• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Correct angle for full rudder deflection on a Super Cub?

DanP

Hudson, MA
I am wondering if anyone has a correct angle for full rudder deflection in a Super Cub. I want to check that ours is set up correctly because, when slipping to the left, it felt like the nose did not want to come over very far. Maybe it was the crosswind, but the winds were very light today.

Need more info, is it a PA 18A or just a PA 18. 20 degrees +/- 2 (except 25 ° Right and Left
8e636a68-75b8-44c6-b875-5a38b9ccb087
for Models PA-18A, PA-18 "135", PA-18A "135", PA-18S "135", PA-18 "150", PA-18A "150", PA-18S "150", and PA-18AS "150")
DENNY

just check that it has 1/8" gap to the elevators.... each direction.... thats the correct deflection...

the legal deflection is stated above by denny.....

It should go as far as the rudder stop allows it to go.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Make sure the rudder deflection is determined by actuating the pedal. Moving the rudder by hand will not identify a mis-rigged rudder cable or a rudder cable that is too long.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone. That is great info. Denny's post raises a question: the airplane is a 1950 super cub (one of the very first to leave the factory with flaps). It was originally equipted with an O-235 lycoming. I am guessing the original factory deflection was 20 degrees.
With the install of the O-320, should the rudder deflection be increased to 25 degrees?

Back