• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Buying a Super Cruiser

No. The previous owner used the added STC rudder spring mod which was inadequate.

Gary
That's why it flew like a wandering brick. Those springs are just to BS the FAA to think it will pass the stability tests. Springs are not adequate substitution for tail area, regardless of what those who use them to pass the certification tests say.

Yes I agree on the springs. Just no fin around then. Today I have one in my shed for a Taylorcraft that would have worked on the -12. The stock w/O-320 and factory tail I later flew did very well with a lower fin. Extended wings on the 12-180 and cuff might have made it worse. Either way today I'd prefer a PA-12 with larger than factory engine kept light and simple.

Gary

Let us know how it goes once you do get eyes on it! If it's not what you're expecting, I may know of one for sale.

I decided the Super Cruiser just wasn't a good fit for me. Bought a Citabria 7KCAB.

Citabria 4.jpg

Attachments

• Citabria 4.jpg
    Citabria 4.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 178
Truer words were never spoken. I put a lot of effort and money into building mine light and keeping the CG back where it belongs. Once they get over 1200 lbs and under 12" cg, they become sleds. I ended up at 1095 lbs and around 14" (don't remember the exact number right now) but it flies GREAT. I'm not going to say how much I spent getting it there because my wife might walk in... but it's a sweetheart.
O-320/150
Flaps
18 tail (w/gap seals) and 3" extended 18 gear
Lightweight starter/ alt / oil cooler
Catto 82-39
-- Oops, did I say Catto prop, I meant McCauley Borer 82-42.....

Just had mine weighed (following new engine and firewall forward refresh) and it’s 1059.5 and 12.47. Hooray!!!!!!! No sled riding for me [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Spoiled from the git go--first solo 1952 PA-18--150--very light ---no electrics-- Instructor/owner says battery, starter and gen. all on shelf in the hangar where that HEAVY stuff belongs . 95% of the starts were 4th blade and from the safety of -behind- the prop . This generous man shared his favorite airplane with me for 20 years. I was ACCUSED of "wearing" the airplane by some friends. shortage of "green" led me to a tired "12" that I spent 15 years rebuilding. Being spoiled with 18 led me to flaps and the 0-320. looking back at 1000 hours of fun flying---no regrets for the money spent. Yes that old 18 --150 is still my all time favorite. Operated from neighbors (one way in---one way out---power lines and tall trees) pasture/hill and only used 300 feet even with passenger---elevation 900 ft.---yes indeed , the 12 worked just fine----geezer Dan

Back