• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super Cub Structural Failure

Steve, Tom Ford uses the Anvil reference as well. See, he did remember some of your training. :)

I’ve always believed the smoothest pilots could loop and roll any aircraft safely. I’d venture that Bob Hoover likely had a very good sense of feel for how much strain he was applying to the airframe.
Trouble is when the manure hits the fan it’s hard to retain that smooth frame of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

There is a video of a Partenavia P.68 coming apart during an air show routine. The pilot had flown that routine many times and reportedly never over-g'd it. However, the cumulative stress of repeatedly taking it up to the limit caused metal fatigue. Both wings failed simutaneously, just outboard of the engines. His wife was narrating. We studied this mishap at Safety School.

I don't fly acro in my Super Cub, just like I don't take my Pitts to the gravel bars.

Used and abused for 70 plus years and they are still flying. I have seen loose false spars from overspending flaps and my 13,000 hour Super Cub had worn through the leading edges at the screw holes holding them to the spar.
Found this on a pre-buy for my brother. Rear spar had a slight tweak from a groundloop somewhere in its life.
View attachment 49671
More recent Carbon Cub FX3 groundloop.
View attachment 49672
View attachment 49673

I think there was some talk about taking down a powerline with it. Ron said I have to come out and he will tell me in person. Aileron spar was tweaked too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In getting approval for their stc, I was told that Wip loaded a Cub to 2000 lbs (something too many do without the stc), and then flew/stressed it to its certified g limit to see where in fact it would bend or break. The location of the doublers tells me this is where it broke or bent. Which also tells me that anyone that has overloaded their cub and stressed it could have the same problem.

It would be interesting to know what G force was applied at failure point. I approximated a calculation of 9.5 g’s for the 1750 version, but there were un- calculatable factors involved , which is why I went with the Wipaire mod plus the Atlee front strut attach beef-up....where the spars bend was the other factor that would have to be measured unto destruction...

What bothered me about that was that you couldn’t use the double shear numbers for a 5/16 bolt with that thin steel bracket that attached the strut to the wing, as a tear-out could not be accurately predicted. The interesting thing about the Wipaire mod was that thick link to back up the coupling of the rear strut..that inspired me to do the same with the front.

...you couldn’t use the double shear numbers for a 5/16 bolt with that thin steel bracket that attached the strut to the wing, as a tear-out could not be accurately predicted. The interesting thing about the Wipaire mod was that thick link to back up the coupling of the rear strut..that inspired me to do the same with the front.

People always talk aboit the spar cap portion on the 2000lb GWI mod but no one remembers that there is more to it, specifically the point you make above. I have seen the photos from the static testing they did. It is quite impressive. This is the rear strut fitting that is added for the 2000lb GW increase.

IMG_3641.jpg

I was un aware FA Dodge had a mod for the front strut attach point. Is it on their website?

Attachments

• IMG_3641.jpg
    IMG_3641.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 1,768
I met a pilot several years ago that claimed 2 F 16s buzzed him over Lake Okeechobee . Said his Maule was substantially damaged and he suffered a broken neck but he managed to limp back to the airport. Government bought him a new Maule and paid his medical bills. Back in the day it was a MOA and the old F4s would make a straffing run on us at 100 foot while driving cattle across the prairies . My point is,,extreme turbulence can bend a plane.

Sent from my SM-G960U using SuperCub.Org mobile app

The F-16s were in a MOA at the time training to keep your butt safe. I read the report. You heard one side of the story. They did not "buzz" him. The closure at 450 kts is astounding when you are approaching an aircraft going 80-100. They probably never saw one another. I never heard about them buying him an airplane.

I met a pilot several years ago that claimed 2 F 16s buzzed him over Lake Okeechobee . Said his Maule was substantially damaged and he suffered a broken neck but he managed to limp back to the airport. Government bought him a new Maule and paid his medical bills. Back in the day it was a MOA and the old F4s would make a straffing run on us at 100 foot while driving cattle across the prairies . My point is,,extreme turbulence can bend a plane.

Actually the F-16s were on a VR or IR route that runs over Okeechobe into Avon Park restricted areas. Planes like the F-16 have to be in protected airspace to exceed 250 KIAS below 10,000.

The F-16s were in a MOA at the time training to keep your butt safe. I read the report. You heard one side of the story. They did not "buzz" him. The closure at 450 kts is astounding when you are approaching an aircraft going 80-100. They probably never saw one another. I never heard about them buying him an airplane.
I must assume you didn't have the opportunity to speak with the pilot like I did,, facts are he was injured and aircraft substantially damaged due to near miss Scooter.

My objection is to the term "buzz" job. That implies that the F-16s came close to him intentionally. There were a lot of inconsistencies between the Maule and F-16 pilots. Those VR and IR routes are there for a good reason.
Try reading this and get back to me. He lost his case. I think Mr Scruggs is full of it.

CONCLUSION
Accordingly, it is ORDERED AND ADJUDGED as follows:
1. Final Judgment is entered in favor of Defendant United States of America and against Plaintiffs Thomas Scruggs and Deborah Scruggs, his wife. The Court will enter *1549 a separate final judgment in accordance with this Order.
2. All pending motions not otherwise ruled on are DENIED AS MOOT.
DONE AND ORDERED.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/959/1537/2367015/

I must assume you didn't have the opportunity to speak with the pilot like I did,, facts are he was injured and aircraft substantially damaged due to near miss Scooter.

Last edited:

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/ReportGeneratorFile.ashx?EventID=20001211X15227&AKey=1&RType=HTML&IType=LA

Apparently, Mr Scruggs didn't have a medical at the time. He showed up the next day to get one with a "broken neck." There is no way that the Air Force bought him a new Maule and paid his medical bills. He also flew right past Okeechobee and landed over 40 miles away in Stuart.

On the morning of 7 July, Mr. Scruggs did not posses a valid medical certificate issued under Federal Aviation Regulations Part 67 in violation of FAR 61.3 para (c). An enforcement action in regard to this violation is being
processed by the Atlanta Regional Office of the FAA (Tab 0-1). Subsequent to the mid-air mishap, Mr. Scruggs later that same day at approximately 1530, passed an FAA medical examination. The FAA designated medical examiner was Dr. Bruce C. Equi, D.O., of Stuart, FL. (Tab 0-1). It appears that Mr. Scruggs may have falsified information on his medical application regarding the date of his then most current medical examination (Tab 0-1).

https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML0302/ML030290501.pdf

Last edited:
Y
Apparently, Mr Scruggs didn't have a medical at the time. He showed up the next day to get one with a "broken neck." There is no way that the Air Force bought him a new Maule and paid his medical bills. He also flew right past Okeechobee and landed over 40 miles away in Stuart.

On the morning of 7 July, Mr. Scruggs did not posses a valid medical certificate issued under Federal Aviation Regulations Part 67 in violation of FAR 61.3 para (c). An enforcement action in regard to this violation is being
processed by the Atlanta Regional Office of the FAA (Tab 0-1). Subsequent to the mid-air mishap, Mr. Scruggs later that same day at approximately 1530, passed an FAA medical examination. The FAA designated medical examiner was Dr. Bruce C. Equi, D.O., of Stuart, FL. (Tab 0-1). It appears that Mr. Scruggs may have falsified information on his medical application regarding the date of his then most current medical examination (Tab 0-1).

https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML0302/ML030290501.pdf
Well I guess Mr.Scruggs refrained from disclosing all of the facts such as expired medical, and entering a hot moa,, guess we'll never know if it was intentionally done or not regardless of adjudication.

A flight of 4 F-16’s, operated by pilot’s including a Major, Lt. Colonel and full Colonel.... I would doubt it was an intentional buzz job.

I've gotten a face full of Cessna at 480 kt on a low level before. There was nothing intentional about it.

Thread drift happens. Last “relevant” post was 11 days ago. I‘m sure it will come back soon........

Kind like a real life conversation.

After reading all the links I am curious what else was wrong with the Maule besides bending the struts.

Getting upset by an F16 opposing pass would have scared the crap out of me in any light aircraft. Good reason to be aware, vigilant and check notams. The airspace is big right up until it’s not.

Many pilots have come out of uncontrolled flight and bent the airframe during recovery. Which is way better than the alternative.

I expect it may be hard to not overreact as up until that point the entire situation was going the other way. Loss of control, panic, disorientation. But the first thing you do is land, before any bends before breaks.

In the report it notes that the Maule pilot had a ASEL PPL issued in 1989. Would this indicate the first issuance or a renewal of some sort.? The pilot reported having 6000 hrs 3 years later in 1992.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

In the report it notes that the Maule pilot had a ASEL PPL issued in 1989. Would this indicate the first issuance or a renewal of some sort.? The pilot reported having 6000 hrs 3 years later in 1992.
In the old days this was called P-51 time. (Parker 51) 8) For you youngsters, Parker made pens.

Back