• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Remote Weather Camera Recommendations

cubflier

Palmer, AK
I'm looking into the practicality of installing a remote weather camera (or two). There is reasonable cell signal for internet access but that's it. The weather can very wet and windy. Has anyone done this before that may have some specific hardware suggestions?

Jerry

I've seen adds for cell/data cameras that you can ping for a response, then put a weather rock in the picture.

I'm looking into the practicality of installing a remote weather camera (or two). There is reasonable cell signal for internet access but that's it. The weather can very wet and windy. Has anyone done this before that may have some specific hardware suggestions?

Jerry

Jerry,

I can't help much with sources, but Jim Buckingham was the guy who installed the first cameras in what is now the AKweathercams system. That was done as a graduate degree program at UAF. I remember that that the cameras were not that expensive. Those transmitted images once per hour to a nearby WiFi I believe, and subsequently to the internet.

I'd do some poking around on the net, then talk to some of the suppliers.

MTV

Maybe one of those video cameras meant to be mounted on your door, that offer internet access from anywhere in the world. the same ones that capture home invasions and porch bandits. High resolution and color, inexpensive, and I think maybe powered by a long life battery, not sure about that. I could see one of those at the bottom of my strip, pointed at the windsock, keep it simple. The sky behind the sock would give additional info.

I'm looking at the Reolink Go cameras as they are all in one cellular LTE plus you can get a solar panel too to charge the battery. The question is will it support ATT LTE. That's my carrier and I can confirm it's signal strength at the location I want to install. The Reolink site does not show ATT as a supported network.

I have looked at another proprietary site using Axis 6032-E cameras. They are discontinued and are network cams. If I go with a network cam then I need to still establish a network via available cell networks. I'm not sure as to the ease and portability of that kind of setup and am open to any suggestions. The best I can think of is a cell interface to something like a raspberry pi but that comes with it's own set of power need too.

Arlo has Go type cellular camera's like the Reolink that is also one I'm considering.

Jerry

I'm looking at the Reolink Go cameras as they are all in one cellular LTE plus you can get a solar panel too to charge the battery. The question is will it support ATT LTE. That's my carrier and I can confirm it's signal strength at the location I want to install. The Reolink site does not show ATT as a supported network.

I have looked at another proprietary site using Axis 6032-E cameras. They are discontinued and are network cams. If I go with a network cam then I need to still establish a network via available cell networks. I'm not sure as to the ease and portability of that kind of setup and am open to any suggestions. The best I can think of is a cell interface to something like a raspberry pi but that comes with it's own set of power need too.

Arlo has Go type cellular camera's like the Reolink that is also one I'm considering.

Jerry

https://m.reolink.com/att-security-cameras-buying-guide/

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Thanks for replies. I'm at the point of waiting for this technology to evolve a bit. I did get a response for Reolink tech support on the Reolink Go compatibility with ATT.

Although they say it is compatible with ATT it is also reported to be unstable so they do not list it as a supported carrier and go on to recommend a 3 in 1 card you can get on amazon if you can get past the dreadful reviews. I also contacted my local ATT store about the ATT security cameras mentioned in Mikes post above and at least our representatives were unaware of any Reolink products available. The Arlo Go sounded like a possibility but from the reviews I read there is more that call the camera unworkable as claimed. I don't think we are too far from this being a reality at an affordable price point.

If I pull it off at some point I'll post the results.

Jerry

Reolink with work with AT&T. Most people use a prepaid 1gb card for temp setups which is good for about 2 weeks.

AT&T also has a remote 3G and 4G LTE (latest technology enhancement - marketing mumbo jumbo) cameras.

Jerry, you just need to set up a solar array with batteries to power it

https://www.groundcontrol.com/IsatHub.htm

sj

That would work but it's out of the budget allowed. I'm hoping to stay under $400 or so for the hardware part and looking for a reasonable cost, short term (3-5 month) data plan as part of the fit. I'm starting to think also along the lines of an LTE based trail camera that shoots on a timed interval vs motion activated. I don't care to have it motion triggered at all actually. A better fit would be to have it take a shot every 15 minutes or so and allow access to most recent shot via cell phone. I'm more interested in weather than security of stuff.

Jerry

I wonder if Starlink would be willing to under write your project, as I bet they could sell allot of them for that purpose

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

This is the setup that I have decided on and am currently testing prior to deployment. It's a Spartan GoLive2 with external battery and solar panel.

IMG_2187.jpg
Here is an image looking out of my hangar.

IMG_2188.JPG
Still a bit of testing to go but it looks promising so far.

Jerry

Attachments

• IMG_2184.jpg
    IMG_2184.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2187.jpg
    IMG_2187.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2188.JPG
    IMG_2188.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 48
Back