• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Help! How Do I Get this 35" BW Off the Wheel?

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
Have a Cub on 35s that has a small place showing cords and want to flip the tire around so it can make a trip to it's new home where it will go on 31s. I used two pry bars, silicone spray, two of us jumping up and down on it. Don't want to tear up the tire or the wheel. Wish i had a tire machine for once in my life.

Wait until you have to change a Beaver bushwheel. Have you tried putting 1 psi in the tire?
DENNY

Here's a goofy one...lay a bag of ice on the rim. Might make it move vs rubber? Too much coffee.

Gary

Steve
With the tire deflated, lock the brake with the wheel and tire mounted, and try to spin the tire on the wheel by hand. Worked on 31s to break the bead...Might work on 35s.
Mike

Maybe since it’s a carbon cub they can afford to just buy a new wheel and tire setup? I’ll dispose of the old

On a bushwheel the center gets bigger when you add a bit of air, making a vacuum makes it smaller. It don't seem right but that is how it works.
DENNY

Interesting. If the tire moves with a +- air change then do that a few times? I like the Oky tire changer in #3.

Gary

Try a tire bead breaker ( slide hammer type) with a small quantity of gas as lube. The gas soften's the rubber and helps it release. Anyone that changes truck tires or equipment tires should have one . I'm not a fan of the mall , they damage your rims. Hope this helps . Paul

Steve,
I'm sure you have it off by now but if not, try shooting air from an air nozzle between the rim and the tire.

I use a piece of 4x4 and the largest rubber mallet i can find to knock out the second wheel half. If both halves are still in the tire, use a wooden dowl through the bearing hole against the opposite wheel half, and a mallet of course.

Redneck method - - lay it down flat and drive the front wheel of your pickup over the tire, tangent to the rim. Old timer taught me that about 5+ decades ago.

If I am correct that tire has an integral tube? I expect said tube has bonded itself to the rim.

Do you have a source of vacuum that you can attach to the stem, I would see if that might aid in getting the tube to release from the rim halves.

Otherwise, how much air pressure can these tires withstand unmounted? A full pound or maybe two?

With the rim unbolted this might or might not roll the rim halves out. At least get one side to unbond from the tire.

Have a Cub on 35s that has a small place showing cords and want to flip the tire around so it can make a trip to it's new home where it will go on 31s. I used two pry bars, silicone spray, two of us jumping up and down on it. Don't want to tear up the tire or the wheel. Wish i had a tire machine for once in my life.
Only a small place showing cords? Fly it to it's new home where the new owner can cut off the tire since it is to be replaced anyway.

Or paint the area with the rubber coating others are using as a simplified retread.

This worked for smaller tires: 5/8” plywood 16” by 24” with the center cut out just bigger than the size of the hub. May need bigger piece for the bigger tire, and a heavy guy or two.

The 35’s really get stuck huh.

I got a bead breaker from harbor freight. It goes inside the wheel hole where the axle goes. I think it’s for a lawnmower or small tractor. I can’t find it on there site though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back