• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Upper door latch

Sher62

I have one of the original Daytona cubs. The upper door latch, which was substandard in my opinion, broke in flight. The only way to fix it is to pull the fuel tank. I want to install a suitable replacement. In addition, this window vibrates terrible in flight, which is what attributed to the breakage. I have measure the placement of the latch compared to other cubs and it's the same. Everything is identical yet theirs doesn't vibrate. Could it have something to do with the thrust kit on it? That's the only difference I can find. Is there a way to install 2 latches to stop vibration? Suggestions??? Bear latch.jpg

Attachments

• Bear latch.jpg
    Bear latch.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 234
For some reason, the web site won't allow me to post the link, but do a search for Cubcrafters Upper door latch. The kit costs $25, is simple to install and works great.

Lowes/HD sells the same cabinet latch for about 4 bucks. If you mount it where CC wants it you can't reach it from the back seat

Glenn

I like the one from Cub Crafters although I'm not sure that will take care of the severe shaking of the window in flight. It shakes so bad that the frame has broken twice. I was hoping to find a solution that would have 2 latches or an explanation as to why it shakes so bad.

Upper door has a center of pressure in flight. Latch placed forward or behind the sweet spot will jump around. later J3 and Pa11 position seems to work best. Easy to make a little bracket between two ribs to mount the latch behind the front spar

Glenn

Sher62, This latch is further forward than yours and does not shake as you describe. It does become unlatched and drops down once in a while but doesn't shake. When you have an unsupported object projected into a strong breeze, it can "flutter". The fluttering causes stress which sometimes can be very damaging. When you move the fixed support forward the flexibility of the object is reduced. Also the clockwise prop blast beats down on top of it exacerbating the issue. An open window on the left side would have the prop blast holding the window up.

20200805_151024_resized_2.jpg
This latch came from West Marine. Sheet metal screws hold it to the leading edge skin. 20200805_151139_resized_2.jpg

Attachments

• 20200805_151139_resized_2.jpg
    20200805_151139_resized_2.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 171
  • 20200805_151024_resized_2.jpg
    20200805_151024_resized_2.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 183
Back