• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fuselage Cabane Attach Point - Modification

Grant

FRIEND
At Work.....
Is there an approved mod/Beef-up that adds the saddle over the lateral fuselage tube that doubles up the thickness of this fitting?

790b1dc582ef1cfc3a6ffed482260121.jpg

Attachments

• 790b1dc582ef1cfc3a6ffed482260121.jpg
    790b1dc582ef1cfc3a6ffed482260121.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,221
Something like this. This would be a side view. Dotted lin would be the "Strap"

IMG_2393.jpg

56.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,034
  • 56.jpg
    56.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,025
Last edited:
Would have to remove floor to install. Probably easier to just make upper safety cable lug catch both bolts

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Are these things breaking in rough service? I thought it was the bolts that were worrisome.

I don't do safety cables, but my impression is that a properly installed set of safety cables would save you from almost any kind of gear failure.

If I understand the modification correctly, you might have an issue with float installations.

If I understand the modification correctly, you might have an issue with float installations.
Good Point. If you made the wrap of 4130X.040 you would add a considerable amount of strength and would only have to relieve a very small amount in the alum. float blocks. Even thinner would add a lot of strength to that area.

Agreed Grant. The alum fitting for the front cross wires would have to be thinned just slightly.

If you're going around the outside only, would only need a little longer 5/16 bolt.

Are these things breaking in rough service? I thought it was the bolts that were worrisome.

I don't do safety cables, but my impression is that a properly installed set of safety cables would save you from almost any kind of gear failure.

Yes the ears rip off.

Top safety cable must be made to a tight fit for it to be useful, most aren’t

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

If this happens a lot, it seems like a "fix" would be off the shelf from Atlee or CC? Why has this not been addressed before?

now that I think of it... the "repair" of torn off ears also would have that problem.... weld back on ears then weld on thicker doubler beyond tear......

I like the double tab in #5. To make a straighter pull to the lower fitting it may take being a triangle with a third hole for the cable.

Gary

Airframes fittings are double thickness which can be an issue on some float installs. I was thinking a strap cut out and drilled between the gear attach and cabane attach fitting that simply bolts on. We discussed it here years ago.

Airframes fittings are double thickness which can be an issue on some float installs. I was thinking a strap cut out and drilled between the gear attach and cabane attach fitting that simply bolts on. We discussed it here years ago.

If I remember right CubCrafters has a bulletin for early carbon cubs and sport cubs to add a doubler on the fitting

Not necessarily "approved" but you can buy the doubler plates and bushings to weld on stock gear fittings to make them "heavy duty". Total parts cost about $50 per gear fitting plus your time for fitting/welding them on.

Back