• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fuel line covering

kiwicubber

PATRON
Te Kowhai, New Zealand
Hi, both our 57 Supercubs had some sort of fabric tape covering on the fuel lines and pitot-static lines (aluminium). Part number 11987. Can anyone give me a reference to what might have been used as the covering, or is it recommended to leave the pipes nude, or painted?

cheers Bill

For inspection and future repair reasons I would leave them un covered except in locations where they may chafe against adjacent components. In those places, If you are making new lines and if you think of it ahead of time, you can slide on a few sections of heat shrink and use those as chafe protection. If you are using original lines it may be difficult to get the proper size heat shrink over the b nuts. In those cases you can use any type of chafe protection in those areas that may experience chafing. When these were originally manufactured they did not have access to the materials we have today. I will ususally use what I have on hand. I really like the silicone fusion tape it seems to work really well everywhere I have used it.

Piper used friction tape for covering lots of things, fuel lines, throttle cables, how they secured wiring. Just friction tape then coated with shellac.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back