Thread: Mystery floats.

Post Thanks / Like

Mystery floats.

Hi super cub members. Does anyone recognize these floats? Having trouble identifying them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26EEA1E8-17B1-40A0-A18C-C5CAEE764FB5.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	49692   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FA7C717B-4E20-49CF-B42B-82E5CD154EAC.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	49691  

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Hi super cub members. Does anyone recognize these floats? Having trouble identifying them.
    Montana Floats?

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    Montana Floats?

MTV
    Thanks for your reply. They look Very close but are flat and not rounded on top. All floats Iíve looked at are flat on top. These are definitely an anomaly that way. Very similar.
    I could be wrong but the Montana floats I see are flat

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve seen at least one set of Montana floats that have round tops.....

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Zenair possibly? http://www.zenairfloats.com
    Those are not Montana nose gears. https://montanafloat.com/2200-series-amphib-floats/
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Inspect the insides for any sign of ink or stamping that might show a part number or manufacturers’ name/logo.

The ends of the spreader bars might also have some sort of stamping that could help identify its origin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    Zenair possibly? http://www.zenairfloats.com
    Those are not Montana nose gears. https://montanafloat.com/2200-series-amphib-floats/
    I think you may be right, Pete. Zenair made both kits and assembled floats, I believe.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like

Mystery floats

I think you may be right, Pete. Zenair made both kits and assembled floats, I believe.

MTV
    Hi all. Contacted Zenair and they requested pictures of specific areas, then declared, not theirs. Same with Murphy. Iíve looked all over those floats and not a P/N anywhere. The nose cap is unique as well. I thought Iíd researched every brand name of floats. I must be missing one somewhere!

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you just happen upon them or did someone tell you about them? We need more information. Perhaps they are a one design homebuilt float? I thought that perhaps they could be a straight float which someone converted to amphibious. For example the EDO 2000 or PeeKay 1800. They appear to be about the same size as both of them. They are not EDO nor PeeKay because the spreader bars are attached to the floats differently than either of them.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like

Mystery floats

Did you just happen upon them or did someone tell you about them? We need more information. Perhaps they are a one design homebuilt float? I thought that perhaps they could be a straight float which someone converted to amphibious. For example the EDO 2000 or PeeKay 1800. They appear to be about the same size as both of them. They are not EDO nor PeeKay because the spreader bars are attached to the floats differently than either of them.
    Thank you for replying. They came from an estate. So the people I got them from didnít know anything about them. Right possibility a ďone ofĒ home built. Got to be some info out there. Kind of frustrating 😊

Post Thanks / Like
    Call Jay Frey, I think or I was told Edo made a few sets or amphib 2000’s, I think 5, if I was told correctly back in the 60’s. Could this be one of those sets?

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by G44 View Post
    Call Jay Frey, I think or I was told Edo made a few sets or amphib 2000ís, I think 5, if I was told correctly back in the 60ís. Could this be one of those sets?

Kurt
    Thank you Kurt. I canít find him online. Would you know his contact information? Is he a super cub member?

Post Thanks / Like
    I just spoke to JJ Frey. Those are indeed EDO Amphibious floats....he said 339-2250

JJ said they were originally built for a fellow named J Howard Smith, who intended to use them on Super Cubs offshore in the menhaden fishery off the east coast. They originally built 13 sets. One set was actually approved by the FAA. The whole offshore landings thing wasn't going to work, and the floats were sold.

Later, 100 sets were made for the military for use on Cessna L-19s. Those were never certificated. I believe there used to be one set of those floats in Fairbanks, on a 172, for many years.

Anyway, I sent a PM to Harold with JJ Frey's contact information. JJ said he'd be happy to discuss with him. JJ is as sharp as ever. I'm going to really miss my annual visit with him at Oshkosh this year.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, those are not EDO 339-2250 or 339-JHS floats. I have experience with that model float and those are not them.

The spreader bar installation and the nose gears are different as well as the bottom shape.
    Last edited by skywagon8a; 06-30-2020 at 03:53 PM.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, those are not EDO 339-2250 or 339-JHS floats. I have experience with that model float and those are not them.

The spreader bar installation and the nose gears are different as well as the bottom shape.
    On the topic of the rare JHS floats, there is a set available on Barnstormers: https://www.barnstormers.com/classif...ml?catid=16320

Some interesting photos for comparison as well.
    Proud owner of a collection of airplane pieces (sometimes in one big piece) known as the Oklahoma Kid.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just spoke to JJ Frey. Those are indeed EDO Amphibious floats....he said 339-2250

JJ said they were originally built for a fellow named J Howard Smith, who intended to use them on Super Cubs offshore in the menhaden fishery off the east coast. They originally built 13 sets. One set was actually approved by the FAA. The whole offshore landings thing wasn't going to work, and the floats were sold.

Later, 100 sets were made for the military for use on Cessna L-19s. Those were never certificated. I believe there used to be one set of those floats in Fairbanks, on a 172, for many years.

Anyway, I sent a PM to Harold with JJ Frey's contact information. JJ said he'd be happy to discuss with him. JJ is as sharp as ever. I'm going to really miss my annual visit with him at Oshkosh this year.

MTV
    Thank you for talking with JJ and getting that information. I’ve had a couple of other very experienced float types tell me they are definitely Edo built. Thanks again for your time MTV!

Post Thanks / Like
    Show us a close up picture of the spreader bar attachment to the float location. They do look a lot like EDO 2000 with the correct number of inspection covers. Your pictures above seem to indicate that the spreader bar attachments are not EDO 2000. Also those nose gears are definitely not EDO. They look very amateurish homemade. EDO did not make an amphibious version of the 2000.

The small EDO amphibs are the 339-2250 or 339-JHS. The above nose gears are definitely not from the 339s. AND the spreader bar on the 339 extends through the floats like the 2440, 2870, 2960 and others. Also the 339- bottoms are fluted like the 2440 etc.

I have installed and annualed two different sets of 339s on 3 separate PA-18s over the past nearly 50 years, those are not the small EDO amphibs. JJ is correct on the numbers and reasons the 339-s were built. The story of where they went for the L-19s has become rather sketchy as they disappeared into the military's dungeons.
    N1PA
    Thanks Harold thanked for this post