• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

1 1/2 wheel to 1 1/4 axel

MoJo

FRIEND
ND
I have a 26” tires w 40-75D wheel and 30-52N brake on Dodge 3” x 1 1/2” axel gear that I would like to put on my 3” x 1 1/4” axel gear where I currently have 40-60 wheel and 30-60A brake (and set up for skis).

I’m trying to find the least amount of work/parts to swap back and forth from 8.50’s on 1 1/4 to the 26” from 1 1/2”. I’ve been told that torque plate likely will not match. Trying to avoid gear swap when changing wheels.

Anyone done this?

Last edited:
F Atlee Dodge makes a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 axle adapter kit. Trying to change bearings and cups from 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 just won't work. The adapters are not FAA approved but they work great, so you can put the 1 1/4 3" gear on and just change to the adapters and your 1 1/2 wheels.

F Atlee Dodge makes a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 axle adapter kit. Trying to change bearings and cups from 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 just won't work. The adapters are not FAA approved but they work great, so you can put the 1 1/4 3" gear on and just change to the adapters and your 1 1/2 wheels.

but will the brakes bolt on?

I do not have a bearing catalog in reach but there are taper roller bearings that share the same OD. A few of them share the same outer race which means just changing the inner roller set will do the swap.
Not sure if I can get to the search for the bearing numbers this afternoon.

I do not have a bearing catalog in reach but there are taper roller bearings that share the same OD. A few of them share the same outer race which means just changing the inner roller set will do the swap.
Not sure if I can get to the search for the bearing numbers this afternoon.

thanks for that Charlie, but I’ll need to know what I will have to do with the brakes. New torque plate? New holes? No one answers the phone at Parker Cleveland, thought maybe they might know.

The brake torque plates do have different part numbers. The are differences between most brake torque plates, offset and bolt pattern. I don't see a 30-25N so I'm assuming there a 30-52A brake, torque plate part number is 75-54A. For the 30-60A the torque plate part number is 75-125. Most cubs have a 4 bolt flange to mount the torque plates, but some torque plates have 6 holes. Finding the correct torque plate can be difficult and they are not cheep to buy new. Do you have torque plates for both brake set ups?

The brake torque plates do have different part numbers. The are differences between most brake torque plates, offset and bolt pattern. I don't see a 30-25N so I'm assuming there a 30-52A brake, torque plate part number is 75-54A. For the 30-60A the torque plate part number is 75-125. Most cubs have a 4 bolt flange to mount the torque plates, but some torque plates have 6 holes. Finding the correct torque plate can be difficult and they are not cheep to buy new. Do you have torque plates for both brake set ups?
I corrected that. It is a 30-52N.

Just trade/sell your 1 1/2 stuff and get new/used 1 1/4 rims disks to go on the Dodge gear. You will be money ahead in the long run. I have seen a lot of mixed sets that the owner tried to get by cheaper but to took hours/days of shop time to get it all to work right. After that misplace a spacer and you are back at step one. Base the axle size off the ski type you are going to run. Most retractable skis built for cubs were done around 1 1/4 axles/brakes. The nipple on the back of 1 1/2 brake can cause issues. I have never had a problem trading an 1 1/2 rim/rotor for 1 1/4 someone always wants the bigger axle rim. Building a bastard system is just asking for issues.
DENNY

Just trade/sell your 1 1/2 stuff and get new/used 1 1/4 rims disks to go on the Dodge gear. You will be money ahead in the long run. I have seen a lot of mixed sets that the owner tried to get by cheaper but to took hours/days of shop time to get it all to work right. After that misplace a spacer and you are back at step one. Base the axle size off the ski type you are going to run. Most retractable skis built for cubs were done around 1 1/4 axles/brakes. The nipple on the back of 1 1/2 brake can cause issues. I have never had a problem trading an 1 1/2 rim/rotor for 1 1/4 someone always wants the bigger axle rim. Building a bastard system is just asking for issues.
DENNY

That is going the wrong way for my application. I have a full setup of 1.25 on hydraulic skis, and a full setup of 1.5 with 26’s, but I require a hoist to swap gear vs a jack to swap wheels. If I didn’t have to schedule and pay $100 an hour every hoist session, that is the way I would do it. Maybe a wing jack purchase is the way to go. I got ambitious today and discovered that both brakes fit on the 1.25” torque plate. So bearing id/od change or axel adapter is the way I’m leaning.

DENNY
I didn’t read this correctly the first time . “Trade” was key part I missed.

Time to sell the 1.5 gear, rims, and brakes, and either swap tires on rims, or get a new rim and disc.

Just a point on the geometry of the situation. If you get the bearings or install the sleeves, the brake disc is going to run in the same location as before. The position of the disc/wheel does not change.

There are tons of Cub type airplanes with these bearings or sleeves and they work just fine.

Web

I have a 26” tires w 40-75D wheel and 30-52N brake on Dodge 3” x 1 1/2” axel gear that I would like to put on my 3” x 1 1/4” axel gear where I currently have 40-60 wheel and 30-60A brake (and set up for skis).

I’m trying to find the least amount of work/parts to swap back and forth from 8.50’s on 1 1/4 to the 26” from 1 1/2”. I’ve been told that torque plate likely will not match. Trying to avoid gear swap when changing wheels.

Anyone done this?
I have 3" extended 1 1/2" axled Atlee Dodge gear and 40-75 wheels. The brake disc is thicker and the caliper is different than the 40-60. When I went to 35s I got the wheels set up fr the 1 1/4 axles because it includes the bearings that adapt 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 which are expensive and bought the disc for the 1 1/2 caliper. I did this so I could sell the 35s if I didn't like them to anyone with 1 1/4 gear and could let people demo 35s no matter what gear they had. I believe if you had the discs for the 40-75 wheel then you could use an axle adapter and your 40-60 wheels.

I tend to be a pack rat, so it wasn’t my original plan to part with anything, but I think Denny wins this round. The pack rat part of me is still considering the other options - thanks for the input. Mounted tires with the same rim and disc will be the easiest for swapping tires.

I mentioned to a friend at the airport what I was doing, and he said he may have what I need, and would be happy to trade, and another person has offered to buy. Too many new big free shipping tires needing legs laying around I guess.

I have 3" extended 1 1/2" axled Atlee Dodge gear and 40-75 wheels. The brake disc is thicker and the caliper is different than the 40-60. When I went to 35s I got the wheels set up fr the 1 1/4 axles because it includes the bearings that adapt 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 which are expensive and bought the disc for the 1 1/2 caliper. I did this so I could sell the 35s if I didn't like them to anyone with 1 1/4 gear and could let people demo 35s no matter what gear they had. I believe if you had the discs for the 40-75 wheel then you could use an axle adapter and your 40-60 wheels.

Now that you have run 35’s you won’t sell them huh. Until you start going places you shouldn’t because you have them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like them. I need to put my 31s back on and see what I think going back that way but actually it is so hot now I just don't care to mess with it.

Bearhawk kit just arrived from Austin, driver said it’s hotter here. And dew point in the 70s. Only lasts a week or so here thank goodness.

Back