• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

STOL / Cubs in Dover, Me today.

TurboBeaver

Northern Maine
Nice event today in Dover, Me. Hot and sticky but the boys put on a good display!
About 83 degrees, with 70/80% humidity.
So not the best kinda day for STOL competition, but still some great scores . Jim Crane showed the crowd, what the term " extreame steep climb outs" really means! And the crowd loved it.
Tom Ford used an ultra tail high technique into an aggressive Rotation for some very short numbers. One of the best performing J5 Exp you will ever see, did very well, the owner John Hartz, knows his airplane! Ray Foggs old Cub gave the CC boys a hard run with some great T/O's; And lots of others did their very best, to try and compete with the Carbon Cubs. J3/ PA 11's included. But when the dust all settled, Bob Breedan of Alaska fame, really showed his flawless landing technique " hovering" in; to show the "dragger in boys" how it is really done!
His vast experience in Cubs was very obvious today!
Great day and good for aviation in Maine.
Nice to see so many turn out to watch the boys perform! https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vhgyr9mzwzabrs/VID_20200627_132002212.mp4?dl=0

Sent from my moto e5 go using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Last edited:
Peter,
J5 belongs to John Hartz, nice looking outfit, extended glass, with form fitted skylight to match. Sounds strong . One of Dan D's rebuilds I think.

Sent from my moto e5 go using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I didn’t realize the Denali cub was a J5. Performs well, he’s a strong contender everywhere he takes that.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

If i remember right it’s got a lottttt of incidence on it. And ground adjustable prop that’s cranked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Breeden"s form shows a lot of experience that was well earned, I'm sure.

I stand corrected if need be, but I think the Denali is an experimental. May be based on a J-5 fuselage, but didn't think it was a piper J-5. If so, there is a lot of big differences?

I stand corrected if need be, but I think the Denali is an experimental. May be based on a J-5 fuselage, but didn't think it was a piper J-5. If so, there is a lot of big differences?

Your correct. Based off a j5 and is exp with supercub sized wings flaps and ailerons. And 160hp. Small tail feathers though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup Tom is right, the Denali Cub is a J-5 fuselage with Cub wings, PA-22 tailfeathers. 160Hp and some of Dan's secret sauce. I gotta give more credit to Dan's build than my flying skills. I do really really love the widebody! Makes bringing the wife and dog along a lot more comfortable! The J-5s were pretty light which makes for a light cub ~1060lbs empty.

Back