• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Performance PA 18 95 90HP Tips?

cubnut

SPONSOR
Canada
I am posting on behalf of a good friend who has just put his PA-18 95 on 1400 EDO floats. No flaps and a relatively stock plane overall. What do you suggest is the best seaplane prop for this plane?

Are there any tricks to squeeze some more performance out it? It has been on wheels most all of its life prior to his ownership.

Thanks,
Cubnut

I would suggest that you try to get at least 4 degrees positive angle between the bottom of the wing and the top of the floats. That can be achieved by adjusting the rear float strut length. Most times, on 1400's that angle is too flat and makes for a really short"sweet spot" and reduces wing angle of attack which can lengthen the takeoff run considerably. I actually like 5 deg. better but you might loose a mph or two in cruise. I don't think any prop that is legal by type certificate will give you the best possible performance. Given a choice in prop, I would be looking at a length of 74 to 75 inches and a pitch of 36 to 40 inches depending on your mission. A GREAT airplane, but IMHO will never be any kind of firecracker on floats. Have run with it!

Correction; Have FUN with it. If you could use one of the newer composite props, you might do even better than the available alum. props.

(Catto 78/36) and make sure the 1400's have boosters on the bottoms? Early models did'nt. If you have to run metal
prop, the C150 Seaplane prop 75/38 was a common one seen all over Alaska on both 18/95's and lots of PA11/90's. If the AOI between the top of the floats and bottom of the wing is less than 4 degrees ( it will be with an unmolested factory rear strut) as Reid has suggested the performance is going to be disappointing.
Lots of Alaskan 95/18's had the starters/ gen n battery's removed for summer float flying, to try and help the performance?
Old family friend had a 18/95 with NO ELEC
Just one tank. Folsoms had installed PK 1800 floats on it in mid 1960's. They had it set up at 5 degrees AOI. It was a great performer light. Was also great in lots of wind compared to 1400's.
Good Luck
E

Sent from my moto e5 go using SuperCub.Org mobile app

At my first Bushwacker flying at Phil Zinks back in 07 a Pa11, C85 on 1400 showed up. It was a brother and sister who were maybe 19 and they were from California. Their grandfather owned the 11 and kept it on New Found Lake in NH. I liked them as soon as I met them because all they had for navigation was a Shell road map. Tom and Kristin spent summer vacation s in NH ever year. It was the first year I had my J4 on floats. My first float plane was a C90 Champ on 1400 that was great solo but a Chris Craft when 2 up. We were the only ones on float so we spent the first day together with me showing them Maine as they had never seen it before. I figured the 11 would be a dog with the 1400 but we had about the same takeoffs side by side. I still have their cell #, maybe I can find out what setup was on that 11.
I really enjoyed showing them all my sweet spots, even a swim at Kineo. Kids like that give me hope for the future.

Glenn

Last edited:
Just heard back from Kristin, maybe her brother, Dad or Grandfather knows the 11s hot setup. She's heading to NH today. She hasn't flown in awhile, one of you should stop and pick her up

Glenn

Back