• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Supercub Tail Feathers

gstrampher

Hunters, WA
I am getting a set of PA-18 tail feathers ready for my PA-12. I bought an extra PA-12 parts plane with supposed Supercub tail feathers, but my PA-18 elevators won't fit on the horizontal stabalizers that came with the parts plane. The parts plane was a floatplane, did they call for something bigger on the tail section? Could someone give me the dimensions of their Supercub tail feathers? Especially the hinge pin distances.
Thank you, George

Thanks, I'm thinking PA-22 feathers or I read in another thread that the PA-18-90hp had smaller tail feathers. So I guess the guy that sold them to me might have been right about them being Supercub tail feathers...

J3, PA11, PA12, PA16 and PA18-90 all had the same unbaanced tail feathers. PA20 and PA22 balanced tail feathers are about 8-10" shorter each side than PA18 balanced tail feathers.

Doug there was a thread on here about that and how effective the PA22 tail vs the PA18. If I remember right someone said it didn’t make much difference . I bought the Sullivan STC for a 18 tail, never saw a STC for the 22. There is also a STC for squared off controls from Sullivan but after you pay for the STC he won’t give you the drawings or measurements, sends you to Dodge who sell them. Kind of a underhanded deal, lowered my opinion of Mr. Sullivan.

I used to fly a 150 hp PA-12 with stock tail feathers. Elevator was a little heavy but not uncomfortable. I don’t remember what STC was used for the engine installation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's the size difference between PA-18 and PA-22 tail feathers. Not my picture, but stolen from faceplant.
supercubpa22tail.JPG

Attachments

• supercubpa22tail.JPG
    supercubpa22tail.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 297
Can I use 20-22 balanced on a -12 for 150hp upgrade or do I have to use -18 tail?

Here's the size difference between PA-18 and PA-22 tail feathers. Not my picture, but stolen from faceplant.
View attachment 49970
Before you entertain the idea of using a -22 tail on a -12 or -18, consider this by Raoul Hoffman in 1936. "The size of the horizontal and vertical tail area is influenced by the characteristics of the wing section, the location of the center of balance (CG), the characteristics and location of the tail area, and the downwash from the main wing."
The -22 has a shorter fuselage arm as well as a shorter span, less area wing than a -12 or -18. Just bolting on a smaller tail because it has balanced surfaces is not the answer. There are other considerations.

The PA20/22 tail feathers are the same width as the tail on the J3, PA11, PA12 and PA18-95. There is an STC for the balnced PA20/22 tail feathers on the PA11. Got a field approval for them on a PA18-95. Made a huge difference in the heavy feel on the 90 hp Super Cub when slow and also felt like it gace more elevator authority that we lost when we moved the battery under the front seat. I pesonally prefer the battery/CH aft.

From a fellow PA-12 builder, I’ve found there really isn’t any short cut building them. By far easier to just get ready to spend the money and not chase around trying to save and get the same results. The 12 in most cases isn’t the best investment for return on your money, the 18 is the much better investment. A lot of guys have tried all these thing, including myself and ended up biting the bullet and going with a STC on the PA -18 tail.

Thank you everyone for you advice and comments on Super Cub tail feathers.
I ordered two new PA-18 horizontal stabs and elevators from F. Atlee Dodge...

Bit late in the day but just looked at possibly some relevant drawings, PM me with an email if you want the .pdf sent over

Kind regards

Stew

Attachments

• 12770_Elevator Assembly.jpg
    12770_Elevator Assembly.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 179
  • 12769_Stabilizer Assembly.jpg
    12769_Stabilizer Assembly.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 12573_Rudder Assembly-Covered-1975.jpg
    12573_Rudder Assembly-Covered-1975.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 197
Thanks Stew, I already found and downloaded these pdf's. They confirmed what I read on this thread about my tail feathers...

"The Award Winning"(Dam Sizemore)Steve Pierce comes thru again! great insight my friend!

I wouldn't want anything but PA-18 tail feathers on a PA-12 they are nose heavy anyway you do it. Buy the PA-18 feathers and sleep well at night knowing your plane is safe and compliant. These planes see too much backcountry time to play around with anything funky! i would think a forward slip with PA-22 feathers "could" get interesting in a hurry, maybe not but why risk it!

Back