• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pre Buy what should I look for

Tailpilot

Ft. Worth Texas/Anchorage Alaska
Hello all,

Im headed out this weekend to look at a 1966 pa-18-150 STC 180. Seems like a well taken aircraft that was striped of covering and gone through with a lot of STCs added in 2004 . Does not have extended HD gear right now but it has extended baggage, 2000lb gross weight mod, new dash, new windows, float fittings, seatbelt attachments, dual puck breaks, and a few other nice to have things. It was ground looped in 2014, which is probably normal for most tailwheel planes.

My question is......any specific areas i need to pay attention to? This will be my first cub and up until this aircraft I was considering building one.....Im liking the idea of flying now then later.

I live in Texas and will keep it here for another year or two then the plane will head to Anchorage Alaska for the majority of the time ( My wife and I both work out of there and have a place)

Hello all,

Im headed out this weekend to look at a 1966 pa-18-150 STC 180. Seems like a well taken aircraft that was striped of covering and gone through with a lot of STCs added in 2004 . Does not have extended HD gear right now but it has extended baggage, 2000lb gross weight mod, new dash, new windows, float fittings, seatbelt attachments, dual puck breaks, and a few other nice to have things. It was ground looped in 2014, which is probably normal for most tailwheel planes.

My question is......any specific areas i need to pay attention to? This will be my first cub and up until this aircraft I was considering building one.....Im liking the idea of flying now then later.

I live in Texas and will keep it here for another year or two then the plane will head to Anchorage Alaska for the majority of the time ( My wife and I both work out of there and have a place)

You live very close to Ft. Worth which is very close to Graham Tx. It would be worth whatever it costs to have Steve Pierce take a look at your prospective purchase. Steve lives in Graham.

Paying an experienced mechanic will pay for itself very quickly. First, the old adage if you have to ask...

But there are many pitfalls to an older modified plane. One piece of paper missing in the log books could cost you thousands of dollars and weeks to get back in the air. So many little things mechanics will see that us 'normal' folks miss- and then they research why, and might find that it is just fine, or possible that the frame is rotted out. Yea, lots of little things add up.

A strong Vote for Steve. At the very worst you have it on good authority you are making a great investment.

I used Steve's Pre buy overview on every pa-18-95 I looked at. took awhile to find one that met my standards and then had the Pierces look at it for pre buy. Thanks you again Gilbert, it has been a year now that I have owned it. All I can say is don't buy the shiny paint. Check the hump day zoom meetings. 7/22 and 7/29 for a better insight. If Steve can fit you in then pay the piper it will save you in the end as George said. chip

I used Steve's Pre buy overview on every pa-18-95 I looked at. took awhile to find one that met my standards and then had the Pierces look at it for pre buy. Thanks you again Gilbert, it has been a year now that I have owned it. All I can say is don't buy the shiny paint. Check the hump day zoom meetings. 7/22 and 7/29 for a better insight. If Steve can fit you in then pay the piper it will save you in the end as George said. chip

It seems you got a good bird when you did buy!!

Purchasing a good bird and not having continual break downs is a good thing.

I have not had a chance to look at the plane yet. If it doesn't sell today, im next in line for the plane and Im going to have Steve to a Pre-Buy.

Thanks for the help and hopefully Ill be a cub owner soon

Back