• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

HDHP: Ted Waltman - Flying In and Around the Wrangell St. Elias National Park & Preserve

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
tedmcarthy.png

Ted Waltman is back this time focusing on a specific area - the Wrangell St. Elias National Park and Preserve - arguably one of the greatest places to fly in Alaska.

If you have registered for other HDHP presentations, you are already registered and can join up with the meeting details you received.

To register and join on Zoom, go here: https://bit.ly/2XBRxsp

Watch it on Youtube Live (or after the fact) here: https://youtu.be/-7V3yna4qdE

We know everybody is not awake or can attend at this time so all presentations are recorded and saved on YouTube for future viewing with the link above.

Check out ALL the HDPD Presentations here! click me

Attachments

• tedmcarthy.png
    tedmcarthy.png
    935.4 KB · Views: 1,401
I admire the willingness to share and help others. Flying in Alaska is challenging and the more good information the better! Thank you Ted!

Ok folks, just got off the "testing 1 2 3" chat with Ted, this is going to be really good. He is going to take you on a tour of the great routes through the park!

Don't miss it, but if you do, you can always watch it later!

sj

Ted has some awesome pictures for this week... here is a teaser!

TedTeaser01web.jpg

Attachments

• TedTeaser01web.jpg
    TedTeaser01web.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,053
Thank you in advance to everyone. I truly enjoy sharing the wonderful scenery of Alaska with each and all of you. I've always wanted to spend and entire summer in Alaska. Last year was my chance. I'm richly blessed to be able to share my experiences. A special "Thank You!" to Steve for giving me the privilege to do the presentation and to my wife for letting me go on these adventures!

Another great TedTalk with stunning photos. You can’t match Ted’s enthusiasm for flying in this area! If you missed it, watch it on YouTube!

sj

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Thanks for the great presentation! I learned a lot about the area I hope to visit someday.

Great presentation and fantastic photos. Ted didn't talk much about the mining that went on around there back when, but the history of that is amazing as well. Ted had a number of photos of some of the old mine sites, waaaay up on steep mountain sides, which begs the question: How'd they get all that lumber up there? The hard way.

Back when Kennicott was developing the mines, they realized they needed a railway to move the ore to tidewater. The Board of Directors were interviewing engineers to decide whether it could be done. One such engineer was a guy named Michael Haney. When asked by the Board if he could build such a railroad, his response was "Give me enough snoose and dynamite and I'll build you a railroad to Hell."

And, he built it. It was called the Copper River and North Western, shortened to CR and NW.....wags called it the "Can't Run and Never Will".

Great country in the Wrangells, and fantastic history as well.

Thanks for the tour, Ted!

MTV

Thank you Mike! Little know facts: Though there are millions of trees in the Wrangell’s, all the wood for the Kennicott mine buildings were brought 197 miles from the coast. Bigger trees and better wood I guess. Until recently, the Kennicott mill building was the tallest all wood structure on the planet! I believe some new building in the Far East surpassed its size in the last year or two.

An excellent book about the building the railway to Kennicott, "The
Copper Spike". An amazing feat for the time. 1911??? Been many years since I read it.

What poor timing on Supercub.org's or my part! I went there last weekend and toured around w/ family. Could have used a lot of this great info. Had fun anyway and will go back in the future to explore and camp more.
Thank you Ted and Supercub.org. DSC_2224.JPG

Sent from my D5503 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• DSC_2224.JPG
    DSC_2224.JPG
    252.6 KB · Views: 161
Thank you! Next time you head that way give me a heads up. I can at least share my favorite places with you!

Thanks Supercub.org. and Ted. Ted, I really enjoyed the photos and your details about the geology and the glaciers. There is a geologist at Central Washington University that is interested in rock glaciers and has recently found a few in the eastern cascades of Washington, but nothing of the magnitude of those in your photos.

Wow, that is super interesting that there are some rock glaciers in E Washington. I'd love to learn more--if you find his name/email/or article info please post. Thank you!

Back