• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Dzus fastener size?

daedgerton

PATRON
Arlington, VA
Anyone know the correct Dzus fastener size for the ones that are located on the front part of the bottom cowl on a PA-18? The ones that have the round head and attach up into the nose bowl?

See pic:

IMG_0966.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0966.jpg
    IMG_0966.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 215
Anyone know the correct Dzus fastener size for the ones that are located on the front part of the bottom cowl on a PA-18? The ones that have the round head and attach up into the nose bowl?

See pic:

View attachment 49771

SOUTHCO (not dZus) 85 series is correct.. some short some long... flush ones are 140's(univair)... long ones are 200, 220's or so....

While we are at this: does anybody know if they made different size springs , Dia., for dzus studs. This is on the main fuel door on a Beaver. The studs I have are too narrow or much larger. Have they changed the sizing over theirs or did DeHav. Use some strange stuff? I plan at this point to rivet in cam loc’s.

While we are at this: does anybody know if they made different size springs , Dia., for dzus studs. This is on the main fuel door on a Beaver. The studs I have are too narrow or much larger. Have they changed the sizing over theirs or did DeHav. Use some strange stuff? I plan at this point to rivet in cam loc’s.

This help? Spruce. Click for better pictures

IMG_9426.JPG

IMG_9427.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_9426.JPG
    IMG_9426.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_9427.JPG
    IMG_9427.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 143
You know what size you need?...

Attachments

• Inventory 005.jpg
    Inventory 005.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 114
  • Inventory 006.jpg
    Inventory 006.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Inventory 007.jpg
    Inventory 007.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Inventory 008.jpg
    Inventory 008.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Inventory 017.jpg
    Inventory 017.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 117
  • Inventory 019.jpg
    Inventory 019.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 142
  • Inventory 020.jpg
    Inventory 020.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 141
Nope, tried that already. I ordered a couple of all the sizes and nope fit right. I put Cam locks on it today, better fastener anyway. If the door opens in Flt. The neat them self’s to death. 60 years of maintenance it’s anybody’s guess what was put in there. The hinge was broken before and signs of a few repairs.

Holy moly Irish you have the mother load of Dzus fasteners! Thank you for the offer, but CamLocked it today. The nicest fix I’ve seen was the fuel well was removed and flush caps installed. The side of the fuselage was smooth, really nice job.

I need a few of the flush (counter sunk) southco's in the 85 size. 140 or 160 length. I can't locate them anywhere including univair and Aircraft Spruce. Have they stopped making the flat head in 85 size?

Sorry have lots of Airloc's out of the Noordyn Factory and Dzus out of Canadiar (from when they were converting C47's into DC-3's), but no Southco's ! Thought I had a few varieties, but just looked and it appears they grew legs...

I have never liked slotted screws. I'm replacing all Southco fittings on the cowling and most other places with a Southco Phillips head fastener. Less chance of the screwdriver slipping out of the receptacle with a Phillips head. I was painting a scratch mark every time I replaced the cowling.

Back