• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Dealing with a Flat Tire in the Backcountry

I haven't tried it on bushwheels yet, but one trick I learned rock crawling was to carry a heavy gauge needle and some mechanic's wire. When (not if, WHEN) we sliced a sidewall, we would stitch it up with the wire, then push plugs in between the stitches. Usually that was enough to seal "ok", sometimes we had to light the plugs on fire and mush them in a little better...

Damn, Glenn where do I get a woman like that to help with plane. Does she change wheels to ski too. Chip

I keep spares in the hangar, and dollies, and jacks . . . Still, it is a major undertaking at a paved controlled field. They send out a forklift, and you have to fight them off to save your aircraft. Sometimes the fire department comes!

That is the biggest deal - the firehouse is at the end of the runway, so they come the long way around (usually six vehicles). Then they backtrack to a place near the firehouse, but on the other side of the gate. Then they have a strategy meeting. By then we have the aircraft the required 50 feet from the runway edge. The news truck usually beats the arrival of the fire boss. Great fun!

Once I get the spare wheel and jack, it is 15 minutes, including the hubcap. Gad, I hate flat tires.

Dammit! I fell out of my chair! My wife ran in to see if I was having a stroke!

I stole the 12 VDC air compressor out of my Prius ( don't laugh, last fill-up was 58+ mpg) and bought a large patch kit from NAPA (BIG patches). 10 ounces, all up.

Back