• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Transport Canada version of FAA Registration Branch?

Grant

FRIEND
At Work.....
I am curious to know if Transport Canada keeps records of Major Repair, Alterations, Airworthiness, ownership, etc in a similar manner to the FAA Registration Branch. Thee FAA will burn a CD for you of all of the records available for a given aircraft. The question is will/can Transport Canada do the same? The aircraft in question was never registered in the US so there is nothing with the FAA. I have the original build record from Clyde and the logs are good, so i'm just looking for whatever may be available....

Thanks!

The biggest issue, assuming that it was US manufactured, and you are bringing it back to the US will be if they have a copy of the original US Export Airworthiness Certificate. That document is key for getting a US Standard Airworthiness Certificate. If you don’t have that, an Export Certificate of Airworthiness from TCCA is next best. Both of those would count as the original certification. If you don’t have an original certification, the you are looking at a complete conformity on the entire aircraft, possibly with major disassembly. If bringing it back to the US, having that original Export is very important.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The biggest issue, assuming that it was US manufactured, and you are bringing it back to the US will be if they have a copy of the original US Export Airworthiness Certificate. That document is key for getting a US Standard Airworthiness Certificate. If you don’t have that, an Export Certificate of Airworthiness from TCCA is next best. Both of those would count as the original certification. If you don’t have an original certification, the you are looking at a complete conformity on the entire aircraft, possibly with major disassembly. If bringing it back to the US, having that original Export is very important.

I sincerely appreciate the response but that was not the question - I am aware of the requirements and fully expect an original issuance inspection. I have done it before and am not worried about that, at all.... In fact in the last three months I have presented two aircraft for conformity inspections, both had no airworthiness certificates. Both were re-issued. This one would be an original because it never had a US Airworthiness certificate. Again, I am not concerned with this aspect.

The question was, Does Transport Canada have an equivalent mechanism for recording and providing major repair, alteration, airworthiness and ownership records? I am not trying to establish anything whatsoever, except some means to have all available records for posterity.

Not that I'm aware of, as TC only allows STC modifications to certified airplanes, or in some cases now DAR approved mods, but they have always been sticklers that we were not allowed anything like the FAA major mods form, for stuff that isn't STC'd specifically to type. US aircraft brought into Canada would have to be stripped of anything that was installed using an FAA mod form and return the aircraft back to matching the type certificate to get a Canadian C of A.

All of my TC inspector contacts I've had for 25 or more years have all retired, so I have no direct contact. Email them at tc.aviationservicesont-servicesaviationont.tc@tc.gc.ca

I sincerely appreciate the response but that was not the question - I am aware of the requirements and fully expect an original issuance inspection. I have done it before and am not worried about that, at all.... In fact in the last three months I have presented two aircraft for conformity inspections, both had no airworthiness certificates. Both were re-issued. This one would be an original because it never had a US Airworthiness certificate. Again, I am not concerned with this aspect.

The question was, Does Transport Canada have an equivalent mechanism for recording and providing major repair, alteration, airworthiness and ownership records? I am not trying to establish anything whatsoever, except some means to have all available records for posterity.

Unless it went to the Canadian military, it should have an Export C of A from the US. A Recurrent Certification is much easier than an Original. As for TCCA keeping records like FAA AFS-750, I don’t think so.

Don't take this the wrong way, But what is the difference in the actual conformity inspection between a recurrent C of A and an Original? Why would one be "easier" than the other? All of the ones I have been involved with have been very easy. I was not a militaty aircraft and I was never registered in the US and never has been. But yes, it would have had an Export C of A because registration is not required for export and an Export C of A would have been necessary in 1969 (When it was Exported). Again, the effort here is not about certification. It is about pulling together any and all documentation for no reason other than to have it. I know you are a DER and A DAR-T. I know you know this stuff and are trying to be helpful, and I'm truly not trying to be difficult. The first question has been answered..... Canada does not have a recordkeeping similar to the FAA where this record would have been kept.

Now, the next question is, Do you think you can get a copy of the original Export C of A. It never had an N Number, so how would it have been recorded in the FAA system? I looked and found Squat, Could it be under the serial number? Tried that too.... Called my buddies at the FAA.... No Joy. At the end of the day, the aircraft is currently a de registered canadian aircraft, in the US, and being rebuilt. The aircraft has all the appropriate and original records, the dataplate is original, the engine is original, the frame number matches the original build records. We have a totally legit airplane. I am just trying to get anything I can. If there is a secret DAR Handshake that can get records of an export C of A for an airplane that never was registered in the US then I would love to have a copy, I just dont know how to get it. It is not in the records that we have. There is no requirement to have it, but it would be nice to have.

Last edited:
Recurrent airworthiness I’d done by a DART (FSDO) initial airworthiness is done by DARF (MIDO). If the initial airworthiness has already been done, then the conformity is having anA&P do a 100 hr inspection, and a review of the documents and the inspection records (ADs, W&B, Flight Manual, installed equipment and such. An initial certification would include trying to get initial production records and conforming major components to those production records. The less data you have the deeper the conformity is likely going to be. Without access to the production records, it could be a very difficult conformity. One of the reasons the export certificate is important is that a lot of exports have exceptions to the US TC, and they need to be corrected prior to US certification.

I hold both DART & DARF as well as DER. As for getting a copy of the Export Certificate, they are filed by the E number, with no cross reference to make, model, serial. If you don’t have the E number, perhaps the TC holder may have a record in their QA files. I’ve been successful getting them from Beech in the past.

I am curious to know if Transport Canada keeps records of Major Repair, Alterations, Airworthiness, ownership, etc in a similar manner to the FAA Registration Branch. Thee FAA will burn a CD for you of all of the records available for a given aircraft. The question is will/can Transport Canada do the same? The aircraft in question was never registered in the US so there is nothing with the FAA. I have the original build record from Clyde and the logs are good, so i'm just looking for whatever may be available....

Thanks!
If you call transport Canada in the region the plane came from they should be able to help you out they had a list of all the stcs and in Canada a 337 is called a LSTC witch is a 1 time approval for a mod they should have it all on file

Back