• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

FM 2 way radio installation

RE87-Zulu

PATRON
Sweetwater, Texas
I’m looking for information on installing a FM 2 way radio in my Cub. Like what brand, installation? From what I understand there are only a couple of brands that are certified but they’re very expensive, heavy, and 28 volt.
I am wondering about alternative and how to get it approved, if that’s possible. Maybe 337 OR STC,d.
Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Robert

There are Aircraft FM radios, and in 12 volt, but you’re right, they are expensive.

MTV

I’m looking at the Icom F5121D .... wondering if there’s a way to mount in the panel that is “approved “. Like maybe a field approval?

I think a handheld with an external antenna would be the simplest. 5 watt should be plenty for air to ground work

What kind of 'approval' do you think it requires? Mounting a radio in an instrument panel is not a major alteration. And show me the requirement for a radio to be STC'd or TSO'd.

As for the choices of radios, I like the Vertex ones. If you talk to the boat guys, they all like Icoms. Just be aware that most of these radios are low impedance designs. In order to work with other aircraft avionics, which are high impedance, they will need to be connected through an impedance matching box like the NAT AA34.

When installing an FM, follow all the rules that apply when installing a com radio, such as using mil-spec wire, routing the antenna coax away from other wiring, proper breaker/wire size, and proper antenna mounting.

Web

What kind of 'approval' do you think it requires? Mounting a radio in an instrument panel is not a major alteration. And show me the requirement for a radio to be STC'd or TSO'd.

As for the choices of radios, I like the Vertex ones. If you talk to the boat guys, they all like Icoms. Just be aware that most of these radios are low impedance designs. In order to work with other aircraft avionics, which are high impedance, they will need to be connected through an impedance matching box like the NAT AA34.

When installing an FM, follow all the rules that apply when installing a com radio, such as using mil-spec wire, routing the antenna coax away from other wiring, proper breaker/wire size, and proper antenna mounting.

Web
I was under the impression that it would have to be TSO or a n FAA approved unit (Hahaha,that’s a funny one,”) like Technisonic 136 fm or like that , as far as requirement I don’t know that’s what I am trying to find out, like log book entry etc.

thanks, what you are saying makes sense to me.
Robert

Last edited:
When you consider Technisonic or NAT radios, it's usually because there is a mandate from some outside entity. The only times I install these is when they are used in aircraft that do contract work for the Forest Service or Bureau of Land Management. In those cases, FS or BLM are the entities that require those specific models of radios to be installed in order to meet their contract specs.

If this is for your own aircraft, for your own use, it's a log entry only. And choose your installer wisely. Not all are familiar with installing non aviation radios in aircraft.

Web

15 watts is a HUGE power output. Most com radios for aircraft are in the 5 to 6 watt range. FM/marine radios tend to be higher power, I believe, to help with performance, as higher frequency radios become more and more 'line of sight'.

Lower frequency radio signals tend to follow the curve of the earth. Think HF radios. When the weather is right you can communicate with another unit hundreds of miles away. But as the radio signal frequency increases, the signal no longer follows the curve of the earth. Instead it radiates out from the transmit antenna in a straight line. So if there is a hill between you and the other unit, it may block the signal.

Web

Back