• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Slick Magneto synchronisation symptoms/problems?

Philly5G

England
I thought timing the 4370 and 4371 with a 3 wire/2 light synch box would be easy but........ these are the symptoms I’ve noticed, are these normal or something more sinister?

1 When the impulse fires, even with the mag switch set to Off or R the left mag light flashes, but with no tone. This is the only light that lights in Off or R (other than the expected R light in R)

2. I can set a mag using slow prop movements, but sometimes when working on the other mag, the original light stops coming on UNLESS I turn the prop fairly quickly and continually and then both lights come on

3. I can set the mag to micro accuracy to 1/10
of a degree, then suddenly it jumps to a few degrees out, even with the mag holding nuts tight?!

Are these normal experiences and what’s the best way to do this please?

Thanks

Philly

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Last edited:
First off, you need to go past the impulse coupling and let it snap before you can set that mag's timing. The purpose of the impulse coupling is to delay the spark until the piston is closer to top dead center and only engages at slow speeds such as during engine start up.

Bring the #1 piston to TDC and allow the impulse coupling to snap.Then back up the prop 15 or 20 degrees. Now slowly approach TDC and watch for the light and tone to indicate the internal points opening. Physically adjust the mag to get the proper setting for your engine. Then adjust the opposite mag until the proper timing setting is reached. The trick is to always turn the prop in the normal direction of travel to check the timing.

And, just to be clear, the mag switch needs to be set 'on' or the p-leads need to be disconnected for the timing box to work. So be safe and take precautions to prevent the engine from firing.

Web

And, just to be clear, the mag switch needs to be set 'on' or the p-leads need to be disconnected for the timing box to work. So be safe and take precautions to prevent the engine from firing.

Web

The top plugs should also be removed.... its WAY easier. Also there is some gear backlash that you can take into account to really get it "spot on". You'll know when you got them perfect when tightening the clamps causes the light to flicker. It can't be closer than that. You can also spend an hour fighting for "timing perfection" only to realize the engine can't tell the difference between 25° and 24.5°....

One other thing to do. If it is kicking your but, start from scratch..... Remove the mags, set the pin, set #1 to TDC and then you KNOW you are starting from a known point.... Ask me how I know.....

I bump the prop slowly in the correct direction, you have to get the backlash of the gears out. I also tighten each mag hold down nut a little at a time until almost tight and then back up the prop and check it again. It usually takes a few of these to fine tune the timing. I use the handle end of my small dead blow hamme to lightly tap the mag in the correct direction to adjust the timing.

First off, you need to go past the impulse coupling and let it snap before you can set that mag's timing. The purpose of the impulse coupling is to delay the spark until the piston is closer to top dead center and only engages at slow speeds such as during engine start up.

Bring the #1 piston to TDC and allow the impulse coupling to snap.Then back up the prop 15 or 20 degrees. Now slowly approach TDC and watch for the light and tone to indicate the internal points opening. Physically adjust the mag to get the proper setting for your engine. Then adjust the opposite mag until the proper timing setting is reached. The trick is to always turn the prop in the normal direction of travel to check the timing.

Web

Thanks Web! The impulse backing advice and info particularly useful [emoji106]

I’m doing all the timing, getting the lights to come on and tone change, to happen at 25 degrees which is the timing mark on my O235, so I obviously need to back off from TDC more than 15-20 degrees you suggest, so I can approach the 25 by rotating the prop in the normal direction of travel, have I got this correct?

I’ve disconnected all the plugs to be safe, as I’m testing with the mag switch set to Both, although the synch box instructions do say that it will take all the juice from the mags. In any case, the plug leads are still off the back of the mags from inserting the locking pins.

Any thoughts on the L bulb flashing on when the impulse snaps, even though the Mag switch is Off?

The top plugs should also be removed.... its WAY easier. Also there is some gear backlash that you can take into account to really get it "spot on". You'll know when you got them perfect when tightening the clamps causes the light to flicker. It can't be closer than that. You can also spend an hour fighting for "timing perfection" only to realize the engine can't tell the difference between 25° and 24.5°....

One other thing to do. If it is kicking your but, start from scratch..... Remove the mags, set the pin, set #1 to TDC and then you KNOW you are starting from a known point.... Ask me how I know.....

Yes, I’ve got all the top plugs out [emoji106]

I’m going to have another go on Monday, using all the advice from this thread and if I’m still struggling, I’ll use the pins again and start over [emoji106]

I’m using a digital protractor to get the 25 degree angle perfect, but of course all this relies on how accurately I’ve been able to visually line up TDC! I’ve used the crankcase halves and top TDC marking on the starter ring to set this, it looks ok, but obviously not an exact science!! Any tips on the best method of alignment?

I bump the prop slowly in the correct direction, you have to get the backlash of the gears out. I also tighten each mag hold down nut a little at a time until almost tight and then back up the prop and check it again. It usually takes a few of these to fine tune the timing. I use the handle end of my small dead blow hamme to lightly tap the mag in the correct direction to adjust the timing.

Perfect!!! I’ve been holding the lower prop blade tight and against my body, which I’ve now learned makes moving 0.1 degree at a time pretty accurate [emoji106]

I’ve been “feeling” the small mag movements by using tiny gripped hand movements, but the dead blow hammer idea sounds great!!! How tight are you doing the mag hold down nuts when making the adjustments? and are you tightening them up after each adjustment?

PS I’ve just ordered a dead blow hammer [emoji41]

Things can get real goofy when the ground clip isn't making a good connection. This includes the mags not grounding through the studs when the nuts are loose and you put the black clip on the engine.

One gremlin I had once was a broken impulse spring. Yet impulse would still click.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Things can get real goofy when the ground clip isn't making a good connection. This includes the mags not grounding through the studs when the nuts are loose and you put the black clip on the engine.

Thank you!! I’ve got the black clip on one of the engine to engine mount tie straps, so it SHOULD be ok, but I’ll test it with my meter on Monday before I start [emoji106]

Would this maybe explain the L red light flashing on when the impulse snaps, even when the mag switch is Off?

One gremlin I had once was a broken impulse spring. Yet impulse would still click.

The 4370 and 4371 are both brand new factory exchange units, so I was expecting them to be 100%, BUT I did find a few reports of even brand new ones having faults when researching my problems before starting this thread, hence why I asked if the symptoms were maybe pointing to something more sinister [emoji849]

What Does the L light flashing on on impulse when the mag switch is Off point to? Or is this normal expected behaviour with a synch box? and if IT IS expected behaviour, WHY does it do this?!!!! [emoji15]

What Does the L light flashing on on impulse when the mag switch is Off point to? Or is this normal expected behaviour with a synch box? and if IT IS expected behaviour, WHY does it do this?!!!! [emoji15]

The switch grounds the mag to stop the firing. When you hook your mag timing light on, you're providing an easier ground path (before the switch) for the current, so it slams through your mag timer when the impulse snaps. It's not really good for your timing box from what was told to me.
John

The switch grounds the mag to stop the firing. When you hook your mag timing light on, you're providing an easier ground path (before the switch) for the current, so it slams through your mag timer when the impulse snaps. It's not really good for your timing box from what was told to me.
John

Thanks John!! What I’m not getting though is why the impulse is still “live” and lighting the L light even with the mag switch off, when the non impulse mag currents are not live and therefore not lighting their lights? It’s implying to me that even when the synch box is not there and the mag switch is off, the impulse snap will still be sending live current to the plugs. Hopefully my understanding of this is wrong?!!! [emoji15]

Put timing box ground wire clip on whichever mag you’re trying to time- mags aren’t grounded well to engine/airframe when mounting nuts are loose and harnesses disconnected...

I noticed two things when re reading this thread.

I know this might be a hassle if your nose bowl is still on & depending on what cowling/nose bowl you have, but does your airplane have a starter? if so the timing mark should be lined up with the starter after you locate TDC on the #1 cylinder. This will help you immensely when finding your starting point. To find TDC on the #1 Cylinder you need to put the lower plug back in and put your thumb over the top plug hole on the #1 cylinder and turn the prop (Mags off for safety). Turn the prop until the pressure starts to build behind your thumb, you'll feel it.... Now the #1 cylinder is on the compression stroke.
Next, get a flashlight and keep moving it until the piston gets near the top of the stroke. Now go to the starter ring, and on the front you will see a mark on the ring and a small hole on the front of the starter. Line that up with the TDC mark.

Now, DON'T MOVE THE PROP.
Pull the magnetos out. Index them with the pin. (Make sure you get this right, they can fool you into thinking you have it pinned when you don't. Use the right tool. It is dead soft for a reason.) Next, once they are indexed install them in the accessory case being aware that you will still need to rotate them one way or the other to get them timed. In other words, give yourself room to rotate them. Now, secure them just enough to keep them from rotating, and you can reinstall the plug wire cap if you have not already. (always do this to prevent turning the prop with the pin left in the mag) (been there-done that)

The mag gears are now timed to the engine gears, but the timing has not been adjusted.

Next, go ahead and turn the prop backwards quite a bit but less than 180 degrees. and bring it back, holding your thumb over the #1 cylinder. to identify and confirm you are still on the compression stroke of the #1 Cylinder. Once you have determined you are on the compression stroke, keep advancing the prop until the impulse coupling snaps. STOP as soon as it does and back the prop up to the desired position before TDC (Usually 25 degrees) There will be a corresponding mark on the starter ring to line up with the hole in the starter.

Loosen the mags enough to turn them freely, hook up the timing box, turn the mags switch on and rotate the mags until the light turns out. Then snug them down.

Now,to get it perfect, once they are tight, you will want to move the prop backwards and then forward confirming both lights extinguish at the 25 degree mark. If they are off a little then keep making minor adjustments by loosening the mags just enough to "Bump" them with a hammer handle or something similar until they are just right. (Whereby they extinguish together at the 25 degree mark) The way to do this is to get them as close as possible to perfect then "Bump the prop" toward the timing mark and adjusting the mags so the points are opening right at the timing mark. the confirmation of perfection is both light extinguish together at the appropriate mark on the starter ring. When bumping the prop you will never need to move it more than about 10-15 degrees back and forth.

If any of this does not make sense I would recommend you have someone come teach you how to do it in person. It is much easier to do than it is to describe.

Link to timing marks https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/Engine Timing Marks.pdf

------------------------------

Thanks! Do you mean to the mag body? Where’s the best point to put the clip on?

Yes - There should be a ground screw on the mag body, Some are used, some are not. Also, make sure during the whole process that your timer clip does not get grounded or fall off the p-lead terminal. That will send you into a fit of rage when one minute its almost perfect and the next its seems like its not working.

I know this might be a hassle if your nose bowl is still on & depending on what cowling/nose bowl you have, but does your airplane have a starter? if so the timing mark should be lined up with the starter after you locate TDC on the #1 cylinder. This will help you immensely when finding your starting point. To find TDC on the #1 Cylinder you need to put the lower plug back in and put your thumb over the top plug hole on the #1 cylinder and turn the prop (Mags off for safety). Turn the prop until the pressure starts to build behind your thumb, you'll feel it.... Now the #1 cylinder is on the compression stroke.
Next, get a flashlight and keep moving it until the piston gets near the top of the stroke. Now go to the starter ring, and on the front you will see a mark on the ring and a small hole on the front of the starter. Line that up with the TDC mark.

Pull the magnetos out. Index them with the pin. (Make sure you get this right, they can fool you into thinking you have it pinned when you don't. Use the right tool. It is dead soft for a reason.) Next, once they are indexed install them in the accessory case being aware that you will still need to rotate them one way or the other to get them timed. In other words, give yourself room to rotate them. Now, secure them just enough to keep them from rotating, and you can reinstall the plug wire cap if you have not already. (always do this to prevent turning the prop with the pin left in the mag) (been there-done that)

The mag gears are now timed to the engine gears, but the timing has not been adjusted.

Next, go ahead and turn the prop backwards quite a bit but less than 180 degrees. and bring it back, holding your thumb over the #1 cylinder. to identify and confirm you are still on the compression stroke of the #1 Cylinder. Once you have determined you are on the compression stroke, keep advancing the prop until the impulse coupling snaps. STOP as soon as it does and back the prop up to the desired position before TDC (Usually 25 degrees) There will be a corresponding mark on the starter ring to line up with the hole in the starter.

Loosen the mags enough to turn them freely, hook up the timing box, turn the mags switch on and rotate the mags until the light turns out. Then snug them down.

Now,to get it perfect, once they are tight, you will want to move the prop backwards and then forward confirming both lights extinguish at the 25 degree mark. If they are off a little then keep making minor adjustments by loosening the mags just enough to "Bump" them with a hammer handle or something similar until they are just right. (Whereby they extinguish together at the 25 degree mark) The way to do this is to get them as close as possible to perfect then "Bump the prop" toward the timing mark and adjusting the mags so the points are opening right at the timing mark. the confirmation of perfection is both light extinguish together at the appropriate mark on the starter ring. When bumping the prop you will never need to move it more than about 10-15 degrees back and forth.

If any of this does not make sense I would recommend you have someone come teach you how to do it in person. It is much easier to do than it is to describe.

Link to timing marks https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/Engine Timing Marks.pdf

------------------------------

Yes - There should be a ground screw on the mag body, Some are used, some are not. Also, make sure during the whole process that your timer clip does not get grounded or fall off the p-lead terminal. That will send you into a fit of rage when one minute its almost perfect and the next its seems like its not working.

Ok, so this is the ground screw (that’s supplied with the Mag but not pre installed) that the other P Lead connection goes to I’m thinking? I have installed this screw and am using it for the other P Lead connection

Good point on the timer clip. I did check both of these and the ground clip, when I started noticing strange symptoms and I’ll continue to keep checking them [emoji106]

Ok, so this is the ground screw (that’s supplied with the Mag but not pre installed) that the other P Lead connection goes to I’m thinking? I have installed this screw and am using it for the other P Lead connection

I recommend you have an aircraft mechanic help you. There seems to be a lack of understanding overall.

I recommend you have an aircraft mechanic help you. There seems to be a lack of understanding overall.

Thanks for this Grant, I do have a brilliant engineer that I can ask for help, but I do like to do my research first before asking him :) To respond to your earlier, very comprehensive and helpful message:

Next, get a flashlight and keep moving it until the piston gets near the top of the stroke. Now go to the starter ring, and on the front
you will see a mark on the ring and a small hole on the front of the starter. Line that up with the TDC mark.

Yes the aircraft has a starter, but it doesn't have a timing mark stamped or marked on it. Other starters I've seen do have such a mark. Even if it had a mark, as the propeller covers the starter in the TDC position when the propeller is installed in the conventional position, it wouldn't help in finding the TDC, which is why I'm using the crankcase join lines and the TDC mark stamped on the upper rear of the Ring Gear. I'm finding TDC by rotating to feel compression with the upper plug removed and double confirming that by checking that both rockers on #1 have the .007 - .009 gap they should have when both valves are fully closed. The nose bowl is off.

With the crankshaft set at #1 TDC, I zeroed the digital protractor to 0 and then used this to set the crankshaft at the 25 degrees timing angle and confirmed by checking the upper crankcase halves line up with the 25 degree mark on the rear of the ring gear.

I removed the plug leads, inserted the 2 Slick locking pins upto their first shoulder in the L hole (rotating the mag gears to allow them to go in) and then offered the mags to the engine and loosely secured them with the locking nuts, removed the locking pins and put them back in the slick magneto box as a safety measure :) BRILLIANT tip on reinstalling the plug wire cap as a safety measure
:up

I then moved the prop backwards, maybe 180 degrees, maybe a bit less and then inched it to 25 degrees on the digital protractor. Checked the crankcase halves join lined up with the 25 degrees mark on the back of the ring gear (it did) Tomorrow when I do this again, I'll be making a pop mark on the starter ring and a corresponding pop mark on the starter body IF I CAN, so in future I'll be able to find the 25 degree position with the nose bowl on and from here I knew where the lights should be coming on

Yes, this describes what I did, although I was aiming to get the lights to COME ON at 25.0 degrees (and not the 24.9 you seem to suggest?) and I suspect the bit about snapping the impulse and then coming back to the 25 is where I went wrong. I've now ordered and received the Dead Blow hammer :) and I'll be using this to tap the mags tomorrow, rather than using my hands to make the small movements.

Link to timing marks https://www.lycoming.com/sites/defau...ng%20Marks.pdf

Makes perfect sense Grant, thank you :)

Last edited:
Another trick is to copy the timing mark to the front of the ring gear with a thin sharpie or pencil. Then you can look through it to the top of the crankcase while bumping the prop through.

Another trick is to copy the timing mark to the front of the ring gear with a thin sharpie or pencil. Then you can look through it to the top of the crankcase while bumping the prop through.

:up I started with this idea, but was worried about the viewing angle error, so used an engineer's mirror so I could line up the crankcase line with the ring gear mark. I ended up using a straight edge along the crankcase join, pretty much butting up to the mark on the ring gear 8)

When you start working on an engine you can spend hours or stay focused and step by step get it done. Your bouncing around too much and that will get you or someone else hurt.
Make a check list so you can keep a copy on a clipboard. Check each item off as you do them. Tip: If you have a spark plug in the engine the keys should be hung near or on your spark plug wrench.

One other thing , when you remove a plug you need to put on a new gasket when re-installing it and it needs to have anti seize compound and torqued.

Thanks to everyone in this thread for your time and shared wisdom [emoji106][emoji8] Back at the airport this morning, all done now and waiting for the check over from my engineer and engineering mentor.

The 2 points that were really key were:

1: Snap the impulse and then come back beyond 25 degrees to time the left mag, this was my only basic knowledge gap on Friday

2: Use the handle of a Dead Blow mallet to make tiny adjustments to the mags. I didn’t have one on Friday, I now do and a GREAT tool!!!

I tested the other suggestions on grounding etc and all checked out ok [emoji106]

Thanks again everyone :)

Philly

I'm very curious to know if your mechanic was able to confirm you had timed the magnetos correctly. Inquiring minds want to know....

I'm very curious to know if your mechanic was able to confirm you had timed the magnetos correctly. Inquiring minds want to know....

Yup, sure did, as I said above, the key thing I didn’t know on Friday was snapping the impulse and then turning back and once I knew this, syncing them to within .1 of a degree took about 15 minutes. We went through the steps I’d taken together and double checked them all, including the basic TDC position [emoji106]

Proof of the pudding is in the eating and we went through the Lycoming Overhauled engine test procedure yesterday and the engine literally started on the first button press (on both runs) and ran beautifully [emoji41] Mag drops of around 50 on both sides and dead cut perfect [emoji106]

Last edited:
Back