• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New STOL aircraft model kit

knucles

nevada
Saw a new stol aircraft model being offered as a fast build kit . Performance numbers look good .
aircraft looks really nice . STOLAIRCRAFTCOMPANY.COM
CHECK IT OUT

Interesting but no evidence that one has actually been built. Until they show pictures of a real airplane instead of just computer renderings............................... well buyer beware.

No indication of who is behind the company, what country they are in. If they indeed modeled it in CAD, then there would some statistics along w the pretty renderings.

Oh does their presentation have allot of flaws in it. Granted I have no clue how long that site has been live. But what they depict is in reality an unsubstantiated marketing dream.
For one, they state the CAD platform is Catia, If their designer truly has 20 years in developing aircraft, why does their tubing structure have so many flaws in its design? They claim to have done full FEA analysis and is a true composite construction, why then is the rendering out of proportion and have so many unsupported sections in the structure. If this were a true composite structure there would be no need for the tube structure within it. A composite structure offers considerably more protection in a crash than steel tubing offers.
I like the marketing use of a modified "Riblett" airfoil. Harry Riblett did not design the airfoils we use. He discovered a math error in the original NACA code which resulted in decades of airfoils not performing as well as they could have with some of them having some rather nasty traits as manufactured. His published airfoils offer better performance and flight characteristics than those produced from the original published data.
And I am not sure how or why one would "modify" a Ribblet airfoil.

My opinion, this is just a marketing scam from someone who rendered a proposed dream which has not yet been designed.

Charlie, you are more versed than I in this, but on a side tangent I believe that Bob Burrows started with a Riblett-corrected airfoil and then in discussion with Harry modified it slightly to better suit Bob’s goal.
I’m summarising of course as we would have to hear from Bob for the actuals.
Pb

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Correct, Harry had published airfoil coordinates in 3% increments, as in 12%, 15% etc. Bob is or was using a 13.5% thick airfoil. I believe the plot of his selected airfoil is "on the numbers" of the airfoil he selected. As in the camber of the meanline is as Ribblets corrected design. I could well be wrong but this is what I found when reverse engineering a drawing I came up with.
I am also using a Ribblet optimized airfoil that is similar but not the same as what Bob uses in that I have selected an airfoil that the thickness/lift distribution is further aft, call it more like what you would find on a plane like an RV or Lancair, not that they use Ribblet profiles. Mine is also 13% thick, kind of a PIA since it is not simply half way between published numbers. More complex math to hit what I want.

I don't know everyones level of protection but in the professional world I use Cisco Umbrella. I am at work, not at home and when I tried to hit that side I got a blocked due to a security threat detected by Cisco's security team.

ACType
Block Type
security
Bundle ID
Domain Tagging
-
Host
malware.opendns.com
Org ID
Origin ID
Prefs
-
Query
url=www.stolaircraftcompany.com&server=sea16&prefs=&tagging=&nref
Server
sea16
Time
2020-07-24 19:07:00.149704696 +0000 UTC m=+705097.060541874

Sure enough when I opened the content to review it, it does point to a malware site. So if you visited this site, you might want to check on your system to make sure you didn't pick up something you don't want.

Also if anyone is ever interested in the present threats being seen around the world a good site to check out is

https://talosintelligence.com/

Looks like the went to the trouble of welding up a real frame.

Not impressed with the cad. Maybe a week of work in there? Pretty simple to get to that point. Its all of the small details....

Tim

I do not consider this to be like a Bearhawk since that series of planes has a full steel structure going back to the tail. This being why I stated this to be a copy of a GlaStar, a plane that has steel frame in only the front section of the structure with composite structure aft of that.

I checked back into site.
they are making some updates
there are two versions it seems of the steel cage structures
is it glastar like ?
is it bear hawk like ?
there are many aircraft that resemble other aircraft
I like to follow new aircraft as they develop
some make it and some don’t
lets see how it develops

Back