• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New guy and plane (Experimental PA-12).

AX-O

Recently purchased an Experimental PA-12. I have not flown the plane yet as it had some things the original builder did that needed to be fixed. I am also taking the time to change some things due to personal preference. Looking forward to flying it. This forum has been great info thus far. Thank you.

IMG_0938small.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0938small.jpg
    IMG_0938small.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 346
Great bird! Love the PA-12 I have enjoy yours often.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Thank you all. Plane has an O-360, 3X3 landing gear, catto prop, dual caliper Matco brakes, 10 inch rim on 31 inch tire, 3 inch larger PA-18 tail feathers and is fairly simple inside. It seem fat at 1208 lb empty weight. Has 12.5 lbs ballast on the tail. I will re weight the plane soon just to verify.

50 hours since it was built. It is built with a piper pa-12 fuse and wings the builder had.

One of my students bought a similar aircraft, partially at my recommendation. He is in love with it. His other aircraft is an F-18.

trying to figure out if this forum re sizes pics or if I have to do it manually. A few more pics attached.

IMG_2155SMALL.jpg

IMG_E2156SMALL.jpg

IMG_2191small.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2155SMALL.jpg
    IMG_2155SMALL.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 969
  • IMG_E2156SMALL.jpg
    IMG_E2156SMALL.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 940
  • IMG_2191small.jpg
    IMG_2191small.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 970
Wow!!! Looks REALLY nice!! Interior really cool!!! and loving the door [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

What’s the empty CG?

The cg has a different datum than the original PA-12. The wing incidence was changed by 2 degrees to match the same angle as a PA-18.

Converted empty CG (to PA-12 reference) is 11.9 inches at 1,208 lbs. That is with 12.5 lbs of tail ballast. PA-12 range on the book is 9 to 18.6 inches aft of the wing leading edge.

Hoping to get some weight off the plane. Have a few ideas.

Wow!!! Looks REALLY nice!! Interior really cool!!! and loving the door [emoji106]

The interior is stiff but should work well. I am in the process of changing the seatbelts. They are 3 inch wide and not comfortable at all. Will post that later for those of you that want to use Crow seatbelts on your experimental aircraft. The front seat is from a cessna 150 and has a track. So the seat can move 4 clicks forward/aft.

Awesome looking bird! Those seats look comfortable! Where are you located?

Thank you. I am located in CA.

Nice bird, you know chicks dig PA-12 !!! that's why I sold mine between my good looks and a plane like that..... well its spells trouble!! you've been warned!! Just Saying!

I put 3" belts in my Cub at rebuild. Not only were the 3"ers uncomfortable, they are really heavy, like about 6# heavier than the 2" belts that replaced them.
Utah 12 Driver, about the "between my good looks..." I have to say "cough-cough".

Nice bird, you know chicks dig PA-12 !!! that's why I sold mine between my good looks and a plane like that..... well its spells trouble!! you've been warned!! Just Saying!

Wow... I better be careful. Sound like I have new responsibilities with this new plane. I cannot believe this. This is something that should have been included with the paperwork.

I put 3" belts in my Cub at rebuild. Not only were the 3"ers uncomfortable, they are really heavy, like about 6# heavier than the 2" belts that replaced them.

The seatbelt weight is something my wife did not like right off the bat. Then she put the seatbelts on and they rubbed on her neck. I called Crow Enterprizes and designed new ones. They were also very stiff and made it hard for me to reach the flap handle. The geometry for the shoulder harness is not the best for the front seat but short of welding a new cross tube, the only other thing I can do will put the shoulder harness in my wife's face.

IMG_2069small.jpg

IMG_2077 small.jpg

Pic of seatbealts currently being installed.
IMG_2186small.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2069small.jpg
    IMG_2069small.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 778
  • IMG_2077 small.jpg
    IMG_2077 small.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 765
  • IMG_2186small.jpg
    IMG_2186small.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 766
Other than it’s handsome appearance, what drew you to buy this particular experimental PA12? Why did the builder sell such a beauty?

That location for attaching the shoulder harness ought to be moved. When it is attached as it is, if an accident should happen that tube will buckle towards the passenger. Then if/when there is a rebound of the passenger the kink in the tube could impact her neck/back of head with disastrous results. The shoulder harness ought to be connected to a cluster of tubing or a specially welded fixture. You could use a substantial cable to extend the length of the harness to a proper attachment location. There are many safer options available.

Other than it’s handsome appearance, what drew you to buy this particular experimental PA12? Why did the builder sell such a beauty?

I wanted an Experimental cub type aircraft. That would allow me to do the majority of the maintenance work. This one was available at the time I was looking to purchase. I am not sure the reasoning for the seller.

That location for attaching the shoulder harness ought to be moved. When it is attached as it is, if an accident should happen that tube will buckle towards the passenger. Then if/when there is a rebound of the passenger the kink in the tube could impact her neck/back of head with disastrous results. The shoulder harness ought to be connected to a cluster of tubing or a specially welded fixture. You could use a substantial cable to extend the length of the harness to a proper attachment location. There are many safer options available.

Sir,
thank you for the post. I am new to these types of planes. Will research this more. Would you have a picture showing examples of mounting locations? Or a place where I can see an example for the PA-12 with the big cross tube?

I installed harnesses in my -12 by wrapping plastic insulated 1/8 cable around the rear spar attach cluster, and used the left side over the right shoulder and visa-versa. I'm always annoyed when the harness catches around the back of your neck. The Y harnesses never seem to be comfortable for me, especially if the Y portion is too close to your back. This fixed it up nicely, and should comply with regs - and since you have a simple interior, should be an easy install. The rear harness could be attached by a cable to rear clusters, at a length to suit. You might also check CAR 8 about harnesses. The old Restricted category guys knew a lot about crash worthiness and how to properly install.

I installed harnesses in my -12 by wrapping plastic insulated 1/8 cable around the rear spar attach cluster, and used the left side over the right shoulder and visa-versa. I'm always annoyed when the harness catches around the back of your neck. The Y harnesses never seem to be comfortable for me, especially if the Y portion is too close to your back. This fixed it up nicely, and should comply with regs - and since you have a simple interior, should be an easy install. The rear harness could be attached by a cable to rear clusters, at a length to suit. You might also check CAR 8 about harnesses. The old Restricted category guys knew a lot about crash worthiness and how to properly install.

sir, do you have any pics?

I flew it 3.0 today. Did over 20 landing in every imaginable config. OAT was approx 110 with DA at 6,000ish.

Back