• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sensenich adjustable

The Kid

FOUNDER
Thompson Falls
Have many cubbers tried the 72" Sensenich adjustable prop? If so, how does it compare to a Borer or Catto in take off performance? Does it weigh the same as a Catto? Goods, bads and uglies?

Interesting question. Is it approved for certificated Cubs?

We expect metal props to perform better than wood, generally - but I flew an Airknocker with O-200 and a "different" Sensenich wood prop - no metal tips,and "clipped" in appearance. It would turn rated rpm on climb out - an honorary Cub.

For smaller Cubs, there was the gorgeous Beech-Roby. You could adjust it in flight. No idea why it didn't catch on - Univair has the type cert.

I can't speak to the abilities of that particular prop but, generally, I think you have to get into lengths of at least 80" to compete with the props you mentioned. For cruise alone, I am sure a 72" prop can be made to really get the job done. But for takeoff and climb performance the shorter props don't seem to be in the same league as the longer ones.

I had an aeronautical engineer tell me a long time ago that you wanted as long of a prop as you could get for takeoff efficiency. The 72" isn't long and I didn't buy a super cub for cruise.

Just put one on. 76”. Really works great but at the highest pitch setting I can still over speed it.

Jim

What engine are you running?

Sensenich offers two 76” GA props for smaller HP engines and a 82” GA for the 320/360 range.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

If you can over speed it at the biggest bite pitch setting, what is it doing with a flatter pitch setting as to exceeding the tips speed of sound, or even over about 83%, which then looses efficiency fast, I understand? I believe when you pitch your 82" Borer to give you 2700 at about 60 mph on climb out you are loosing climb performance.

Back