• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Floats on J3C-65

KevinSinny

Hello. I’d like to put my J3C-65 on EDO 1320s or 1400s, but it doesn’t look like it’s approved per the TCDS. I have not been able to find an STC for those specific floats, even though I know it’s been done for years. Also, does the STC (if available) effectively change the aircraft to a J3C-65S? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TCDS A-691 shows IV. J3C-65 and V. J3C-65S (same except for landing gear [floats - items 151, 206, or 208]). Is there something that prohibits installing floats on the J3C-65 from becoming a J3C-65S? No expert here tho.

Edit: I see there's also some S/N callouts to comply with.

Gary

Last edited:
TCDS A-691 shows IV. J3C-65 and V. J3C-65S (same except for landing gear [floats - items 151, 206, or 208]). Is there something that prohibits installing floats on the J3C-65 from becoming a J3C-65S? No expert here tho.

Gary
Thank you, Gary.
I guess I’m getting caught up on the note under Landing Gear and Floats stating that the listed floats are eligible only on those models whose designation ends with “S,” unless otherwise indicated.

Gary
That is your answer.

Okay, guys, the very same terminology is found in the Super Cub TC. Technically, floats are only legal on the PA-18S model.

As far as anyone I've ever talked to in the FAA, a PA-18 becomes a PA-18S when it goes on floats.

Same thing applies here. No STC required. The floats are called out as approved on the TC.

MTV

Approved floats on a J3 though are 1140's... are any others per the type certificate?

Attachments

• IMG_1071.jpg
    IMG_1071.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 167
"As far as anyone I've ever talked to in the FAA, a PA-18 becomes a PA-18S when it goes on floats".
"Same thing applies here. No STC required. The floats are called out as approved on the TC".

The above is not correct. The S suffix specifies an anti-corrosion treatment applied at the factory during manufacture.

"As far as anyone I've ever talked to in the FAA, a PA-18 becomes a PA-18S when it goes on floats".
"Same thing applies here. No STC required. The floats are called out as approved on the TC".

The above is not correct. The S suffix specifies an anti-corrosion treatment applied at the factory during manufacture.
From TC 1A2 page 4:
"Models PA-18S "150" and PA-18AS "150" same as corresponding models PA-18 "150" and PA-18A "150" except landing gear." This seems very clear to me.

The anti-corrosion treatment was an optional order item hot metal which was sprayed on the steel parts, not specific to seaplanes.

I have a set of 1938 EDO 1070 id like to sell, has the rigging, and fly wires, one side on one float has 5-6 small holes poked in it (ink pen size) from when they shipped them up dissasembled and all wraped up together. Was going to put them on my Kitfox but ive changed my mind and think ill stay away from float planes for awhile.

Back