• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Podcast - AOPA, Mark Murphy, Accidental Flat Spin

Farmboy

Middlebury, VT
I'm not really a fan of the podcast types of presentations, but as Mark gave me my last Biannual I thought I'd give this one a listen. Perhaps unlike others I've tried, this one gets better the longer it goes. Good stories are often like that, continually more interesting as you listen.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...-was#utm_source=There i was&utm_medium=IG BIO

So remember. Learn about the airplane you're flying today. And check the weight and balance.
pb

Last edited:
Thank you for posting. Learned a new concept ‘cognitive ease’. While reducing power in spin recovery is a normal technique, and probably became institutional from controlling gyro forces on early rotary engines with blip power control, the Pitts will recover and lose less energy with a power on recovery. This is normal in competition.

Arguably aerobatic instructors/pilots should demonstrate changeover spin (from upright to inverted) and inadvertent flat spin recovery every year. The T-67M Firefly has interesting spin characteristics where inadvertent high rotation spin entry requires re applying pro spin control input and then anti spin to recover.

Once in stable auto rotation rate of descent is closer to 9,000 fpm in these aircraft. Interesting how quickly in this incident the aircraft was in stable autorotation. I wonder if the Christen Eagle in this example became an expensive paper weight with those Mass and Balance characteristics.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Arguably aerobatic instructors/pilots should demonstrate changeover spin (from upright to inverted) and inadvertent flat spin recovery every year.

I know zero about flying aerobatics beyond the basics and what a manoeuvre may be named.

Can you explain “changeover spin”, and is this something that’s used, where you can change your spin, mid-spin?

Thanks,
Pb

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

Alan Cassidy in his excellent book Better Aerobatics dedicates a section in the chapter on competition spins on managing the threat of a changeover spin. This chapter and section merit careful reading until it is properly understood. The following is a very condensed summary.

Using a Lycoming powered aerobatic aircraft and spinning to the left, a one turn spin, because of the relative wind and the spin being only one turn, will leave the aircraft in a relatively shallow down line when the spin stops. Competition aerobatics end spins in a vertical down line. This creates a conditioning to move the control column quite far forward to overcome the shallow attitude and achieve a vertical down line.

Now let’s take a one and a half turn competition spin. On recovery the relative wind (you commence competition spins into wind) is pushing the tail into a steeper attitude, and the spin being more than one turn also results in the aircraft having a stepper down line.

Because of conditioning, and also some general misapprehension that a universal spin recovery involves full forward stick, the pilot pushes the control column past the vertical and in a short coupled aerobatic aircraft with strong pitch controls this may set up a dynamic inverted stall.

The aircraft entered a left turning spin in addition to left yaw will have a left rolling motion. The pilot used full opposite rudder (right) in recovery but because she or he pushed past vertical into a dynamic inverted stall, the aircraft enters an inverted or changeover spin (upright to inverted). The original left rolling tendency continues and unless you understand what has happened and look through the cabane struts to appreciate what is happening, your full right rudder has placed you in a right yaw inverted spin with a left rolling motion. If your conditioning is to continue to push the control column forward this will increase the violence of the spin. You took the correct anti spin actions but the spin has accelerated!

To recover apply full opposite rudder, i.e. re apply left rudder, and relax your white knuckle death grip on the control column by bringing it back to neutral. Inverted there is no rudder blanking (assuming you are not in a T-tail!), and re applying the left rudder and stopping the negative alpha of full forward stick will cause a quick recovery. Applying full power will also increase the effectiveness of the pitch and rudder controls, with some torque to assist in correcting for right inverted yaw.

As you might imagine, without understanding the threat of a changeover spin entering one ignorant of the dynamic is highly stressful.

An important supplement is the Law of conservation of angular momentum. In effect this causes the spin forces to accelerate as the aircraft moves closer to a vertical down line.

Understanding well what happens when jamming the control column forward in the belief of a universal panacea against spins reminds me of Bertrand Russell’s essay on universals.

“The man who has fed the chicken every day throughout its life at last wrings its neck instead, showing that more refined views as to the uniformity of nature would have been useful to the chicken.”

While inadvertent crossover spins can be very disorienting, intentional ones are quite a lot of fun. I like starting with an inverted left rudder spin, ending up in an upright right spin. The neat thing about them is that, even though the direction of rotation appears to reverse from inside the plane, seen from the outside the rotation stays the same. In the case of the left inverted, right upright crossover, the spin is clockwise. All that changes is the direction of up for the pilot

The Beggs-Mueller spin recovery technique will reliably recover a Pitts or Eagle in any spin mode. I've tried it in every type spin I can think of, and it works every time.

Mark gave a very good low level energy management lesson in a T6 Texan yesterday at our breakfast

Glenn

While Beggs Mueller is excellent in the Pitts there are certain types where it doesn’t help!

The Zlin 242 tends to suck the elevator in the up position in an upright stable spin. Letting go of the control column will do nothing-in fact you need two hands to move the control column forward. It then stops the spin very suddenly sometimes the Hooker harness leaving some good bruises.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I met Mark a few years ago. He spends some time at our airport. He is a very friendly individual and very competent. I have met his Dad a few times too. I saw him giving TW instruction in a Husky and he was very willing to help when I asked him about some of the techniques he used teaching wheel landings as I was about to start working with a guy in his PA12 that needed a TW endorsement.

Rich

Back