• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Changing rear belts on 1978 PA-18

Brian M

FRIEND
Eagle River, AK
I decided it was time to replace the original belts on my stock 1978 cub, as the rear shoulder harness was terribly frayed and didn't even come within two inches of the passenger's shoulders. The installation of the front set went smoothly enough, but when I went to do the rear belts I got stuck. The bolts holding the rear belt in place is in an incredibly tight spot, and I can't even see the nut when I look down in there. I can't tell if it's even accessible without removing the side aluminum panel, and frankly, I didn't want to mess with it too much and cause more problems.

Any simple tips on this? Or are there variations in how the original belts are installed that make a simple answer impossible? Ultimately I can just hand it over to my mechanic and have him install them, but I'm trying to learn how to do simple things on my plane as I go, so if this is doable, I'd like to figure it out.

IMG_9728.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_9728.JPG
    IMG_9728.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 120
Each plane is so different that you have to be ready to pull most everything out to get it done. Pulling panels sounds simple but I have seen planes built (mine) in such a way that you have to pull dash off to get panels out due to large panel overlap. If the nut is on the inside of the tab it should not be too har as long as you can get a wrench on the bolt head, If panel is cut tight around the bolt may have to be removed to get wrench on bolt head. If you get real ambitious you can always take a dremmel tool to the panel and enlarge the hole around the bolt.
DENNY

Each plane is so different that you have to be ready to pull most everything out to get it done. Pulling panels sounds simple but I have seen planes built (mine) in such a way that you have to pull dash off to get panels out due to large panel overlap. If the nut is on the inside of the tab it should not be too har as long as you can get a wrench on the bolt head, If panel is cut tight around the bolt may have to be removed to get wrench on bolt head. If you get real ambitious you can always take a dremmel tool to the panel and enlarge the hole around the bolt.
DENNY
If you go that route, maybe get a shop vac going while you're grinding. Lot less left in the fuselage.

Back