• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Insurance - Over or Under Insure on Hull Value

TxAgfisher

East Texas
I can see both sides to this argument but thinking about insuring it for a little less than it's "worth" - my rationale is that you don't get that back unless it's a total loss and can't salvage any of the components buying it back. What are your thoughts?

I've seen airplanes underinsured--
insurance company totals it out,
pays the owner, then sells the salvage off to recoup it's payout.
Better IMHO to insure for replacement value or close anyways.

I can see both sides to this argument but thinking about insuring it for a little less than it's "worth" - my rationale is that you don't get that back unless it's a total loss and can't salvage any of the components buying it back. What are your thoughts?

Insure it for what you are willing to sell it for or what it would cost to replace it. I have seen friends underinsured “Totals” loose a big time. Don't under insure would be my advice.

Kurt

Do NOT under insure. If you're going to do so, just buy liability coverage and forget the hull coverage.

MTV

Insurance seminar at SnF a few years ago aligns with what G44 said above: Insure it for what it's actually worth (true replacement cost). Insurance companies will often "total" a plane if the damage comes to 75% of the value (sometimes a LOT lower).

Under-insuring means the insurance company might total an airplane that could be easily fixed. Let's say your plane is worth $80K and you insure it for $50K, then wind up having an incident that could be repaired for $40K. In this case, the insurance company will total the plane and pay you the $50K. You not only don't have the plane, but you don't have enough to replace it.

Over insuring isn't a great idea, either. You may wind up in a situation where the pane SHOULD be totalled by the insurance company, but they elect to repair it instead because it is less money for them... Now you're left with an airplane that's had major damage and repair history that could dramatically impact your ability to sell it again. (Though I would think this is far less of a concern for Cub-type airplanes than for something like a King Air...)

Best bet is to insure it for what it would cost you to replace it.

Depending upon the airplane and insurance company, you may have to ‘show your work’ on an airplane they believe may be over-insured. I’ve had agents call regarding highly modified floatplanes to understand what replacement cost would actually be.

I have also seen more than one person hosed by underinsuring an airplane just in the past year. One ended up with an airplane not as nice as his totaled one, and one is eating some big repair costs. Not worth saving a few bucks in my opinion.

I even increased the ground value of my airplane as a project when we completed major parts of the work. That way, if there was a fire or hangar collapse or goodness-knows-what, I’d be able to replace it with a comparable airplane instead of having to go back to square one and buying a flying project that would need the same rebuild treatment in a few years.

—Amy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good advice, thanks. $25k on the hull made about 20% difference in premium - good news is it's still way less than insurance on my 180!

I’ve seen to many airplanes under insured and totaled when they are still airworthy since the insurance company knows the salvage will be more than what the owner insured it for. If you do under insure, don’t ever put a claim in unless you really know it is totaled!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had my cub "data plate" rebuilt and the insurance co. won't insure for what I just put in it plus the airplane was worth something before I had it rebuilt so they are way off what I think I could sell it for. And I submitted a list of what I did. But to not insure would be crazy if I did like $50,000 damage; I would have to pay that. So I guess ill insure for what they say there max is but it's way short.

I just had my cub "data plate" rebuilt and the insurance co. won't insure for what I just put in it plus the airplane was worth something before I had it rebuilt so they are way off what I think I could sell it for. And I submitted a list of what I did. But to not insure would be crazy if I did like $50,000 damage; I would have to pay that. So I guess ill insure for what they say there max is but it's way short.

What company? I’ve been questioned on three airplanes, but when I provided documentation, they said fine. Go to Barnstormers right now, copy the prices of rebuilt Super Cubs, forward to your insurance and ask them what gives.

Unless you’re asking Carbon Cub “values”.....

MTV

In my case, I bought a good Dec for 42 grand, and the agent said "no, bob, you really need $52k. So that's what we did. That agent taught me a lot about insurance - aviation insurance is complicated and widely misunderstood.

We have several fairly wealthy guys teaching in expensive airplanes with just regular non-commercial policies. Hope they never have an insurable incident.

What company? I’ve been questioned on three airplanes, but when I provided documentation, they said fine. Go to Barnstormers right now, copy the prices of rebuilt Super Cubs, forward to your insurance and ask them what gives.

Unless you’re asking Carbon Cub “values”.....

MTV

I had the same experience yesterday. Insurance company said the best they could do was 40k on my PA-12. I have more than that into the engine and landing gear. I’d never do it again but probably have 80k into it.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

So, what was your reply, you going with that company or continuing to shop?
Clearly these planes are seeing a pleasant rise in value which portions of the industry are reluctant to accept.
I am curious as to what the insurance companies will allow on my one off EX plane.

MTV,
EXCELLENT idea to go to Barnstormers and copy what rebuilt cubs are for sale for and send that to my insurance company. I'll do that. My insurance co. is Regal in Oregon. I sent them a list of what we have done and they came up with the $127,000 value. My value is more like $185,000. Avemco would only value at $110,000 but they said they hadn't received my list but even at that they were double the premium that Regal is charging me.

I’m waiting on other quotes. I just got one quote for $90k on hull insurance. $2900. a year. I built a show quality airplane, and want to protect it, but now I may not be able to afford to keep it. It’s all very disheartening.

FYI, First, my insurance co. said they wouldn't take asking prices to establish value. They want an appraisal if I want more. . Also my premium for a $million/$100,000 liability and $127,000 hull is like $2,000 quoted a year.

I got a better quote today. Shaved off $1100.00 and got the coverage I wanted. At $90k my labor works out to about $2.00 an hour. I guess it only maters if I wreck it.

Do NOT under insure. If you're going to do so, just buy liability coverage and forget the hull coverage.

MTV
Mike

Is Liability ONLY an available option.
I asked a few years ago and was told NO. Must get (and pay for) Hull and Liability.
If Liability ONLY is available, what company offers it?

Jim

Upped the value on my Super Cub $10K for just under $100. Too many expensive parts on a beater Cub not to do it.

Mike

I asked a few years ago and was told NO. Must get (and pay for) Hull and Liability.

Jim

Yes Jim, unless something changed liability only is available. My dad never purchased hull insurance, liability only, he never wrecked or scratched an airplane over all the years so he is way ahead in savings.

Kurt

Mike

Jim

Every company I’ve ever dealt with offers liability only. I’d bet an insurer would rather sell liability only, frankly, though they don’t make as much money. Ask your insurer, I’ll bet they’ll quote.

MTV

They insured my experimental PA12 on wheels at $200,000 hull, ground and flight, for $2,490. $183 more for $1M liability, 100k per passenger.

I think that is very reasonable.

Hey Paul,

That sound incredibly reasonable, almost too good to be true in this current insurance world. Would you mind sharing the outfit you are going with. I am shopping insurance now.
Thanks much.

Try this:

Maggie Anderson

Aviation Account Manager | Fifth Third Insurance
8e8c4036-f48e-499e-92d6-7f7698623f10

Fifth Third Insurance
2325 Green Valley Road, Suite 205, New Albany, IN 47150
502-493-7970 | fax: 502-493-7968

Liability only on my J3. Saved enough over 58 years to buy another really primo aircraft.

OTOH you would be way ahead if you totalled an valuable airplane with hull coverage after say 10 years of flying.
10 years at $1200/yr = $12,000 vs $70K hull value payout.

I am curious where I will be when I come to buying insurance. There are no true comps for them to compare to for estimating value or risk.

Back