• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rear passenger step stool/ladder recommendations

DanP

Hudson, MA
Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a rear passenger step stool/ladder. Want something stable so nobody falls into a wing strut. Thought about getting a paint platform, but I am not sure how well that would fit in the baggage. The stirrup in the back works fine if the passenger is small and relatively limber, but for older, less limber folks it is difficult. Already have a folding front seat and removable rear stick, which should be helpful.

The bride uses something like this around the house. https://www.amazon.com/Acko-Inches-Folding-Adults-Handle/dp/B06XCQVXPN

It also comes in increments down to 10" or so. Weighs about 3-4lbs

61zm442XZDL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Attachments

• 61zm442XZDL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    61zm442XZDL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 143
We have short version of that in the motor home and they work great. That is what I would get if I wanted to cary a step that folds very flat.
DENNY

Last edited:
There is no way I'd use a step stool, unless loading/unloading is ALWAYS done on pavement. Any of those things can easily tip or tilt, and someone's going to get hurt.

Get one of Atlee's long steps for the right side gear. It works far better than the stock stirrup, and it's solid.

MTV

Thanks for the suggestions. For stability on grass, I kind of like the box idea-- maybe even 2'x2', but that would have to stay in the hangar. Would be useful when operating from home field.

There is no way I'd use a step stool, unless loading/unloading is ALWAYS done on pavement. Any of those things can easily tip or tilt, and someone's going to get hurt.

Get one of Atlee's long steps for the right side gear. It works far better than the stock stirrup, and it's solid.

MTV

Would ditto on this...both the risk of asymmetrical loading on uneven surfaces (i.e. tilt) as well as the utility in general of the long step. It helps both pilot and passenger get into my -12

Please forgive the ignorance about the use of the long step, but would the rear passenger enter by stepping over the strut and into the back? Or does it extend far enough back that you could step from behind the strut? My apologies: the only cubs I have the privilege of using are the Super Cub owned by my dad and the PA-11 that I rent. Both have the stirrup.

It extends JUST enough aft past the rear strut that the rear seat pax can use it as a step from behind both struts. It really does work out nicely.

I have the long step and use for both rear and front seat entry. The problem is with 3 inch gear and 31 inch tires some of my larger/older passengers still have a hard time getting in and out. A box would be great but, you may not have the space to take it along. Most everyone that has issues gets a helping hand/shoulder to steady getting in and out.
DENNY

I have one of these in each plane for just that reason. Folds flat, weighs nothing. Holds a lot. Doubles as a seat.

B & R Plastics 152-6BK E-Z Foldz Black 15" 'Neat Seat' Step Stool/Seat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BY2220O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mP1gFbGHE7E0M

I repeat: If you use that on anything but pure level asphalt/concrete, you’re just asking for a nasty fall. Put a foot on one of those asymmetrically, and it’s going to tilt. If your passengers are aged or infirm, I wouldn’t even think of using such a device.

if your passengers are 16 and fit, there’s still a good chance that the thing will tilt.

FWIW,
Which may not be much.

MTV

Well, of course. That's why I also carry one of these for when I'm flying grandma to a picnic on the side of a rocky cliff.

depositphotos_80466116-stock-photo-pogo-stick.jpg

Attachments

• depositphotos_80466116-stock-photo-pogo-stick.jpg
    depositphotos_80466116-stock-photo-pogo-stick.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 116
Back