• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Heat on lower cowl

cgoldy

Moogerah Queensland Australia
I have just built a new lower cowl out of carbon fibre. Looks great, stiff as a board and light. Looks like my cracking problems may have gone away. Also made and installed cf cowling rails. I’m not keen on the amount of radiated heat coming from the exhaust onto the CF. No damage yet but I think it should be addressed. I have some reflective insulation material to place On the cowl under the exhaust. Would there be any problem with wrapping the exhaust with header fibreglass tape?

cgoldy

I have used straight e-glass (marine store) and 0.040 SS wire for those hard to protect areas. Never liked it. But, it worked.

My 0540 uses handy dandy hard shields in areas. The cool air can get behind and in front of the hard shield. Glass tape wrapping gets filled with dirt, oil and is a moisture sponge (after shutdown).

BD227644-EA7B-4051-B19F-514BF7176D50.jpeg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_fiber

The basis of textile-grade glass fibers is silica, SiO[SUB]2[/SUB]. In its pure form it exists as a polymer, (SiO[SUB]2[/SUB])[SUB]n[/SUB]. It has no true melting point but softens up to 1200 °C, where it starts to degrade. At 1713 °C, most of the molecules can move about freely. If the glass is extruded and cooled quickly at this temperature, it will be unable to form an ordered structure

Attachments

• BD227644-EA7B-4051-B19F-514BF7176D50.jpeg
    BD227644-EA7B-4051-B19F-514BF7176D50.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Back