• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

1000 lb 160 hp cub.

ag-pilot

SPONSOR
Mt.
I think a 1000 lb 160hp cub with electrical on 8:50s and a Borer prop using all the New STCd light weight parts available now is possible.Have I been breathing too much insecticide lately or am I even Close.
Ag-pilot

Maybe. The lightest (actual weight) I have seen around here is a 1952 that is a great performer with a 160 and a borer prop. It was on original 8:00-4 tires and orig. brake system.. It was still wearing the small tailspring and wheel and a light weight starter. Still had the generator and had a LEES exhaust system on it. Covered in Poly Fiber with no extra chemicals than what was needed. No radios. Full electric but weighed without a battery in it was 1030 on certified scales. Was told of another not far from here with the same setup and batt. installed that they claimed was 1050, but I didn't witness the weighing so the info was second hand. Hope this helps.

I think anything under 1100 is a performer. Depends on what you want. Non electric? You could probably get there. Re build with no landing lights or nav lights no electric and no rear controls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what STC did they se to install the 320 without hydrsorbs? Leading Edge exhaust is way heavier as is the generator.

The light AK airmen’s giveaway cub several years ago was the best exercise in that. They failed to break sub one thousand with a useable legal cub. Given the new struts, they could.

I had a pre-buy lined up on one a few years ago that Pops Dory bought the day before I had it scheduled for. It was 900# and change. If I remember correctly, that was on 8:00's, no interior, trim tab instead of a jack screw, no electric, 160hp, experimental.

I had a pre-buy lined up on one a few years ago that Pops Dory bought the day before I had it scheduled for. It was 900# and change. If I remember correctly, that was on 8:00's, no interior, trim tab instead of a jack screw, no electric, 160hp, experimental.
Experimental is a whole different ball game.

Hey---ag-pilot----How's about a nice PA- 12 at 1080#----as you affectionately refer to as "the fat girl"---HA !

So what STC did they se to install the 320 without hydrsorbs? Leading Edge exhaust is way heavier as is the generator.
Don't know, Steve. I had no hand in it. Just quoted how it was equipped and what it weighed for comparison for others.

Don't know, Steve. I had no hand in it. Just quoted how it was equipped and what it weighed for comparison for others.

Reason I ask is that I have found several Super Cubs upgraded to 150 hp or better and 1750 lb gross weight but with the HE, early Super Cub shock struts. STCs I have see require hydrosorbs.

A buddy who is a guide up here flies a certified cub that's 1030# on 35" Bushwheels. Lots of sacrifices to me made to get that weight and sheet metal parts are such a thin gauge that leading edges and boot cowl have limited lifespans.

Why would you want a great performing cub on small 850's anyway? You could get down to 1000# on 31's if you just pay attention to the small things and give up on your dream of having an electric start.

A buddy who is a guide up here flies a certified cub that's 1030# on 35" Bushwheels. Lots of sacrifices to me made to get that weight and sheet metal parts are such a thin gauge that leading edges and boot cowl have limited lifespans.

Why would you want a great performing cub on small 850's anyway? You could get down to 1000# on 31's if you just pay attention to the small things and give up on your dream of having an electric start.

It can certainly be done. Years ago, a friend had a 160 hp Cub that was an honest 970 lbs. Lightweight fabric, NO mods, no electrics, no seat cushions, no interior, etc. It wasn't the most practical airplane, but....it was a performer! I flew it several times, and was always amazed.

But, would I want to own it? Not without some mods.....:lol:

MTV

The key really is "ounces are pounds, pounds are pain". The plane in question had all the window channels, baggage channels, and trim pieces that were covered by fabric drilled out to save weight. When all was said and done the builder had collected the trimmings and those drilled channels alone saved over 5lbs. Add on bolts that are exactly 2 threads past the nut, missile nuts used everywhere, and not adding too many flashy gauges all add up. Lots of easy weight to save in plexiglass, sheet metal, and using fabric, titanium sheet, or carbon sheet over aluminum where possible. I don't think that corners need to be cut in terms of mods or "bush-ability" to get to 1000lbs. The 1030# cub is a working cub that goes in and out of the roughest spots imaginable every single day.

That said, 1100lbs is a more comfortable number for most people. Everything is much stronger at that weight and less attention needs to be paid to the tiny details of the build. It's easily double the effort to get from 1100 to 1000lbs.

Have I been breathing too much insecticide lately or am I even Close.

Ag-pilot

If you find yourself on your back kicking a lot. Pretty sure its the hopper dope.

Its been done. Bring an accurate scale over and I'll show you one.

I think a 1000 lb 160hp cub with electrical on 8:50s and a Borer prop using all the New STCd light weight parts available now is possible.Have I been breathing too much insecticide lately or am I even Close.
Ag-pilot

With little tires definitely. Start with a old light frame and stock 13 rib wings, don't add anything it doesn't need.

Moving over to Nebraska when the weather breaks. Maybe I'll make enough money to buy those new aluminum struts and get under 1000 on 31's.

I’m thinking with all the usual beef up mods on a stock piper frame, all the light weight electrical mods now available maybe even a earth x battery, aluminum oil cooler,stock or Sutton exhaust standard length 1.25” FAD gear with hydrasorbs. Stock glass. Borer prop.Either no headliner or maybe fabric or carbon fiber. Carbon fiber interior panels and floorboards 8:50s and Cleveland’s basic panel with EI engine gauges and a comm. radio and intercom. Aluminum struts if needed it will be close covered with ceconite and Randolph it will be close to 1000 lbs and be a great performer with a lot of useful load. Last several weighed 1105 to 1125 with all the beef ups on 31s. And All had the Thrustline Mod as will this one.
Is the cubcrafters headerless L-R both system any lighter than stock with Atlee header tanks? Who makes the lightest Starter-belt driven Alternator?
Dave

Last edited:

Crash Jr. i agree on the small tires but this 18 has a special mission and will only fly off pavement and needs 500 lbs of useful load with a couple hrs of fuel in Utility category.
If Crash is your Dad I sure miss him here, he always had good constructive info to post, I’m sure not the only one who misses that.
Dave

With little tires definitely. Start with a old light frame and stock 13 rib wings, don't add anything it doesn't need.

Moving over to Nebraska when the weather breaks. Maybe I'll make enough money to buy those new aluminum struts and get under 1000 on 31's.
Where in Nebraska Mark? Permanent move or spraying?
Dave

i think he was about 100 lbs optimistic.. haha...

Back