• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Float damage repair

jimboflying

What is the best way to repair this bottom separation?DDAC2924-D1C8-4ABE-BA48-6BF72E158759.jpg

Attachments

• DDAC2924-D1C8-4ABE-BA48-6BF72E158759.jpg
    DDAC2924-D1C8-4ABE-BA48-6BF72E158759.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 344
As requested, more pictures, including one back far enough to see where it is on the float!

That said, Z-spar Splash Zone will fix it: https://www.amazon.com/Pettit-Paint...t=&hvlocphy=9034049&hvtargid=pla-567050220706

Splash zone you can put it in place, shape it, and when it hardens it will be there forever... so if you want a different long term solution, use Splash Zone to get home and then take it off. It will last for multiple years... in fact I have not seen if fall off without getting beat off with a chisel after a week in place.

As requested, more pictures, including one back far enough to see where it is on the float!

That said, Z-spar Splash Zone will fix it: https://www.amazon.com/Pettit-Paint...t=&hvlocphy=9034049&hvtargid=pla-567050220706

Splash zone you can put it in place, shape it, and when it hardens it will be there forever... so if you want a different long term solution, use Splash Zone to get home and then take it off. It will last for multiple years... in fact I have not seen if fall off without getting beat off with a chisel after a week in place.

yes i forget the name of the stuff we used for "temporary" repairs to get you through the season... but it lasted for years!

Thanks for all of the tips. I was able to unzip the rivets of the keel section, massage the parts back into reasonable shapes, add new sealant, and then close it back up. I also used the vacuum cleaner trick to suck sealant back into the float.

Wipaire has download manuals that show all the repair That can be made on there floats. Really good detail.
I have a bit of a problem coming, the rear of the 3000’s are getting dinged from gravel and think of riveting a plate over the skin as a doubler. Anybody done this?

Wipaire has download manuals that show all the repair That can be made on there floats. Really good detail.
I have a bit of a problem coming, the rear of the 3000’s are getting dinged from gravel and think of riveting a plate over the skin as a doubler. Anybody done this?

The only caution I’d offer there is that you might introduce a potential for corrosion, between the layers. Might be able to seal out the water, but you won’t be able to verify that between layers stays dry.

Big deal? Probably not. Legal? Don’t ask, don’t tell.

You must have some pretty gnarly beaches in your neighborhood, though.

MTV

Thank you Mike, yes the gravel is tough and the boss tails it in and there is a lot of boat traffic. I’ve in the process of getting a mooring ball in to keep it off shore. Think I’ll pass on plating the back of the floats.

Does that stuff work well on fiberglass boats? I have a 1991 Bayliner Trophy that’s dinged up a bit.

Exceedingly well! Our Gillnet fleet uses it on all exposed bolts, nuts and corners to prevent the nets from catching. Seen boats with it stuck for 10 years in the same spot. Once it is hard, you can file it, drill it, even tap it. Work it wet and be quick. wear gloves and dip them in water often and you can actually get the surface to become very pliable, then smooth down prior to it setting up. Cleaning it off after it is dry is another matter. If no gloves, it will be under your nails for weeks.

Lay down some rubber matting like an old snow machine track, tires, or paint the area with Gluvit - http://marinetex.com/products/marine-tex-products/gluvit/ - from a boat supply shop.

Gary

Agreed. I didn't realize this was primarily a "home base" issue. In that case, there are lots of things you can do, such as build a wood ramp to protect the floats. The good news there is it'll get slicker than snot, and you can provide entertainment to the beach crowd with your slipping and sliding.....

As Gary noted, snow machine track works well to protect those expensive floats.

MTV

Thank you again guys, this is a must do project before more damage occurs.

It's not rocket science. I really liked wood ramps, cause in a wind, you can "stick" a float on the ramp without danger of damage, then get out. They do get slick, but they also protect the plane from bottom rash. A win-win.

MTV

Back