• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Torque Tube Options?

Adam Gordon

I am getting to the point in my project to fit up the torque tube and I'm wondering what options are out there? I know carbon cub has their design and the original piper option. Is there anyone else out there machining a torque tube from billet that is nice and tight?

Thanks

I'm assuming you mean the tube that both control sticks connect to? Sure you're not overthinking this? It's a tube mounted in a couple of blocks with very limited amounts of travel. I'm only an electrical guy but it seems like anything more than maybe P-Tex strips, for bearings, might be overkill.

Much more and you get into re design issues. Lots of expended energy and not much, if any, payoff.

Web

I’m sure I’m over thinking it but at this point I’m looking for options before I spend countless hours on the milling machine.

I’m sure I’m over thinking it but at this point I’m looking for options before I spend countless hours on the milling machine.

I just use the normal ones on my builds......

there was one guy on here that spent $3k+? To have one machined to solve a problem that’s wasn’t a problem.....

But he seemed happy, and poorer....

I think that was on a Back country kit they use wrong size tube for bushing and it IS A SLOPPY FIT ... backcountry problem, not design issue...

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Cub crafters and legends moac both have new/updated torque tube/stick assembly.

I contacted the folks at Vintage Aerofab about a year ago about their torque tube assembly. At that time they told me they were not set up for production of the assembly. They gave me a price to do a one-off which made my eyes bug out. Nice looking bit of machining and I think it’s worth some extra cash but I decided the amount they wanted was more than I could justify.

Mr. Ed

Some of the best Super Cub jockeys in the world have gotten by for decades flying with the Piper design but if you're the type of builder that likes to shoot the money cannon at gadgets then why not.

I do understand this could be a useless money pit in most folks opinion. I have the tools to produce the parts and wanted to see what was out there for options. My main goal is for the controls to be nice, tight, and crisp. I am going to do some playing around and see what comes of it. If I don't like it I will install a standard piper design.

If it's a matter of you wanting to make your own, it makes sense. If it's a matter of re engineering, put your time and energy into reducing weight of the aircraft.

Web

I do understand this could be a useless money pit in most folks opinion. I have the tools to produce the parts and wanted to see what was out there for options. My main goal is for the controls to be nice, tight, and crisp. I am going to do some playing around and see what comes of it. If I don't like it I will install a standard piper design.

maybe a nice way to put a drop of lube through the hole in the top cap instead of just a hole.

Have you looked at mine in the link provided earlier?
CS5.jpg

Attachments

• CS5.jpg
    CS5.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 245
Maybe a grease fitting?

Web

drop of silicone or something similar works and takes a small amount, thought of that and it would work, just thinking keeping the grease gun out of there. maybe drilling the end of a zerc so that a small tube like on a lps can to extend it would just fit in the drilled hole snug?

Last edited:

Have you looked at mine in the link provided earlier?
View attachment 49575
Adam, most of the slop in Piper's system is the connection between the sticks and their socket. Machining the socket for a close tolerance fit as Charlie has done will remove that slop. Beyond that use ball bearing pulleys for the cables, Heim rod ends for the aileron hinges and tighten the cables.

Adam, most of the slop in Piper's system is the connection between the sticks and their socket. Machining the socket for a close tolerance fit as Charlie has done will remove that slop. Beyond that use ball bearing pulleys for the cables, Heim rod ends for the aileron hinges and tighten the cables.

Those sound like wise words and will most likely be the route I take.

Back