• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Opening Side Windows

From the POH...

There is nothing I could find related to limitations. however, in the Alternate Air System description it suggest the windows can be opened in cruise.

windows.png

Attachments

• windows.png
    windows.png
    380.9 KB · Views: 878
Mine say don’t open above 100mph. When you open a window keep an eye on your rear windows. They’ll be vibrating quite a bit.

Unless you can open it all the way, right up against the bottom of the wing,
I wouldn't recommend opening windows in flight.
IMHO it's pretty tough on the hinges, and the latches / hold opens.

As a general rule, I've always avoided opening Cessna windows above about 100 mph. Some later models have a slightly higher limit, but 100 mph seems to work fine on all I've opened windows on.

MTV

I don't plan on opening them. Just installed new glass, springs, and new latches. Too pretty to open. I use snap vents in the windows. Works well.

Taking photos through plexiglass leaves something to be desired, though some great ones have been taken that way, but an open window offers better results.

MTV

The Cessna manual for my 180J states the windows can be open below 105 KIAS. When doing photography I remove the screw from the restraining arm and push the arm back into the window frame. Inflight the window just floats parallel to the wing. I’ve been doing this over 20 years and the hinges are still tight.

I had one fly open in flight. Latch failed. We were in clouds on a student training flight, and I had to monitor the student, hold the window, and think about the approach. And I have a hard time doing only one thing at a time. Cold, and wet. Bubble windows, 180.

On the other hand, I decided to do an entire flight with the Decathlon window open. Never tried it at full power before, but with Covid, I figured ventilation was better than good hinges. Did fine. No symptoms yet - we both wore masks.

Back