• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Edo question

cubdriver2

FRIEND
upstate NY
Anyone know anything about EDO (2250?) amphibs for a Super Cub? They made 12 sets supposedly for fish spotters, 339JHS by stc?

Glenn

Last edited:
Anyone know anything about EDO (2250?) amphibs for a Super Cub? They made 12 sets supposedly for fish spotters, 339JHS by stc?

Glenn
I've installed two different sets on three different Pa-18s and helped with the maintenance for nearly 50 years. What do you want to know? Nice floats, perform well. They have the fluted bottoms like the 2440, 2870 etc. Hydraulic up and down locks separate from an over center arm. 5:00-5 main tires. Nice soft ride on rough ground. Lousy brakes which can be changed to disk Clevelands. I got a couple of FA's for different high pressure master cylinders along with using double disk brakes. After upgrading the brakes you can lock the wheel while taxing if you wish. If I had to choose between the EDO 339s and a set of Wip for my Cub, I'd take the EDOs any day of the week. Their handling is far superior to Wips. They are round tops which for some people is not acceptable.

J Frey called me back tonight and gave me the history on them. He said pretty much what Pete said

Glenn

Do you happen to know the weight of these or the exchange weight? Thx
The complete installation for a PA-18 weighs 348 pounds @ 13.2" aft of the datum (WLE).
From this weight subtract the weight of the landing gear which is removed.

Also are the actuators and hydraulics similar to any other models so I could get parts?
The only common parts are readily available "O" rings. The hydraulic power pack is manual pump from a SeaBee mounted on the floor ahead of the stick. You could install an aftermarket electric system like that which is used by other manufacturers if you wish.

Last edited:
J. Frye told me 20 years ago to avoid them like the plague: Maintenance nightmare.
Paul, I believe that you are confusing the 339-JHS floats with the 2700 electric actuated amphibs. Those were a maintenance nightmare, many of which were converted to hydraulic by Ben Wiplinger. JJ also told me that EDO wished they had never built them.

turbofan,
Judging by your questions as well as those by Glenn who also is in upstate NY, I suspect that you are looking at a particular set of these floats which have been in the northeast for years? If so, make certain that you get the rear float fittings which bolt onto the fuselage as they are particular to these floats. The fixed EDO 2000 fittings don't work since the alignment is different. Too often when floats are removed from a plane, the plane is sold separately from the floats and the fittings which belong to the floats disappear with the plane. I've seen this happen with the 339 floats. If you have the weld on fittings, you will be able to avoid this issue.

That particular set is the one with the good double disk brakes.

Last edited:
Yes, thank you for the info,
That is a good set, you will not go wrong. They have not been used a lot over the past 40 years, have always been kept in a hangar. were completely stripped and repainted a few (20 or so) years ago. Serial numbers 20 and 21 as I recall. The owner installed a constant speed prop in later years. I did not fly it with the CS but did observe it taking off in the water. I was impressed.

I've got a stock pa-18 150hp that I'd be marrying it up to, I heard they were heavy floats but someone posted 335 give or take which is reasonable....the wip 2100A are similar in weight.....what should the price be on these? There's no price listed

Sent from my Pixel 3 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

The 339s are only 80 pound more than a set of straight 2000s. That's not a bad compromise for a larger set of amphibs. I can't help you on the price. I do know they were removed from the plane nearly two years ago, which is why I'm concerned about the fittings as I don't know the whereabouts of the plane. It is still listed with the same owner. The owner is a strange dude with plenty of money. It's hard to tell what mood he's in today. No more in a public forum.

Can you PM me the link to the ad? Perhaps I can glean more information from that for you?

Last edited:
I just remembered an incident with this set of floats. The owner had someone (an experienced PBY pilot :lol:) fly it to Florida for him, where that pilot forgot to extend the landing gear on some pavement. As I recall there was minimum damage done due to the solid keels extrusions and the landing being a good one. This type of keel can absorb a lot of abuse without repairs being needed.

That's the link to the FAA's listing. I doubt you could find the STC owner. I do have a very blurred copy.

We have a set on our experimental PA-18. 180hp with Catto 86/38. They are handy, but quite heavy. Struggle to get 85mph. The single puck brakes work well, but on gravel you should replace the bleed nipple with a plug is operating on gravel. A couple years ago, I researched the hydraulic actuators. Made in 1957 by Electro Air, no luck finding any parts. A local hydraulic shop had the correct O-rings. JJ is the man! Very knowledgeable.

Bryan

We have a set on our experimental PA-18. 180hp with Catto 86/38. They are handy, but quite heavy. Struggle to get 85mph.

Bryan
If you are struggling to get 85 mph, you have issues which are not the floats. All three of the -18s which I was involved with were stock 150 hp except one had 160 hp. They all would do in excess of 100 mph. It is more likely the diameter and pitch of your prop.

EDIT: Additionally you are likely flying forward of your forward CG limit. You would do well to weigh the plane and to place some ballast in the tail. Moving the CG aft allows you to trim more nose down reducing drag.

Last edited:
turbofan,
Judging by your questions as well as those by Glenn who also is in upstate NY, I suspect that you are looking at a particular set of these floats which have been in the northeast for years? If so, make certain that you get the rear float fittings which bolt onto the fuselage as they are particular to these floats. The fixed EDO 2000 fittings don't work since the alignment is different. Too often when floats are removed from a plane, the plane is sold separately from the floats and the fittings which belong to the floats disappear with the plane. I've seen this happen with the 339 floats. If you have the weld on fittings, you will be able to avoid this issue.

That particular set is the one with the good double disk brakes.

Pete, do they mount to weld on fittings ok? Do they use just a manual hand pump, no electric pump?

As with any make/model float, the fitting which connects the upper end of the rear strut to the weld on fitting will have to be made for the particular installation. A simple procedure with just a chunk of aluminum and your own wire pull design. All of the different floats of which I am aware, supply their own rear strut to fuselage bolt on fittings.

The original approved installation only used a Sea Bee hand hydraulic pack mounted on the floor between the pilot's legs. You could install an electric pump system of your own design if desired. Just make sure to mount it aft for CG purposes. All amphibs move the empty CG forward which is very likely the major issue in post #20.

If any of you are looking to buy this set which I think you are talking about, ask for the installation drawings with the floats. The owner should have them.

There's this other set of JHS339 amphibs located in sweden with Cessna 172 rigging..... could my current supercub RIGGING on my edo2000s for my supercub be TRANSFERRED to this other set of jhs amphib floats and work on my supercub??

Any info appreciated

Sent from my Pixel 3 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

There's this other set of JHS339 amphibs located in sweden with Cessna 172 rigging..... could my current supercub RIGGING on my edo2000s for my supercub be TRANSFERRED to this other set of jhs amphib floats and work on my supercub??

Any info appreciated.
That would be a---maybe some of it? The float center line is different, the spreader spacing is different, the deck fitting design is different, the angle the floats mount in relation to the wing is different, the angle between the struts and fuselage is different all when compared to your EDO 2000. When these angles change the design angles within the fittings must also change to match. These just off the top of my head. My guess is that you could use the water rudder retract handle. You may be able to use the 172 struts and some fittings, just in different locations? There are many questions, some of which would require a good understanding and ability to think through the process of that which you are asking.

As Bryan noted in post #20 above, he has some issues. Since he has not replied further, we can not know what those issues actually are. He may have the 339s mounted at the same angle in relation to the wing as are the EDO 2000s. This alone would be in error and would produce a large drag component.

Is there a reason you are not going with the particular set we talked about? You can PM your reason if you wish. I would be interested in learning if something has changed with this particular set of floats which makes them undesirable. Especially when one talks about importing a set from Sweden. If you have learned something about this set which I don't know, please advise. I will stop recommending them. They were a very good set when I last had anything to do with them. I would have had no reservations about installing that particular set on my own airplane.

As you can see, these are multiple copies of copies. The odds of finding clearer copies are very slim. This STC is for both the 339-JHS floats and the339-2250. The original customer bought 10 sets to use for fish spotting in Louisiana with PA-18s.

20240225_065103.jpg
20240225_065129.jpg

20240225_065212.jpg

20240225_070000.jpg

Last edited:
Back