• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wheel skis - experimental

Datums are getting to be alot like Catto props....... Folks are simply bolting them on and running them. Incredibly nice performance from a wheel ski, Simple and LITE.

Just polling the crowd here. I am making some (positive?) progress on a FA for Summits on my 18-150. Mark's 337 is incredibly helpful, but is for the LSA size ski whereas I'd be looking for a FA on the 2300's. Before I push forward collecting a bit more data from folks, is there anyone that happens to know anyone with a 337 for 2300's? My IA and DER are willing to look at whatever they can get their hands on.

I was trying to do a DER approval for Summit skis, ran into an issue where Summit either doesn’t have, or won’t share any structural data on the skis. In order to do either a Field approval, or a DER approval, you need to show that the skis at least meet the requirements of TSO C28 sine both CAR 3 and CAR 4 require “certified” skis. If someone could come up with the data, it would be a piece of cake, but without the data it’s a no go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was trying to do a DER approval for Summit skis, ran into an issue where Summit either doesn’t have, or won’t share any structural data on the skis. In order to do either a Field approval, or a DER approval, you need to show that the skis at least meet the requirements of TSO C28 sine both CAR 3 and CAR 4 require “certified” skis. If someone could come up with the data, it would be a piece of cake, but without the data it’s a no go.

What about previously approved field approvals? Have one for the Lsa and 2300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have to imagine that they have some sort of data http://summitaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/LSA-Ski-Test.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be, Glenn. Hadn’t tried with them. The TSO calls out an SAE spec, and you need to pay for the spec before you can even see what they want. Since I couldn’t get any data on the Summit skis, I didn’t invest in the spec to see if they complied or not.

Has anyone tried running grove HD/double puck calipers with summit wheel penetration skis? If so, what modification to the calipers was required? I inquired with Mike from Summit and he said that modification might be required. Additionally he said that the summits would not work with Beringer brakes. I assume the grove HD calipers probably need to be indexed a particular way to clear the ski. If anyone knows or has experience, that'd be helpful.

Aircraft is a carbon cub FX3 so the factory might know how to do this. I'll probably keep separate set of 6" wheels with 31's mounted for summer use and was hoping for quick change capability by keeping the double pucks on with the summit skis on 8.50's.

You can see here how they mounted them, can anyone tell if these are single or doubles?

p.jpeg
Screenshot_20211024-155807_YouTube.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211024-155807_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20211024-155807_YouTube.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
I’ve never wanted wheel penetration skis but with my current home they’d work fine. Summits are a little small for my plane but I am curious about Trick Air Alaskans. Anyone using them? I could modify Airglass 2500s for less $$ but the Tricks are interesting.

I can't run double puck brakes with my Datums, this saves me weight and money, and doesn't seem to effect the stopping distance much, especially when on the skis. (?) But I HATE getting out short landed by a pilot landing faster, but stopping shorter because of a pumped up brake system, luckily that is rare. And I sure don't want to mess with converting back and forth from single to dual pucks so single pucks work fine for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20180310_104137567.jpg
    IMG_20180310_104137567.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 122
I have the 2250 TrickAir skis on my Supercub flown in the Alberta prairies and I love them. For the 2-3 feet of snow we get here they work great. I considered getting the 2500 Alaskan’s but didn’t like the extra 19 lbs each but in really deep snow would be beneficial.

I’m giving my Trick airs a little color match rehab before I rig them to my new EX 11….I flew 2 seasons on my 65 hp J3 with these and they are nice. They are 29 lbs each though. They get the job done and the convenience of landing on the runway or better yet in and out of the hangar is worth it. I found these used a few years back for a descent price….I can’t recall, but I think around half of new or just slightly more.
1C38611C-3809-43CF-BB1F-D706286D669A.jpg

Attachments

• 1C38611C-3809-43CF-BB1F-D706286D669A.jpg
    1C38611C-3809-43CF-BB1F-D706286D669A.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 127
If any of you with Trickair or Summit skis would post a photo of the gear leg attachment I’d sure appreciate it. :)

Great idea. I’m thinking about penetration skis and the attachment to TK-1 gear will require creativity. Thanks for sharing.

If any of you with Trickair or Summit skis would post a photo of the gear leg attachment I’d sure appreciate it. :)

these are 2250s. You set them up with 3/4 inch clearance at the front of the ski. This is fine if on hard surface or grass but if on a gravel surface you could scratch them up. They handle a bit different as there is no skeg. So you will find easy to drift or slide in a turn.

I would actually sell these with the 3 inch gear (or separately)now that I finished my 180 cub and installed the GLH 3000 hydraulic skis. Lots of clearance now. Only need one cub on skis.

Attachments

• 54D86C7F-15F7-4E18-BE4D-A342B3E5FC6C.jpg
    54D86C7F-15F7-4E18-BE4D-A342B3E5FC6C.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 137
  • 39C3D57A-EF25-45EA-85A7-33E64FF31207.jpg
    39C3D57A-EF25-45EA-85A7-33E64FF31207.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 179
  • 8B6B6D36-9C8F-4B97-9A94-196C129F385D.jpg
    8B6B6D36-9C8F-4B97-9A94-196C129F385D.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Thank you for the photos. If anyone has attached a penetration ski install bracket to TK-1 gear I’d appreciate a pirep.

Attachments

• 04B371E9-AC05-4691-91E4-55CCC6A01A82.jpg
    04B371E9-AC05-4691-91E4-55CCC6A01A82.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Ed,
After a season or two, have you been happy with the GLH3000’s? If your Cub was an experimental, would you still have that ski setup? We’re building a “heavier” Cub with an IO375 and ground adjustable prop. I’m down on the Kenai, but most of my winter flying will be in the interior.
Johnny

these are 2250s. You set them up with 3/4 inch clearance at the front of the ski. This is fine if on hard surface or grass but if on a gravel surface you could scratch them up. They handle a bit different as there is no skeg. So you will find easy to drift or slide in a turn.

I would actually sell these with the 3 inch gear (or separately)now that I finished my 180 cub and installed the GLH 3000 hydraulic skis. Lots of clearance now. Only need one cub on skis.

Johnny, have you looked at Rosti skis? My nephew just bought LH3000s for his exp Cub. He’s north of $20K including installation of the pump. Last I checked I could buy Rostis for less than LHs. Datums are a little less than that. I think Rosti and Datum both have better ground clearance with skis up, and that should be a consideration if you plan to fly during breakup.

Good morning.
Literally just hit “send” on email to Snowbirdxx to inquire when your post popped up!
Last I heard he was making batches of 5 or more to keep cost down. We’ll see.
Also am exploring info on Datum’s.
J

Good morning.
Literally just hit “send” on email to Snowbirdxx to inquire when your post popped up!
J

4 Cubs around here flying Datums and everyone loves them

Glenn

What is the measures of those 2500 Datum? Are they 64" x 14"? Look to be a little small to me.

CarbonConcept are 72" x 19" ?

My Flylite 3000 retract are 72 x 22

My UglyStraight are 67 x 16

EDIT: Unable to reach Thomas Dietrich/manufacturer. Looks like last time he chimed in at ski plane.org was 2014

Good morning.
J

Find him on Facebook and send a note on Messenger. That’s the only way I was able to reach him.

PS- make sure he knows they're for a Cub. The skis aren’t the same as Husky skis.

Last edited:
Back