Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 181

Thread: New kid on the block - Smith Cub

  1. #1
    Buzzcola777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like

    New kid on the block - Smith Cub

    INDEX

    Folks,
    Retirement at last!! Happy not because I did not like to fly, Nooooo…Happy because I’m finally starting a long-time dream about building an airplane…Not any airplane but a PA-18 Supercub. A bit about myself, 45 years as a pilot including 30 years in the Canadian Forces, experimenting all kinds of toys Jets & Helicopters (even a stint on F-104 Starfighter – that tells you a little bit about my age!) and lately 8 years in UAE (Dubai & Abu Dhabi) flying offshore & VVIP on AW139.

    Now, the real stuff! This thread will be about the building of a Supercub kit provided by Nick Smith of BBI Aviation (http://bbiaviation.com) located in Ontario – Canada. So to start with, I pretty well did like everybody else, which is reading everything referring to the Supercub then I ordered the Northland CD, studied it and went down to Nick’s place to talk aviation. Nick & his son (Nick Jr) are simply gentlemen! Nothing is complicated with the Smiths and they’ll add any modifications to your project with no additional charges!! I was hooked and order a kit!

    Upon my return, (I live on the South shore of Montreal), I built a workshop in my garage and bought a bunch of tools just to look like someone who knew what he was doing. Now, this cub will have a 0-360 pulling the beast with pretty well all mods available today for this type of aircraft. I’m planning to cover it with the Stewart System due to the fact that I’ll do it at home and want to stay married for a couple more years.

    I am a first time builder...so I will post a bunch of photos of my project and rely on you guys to point me in the right direction if you see something that just does not make any sense or simply suggesting a better / easier way to do things! So, here we go…

    Dan

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Visit Smith Cub 011.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	49499
    Visiting BBI Aviation with Nick Smith in his shop (fuselage section)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Visit Smith Cub 043.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	49500
    Wing Workshop

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NA001 005.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	49501
    Now, let's make an opening for the new workshop at home

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NA005 001.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	49503
    Wife said: OMG!!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NA012 004.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	49504
    Getting there...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photos 020.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	49505
    Wife said: OK carry on!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photos 057.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	49506
    Garage ready!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z105a.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	49507 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z111.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	49508 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z121.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	49509
    Worshop ready!! Fumes & dust meet your friend!

    More to follow...
    Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NA004 001.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	49502  
    Last edited by Buzzcola777; 09-19-2020 at 10:23 AM.
    Thanks 8GCBC thanked for this post

  2. #2
    WhiskeyMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West Boxford MA
    Posts
    933
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice shop. What did you use on the floor?

  3. #3
    Buzzcola777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    You seal the floor with 100% polyaspartic (colour of your choice) then you add the flakes and finally you seal it with 100% clear polyaspertic...Will resist pretty well to all kind of spills.

  4. #4
    G44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    554
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dan, I sure like your work table. What did you coat the plywood with?

    Kurt

  5. #5
    Cub junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    My Moms basement
    Posts
    2,114
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful workshop. Is that an Aeronca fuselage? I spent a lot of time in the UAE and most of the 'stan's. Always glad to get back home from there. Wish I would've installed a dust collection system years ago (cough cough)

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    633
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’m envious of all of you with mechanical talent. My IA says the only hand tool I’m allowed to use is my cell phone. Beautiful shop, I’m sure the airplane will be the same. As they say, a good landing begins with a good approach.
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

  7. #7
    tedwaltman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful shop. Starting out well organized, which is a major help. Good luck with the build! Keep us posted. I built an SQ-2--of course Smith Cubs are my ancestor

  8. #8
    Buzzcola777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by G44 View Post
    Dan, I sure like your work table. What did you coat the plywood with?

    Kurt
    Coated with 3 coats of Helmsman Spar Urethane (clear gloss). Need to sand between coats...
    Thanks G44 thanked for this post

  9. #9
    Buzzcola777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good eye! It is actually a Citabria 7GCBC that I've flown for couple years. I removed the fabric and put in storage for the time being.

  10. #10
    Buzzcola777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Aircraft arrival

    Here we are! The cub has arrived! Delivered by Nick himself!! He is around 78 years old and travel across Canada & USA by himself to deliver his babies...Amazing! So, photos of the arrival + a little description of what is included in the kit. In order to get further details , go to Nick's web site (http://bbiaviation.com) - Kit for sale - PA18.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	49512 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	082.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	49513 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	098.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	49514

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	49515 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	133.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	49516 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	152.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	49517

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	021.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	49518

  11. #11
    Olibuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    849
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice project! Had the chance to meat Nick Smith, he is a real gentleman and does awesome work.

    I'm a little north of Montreal in St-Eustache, and my exp Cub is in my backyard, if it can help.

  12. #12
    Hardtailjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Marion, MT
    Posts
    770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice!!! Looking forward to the build.
    John

  13. #13
    Buzzcola777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Olibuilt View Post
    Very nice project! Had the chance to meat Nick Smith, he is a real gentleman and does awesome work.

    I'm a little north of Montreal in St-Eustache, and my exp Cub is in my backyard, if it can help.
    Tiguidou Oli, I'm sure I'll need all the help I can get!!

  14. #14
    Buzzcola777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Let's start this project!

    Now that I brought the fuselage to my house, it is time to start building! But, hey, where do I start??? The kit comes with no documentations whatsoever…Panic!! But a miracle happened…A light at the end of the tunnel…Supercub.Org.

    A wealth of smart people helping each other at finding solutions to a myriad of problems and giving a chance to beginners like myself to reach the ultimate goal…Flying what you have built!!

    I would like to take this opportunity to thanks Bill Rusk for putting together 2 great threads about building a Smith & Javron Cub loaded with photos which are very inspiring, Christian Sturm’s Experimental Supercub project web page, Olibuilt with his red devil and all other members pitching advices & tricks to help in this adventure. Thanks to all of you, enthusiastic Cub builders and drivers!!

    Let’s start this project!

    I bought few parts from Jay (Javron) and one of them is the Elevator Trim Yoke. So, I decided to make the Elevator balance cable pulley housing.


    First Drawing Drawing to metal Portable Metal Saw (Milwakee)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	49535 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012B.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	49536 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	49537
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013B.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	49538 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013C.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	49539 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	027A.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	49540
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	030.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	49541 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30-04-2017 001.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	49542 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30-04-2017 003.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	49543
    Voilà!

    Jay Desrosiers makes beautiful parts for our Cubs!
    More to follow...
    Dan
    Last edited by Buzzcola777; 06-20-2020 at 01:02 PM.
    Likes Hardtailjohn, Bugs66 liked this post

  15. #15
    Bearhawk Builder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In the woods
    Posts
    713
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love all those shiny new tools, nice set up. You're going to have a lot of fun!

  16. #16

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    297
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzcola777 View Post
    Folks,
    Retirement at last!! Happy not because I did not like to fly, Nooooo…Happy because I’m finally starting a long-time dream about building an airplane…Not any airplane but a PA-18 Supercub. A bit about myself, 45 years as a pilot including 30 years in the Canadian Forces, experimenting all kinds of toys Jets & Helicopters (even a stint on F-104 Starfighter – that tells you a little bit about my age!) and lately 8 years in UAE (Dubai & Abu Dhabi) flying offshore & VVIP on AW139.

    Now, the real stuff! This thread will be about the building of a Supercub kit provided by Nick Smith of BBI Aviation (http://bbiaviation.com) located in Ontario – Canada. So to start with, I pretty well did like everybody else, which is reading everything referring to the Supercub then I ordered the Northland CD, studied it and went down to Nick’s place to talk aviation. Nick & his son (Nick Jr) are simply gentlemen! Nothing is complicated with the Smiths and they’ll add any modifications to your project with no additional charges!! I was hooked and order a kit!

    Upon my return, (I live on the South shore of Montreal), I built a workshop in my garage and bought a bunch of tools just to look like someone who knew what he was doing. Now, this cub will have a 0-360 pulling the beast with pretty well all mods available today for this type of aircraft. I’m planning to cover it with the Stewart System due to the fact that I’ll do it at home and want to stay married for a couple more years.

    I am a first time builder...so I will post a bunch of photos of my project and rely on you guys to point me in the right direction if you see something that just does not make any sense or simply suggesting a better / easier way to do things! So, here we go…

    Dan

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Visit Smith Cub 011.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	49499
    Visiting BBI Aviation with Nick Smith in his shop (fuselage section)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Visit Smith Cub 043.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	49500
    Wing Workshop

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NA001 005.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	49501
    Now, let's make an opening for the new workshop at home

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NA005 001.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	49503
    Wife said: OMG!!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NA012 004.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	49504
    Getting there...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photos 020.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	49505
    Wife said: OK carry on!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photos 057.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	49506
    Garage ready!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z105a.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	49507 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z111.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	49508 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z121.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	49509
    Worshop ready!! Fumes & dust meet your friend!

    More to follow...
    Dan
    Awesome to see, Great People. Nick provided me a Cub at a great price. Great to see these pics of a guy who has a great heart and made it happen for me. I will follow Your Journey. Request me on Facebook to if You do that sort. Thank You for Sharing.
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

  17. #17
    skywagon8a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    10,370
    Post Thanks / Like
    You may find this helpful. https://www.supercub.com/builders/ I started my fuselage with the floorboards, since nearly everything else would need to be removed to get them in.
    N1PA
    Likes 8GCBC liked this post

  18. #18
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    19,818
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look forward to following your progress.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes Buzzcola777, 8GCBC liked this post

  19. #19
    Buzzcola777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    You may find this helpful. https://www.supercub.com/builders/ I started my fuselage with the floorboards, since nearly everything else would need to be removed to get them in.
    That's going to be very helpful.
    Thanks!!

  20. #20
    tedwaltman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning Dan! I build carbon fiber floor panels. Saved 10 lbs (!!) over the std wood ones. If you’re interested, I’ll put together a PDF with pictures, materials and steps to help you. Ted
    Likes courierguy, 8GCBC, C-FIJK liked this post

  21. #21
    Buzzcola777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tedwaltman1 View Post
    Good morning Dan! I build carbon fiber floor panels. Saved 10 lbs (!!) over the std wood ones. If you’re interested, I’ll put together a PDF with pictures, materials and steps to help you. Ted
    Thanks Ted for your offer! That would be really cool to see what you've done with these panels!

  22. #22
    Buzzcola777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mr. Carboard, come here!

    Now that I have sheets of aluminium in stock, I may as well start cutting out carboard panels

    Let's kick it! Upper baggage area Lower baggage area - A moose could fit there
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel Cardboard (9).jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	49558 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel Cardboard (17).jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	49559 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel Cardboard (20).jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	49560
    Cool fit
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel Cardboard (28).jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	49561 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel Cardboard (34).jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	49562 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel Cardboard (35).jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	49563

    Well that was fun!
    Cheers!
    Dan
    Likes 8GCBC, Hardtailjohn, Riverking liked this post

  23. #23
    tedwaltman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll get a PDF out on the floor panels when I’m back in town. Be about a week.
    Likes Buzzcola777, 8GCBC, RaisedByWolves liked this post

  24. #24
    Buzzcola777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Upper Cabin Area

    Now templates for the upper cabin area. I know that for most of you it is not the highlight of the day looking at pics of of guy cutting out cardboards. So let’s put a little smile on our faces with this quote: ‘’Taking a dog named Shark to the beach…Is a bad idea’’

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel Cardboard (23).jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	49587 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel Cardboard 039 (32).jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	49588 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel Cardboard 040 (1).jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	49589
    Wooden blocks (Oak) - waterproof Need space for Flap & Trim cables... Also for the fuel lines behing the back wall
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel Cardboard 040 (9).jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	49590 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel Cardboard 040 (8).jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	49591 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel Cardboard 040 (12).jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	49592
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel Cardboard 040 (13).jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	49593 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel Cardboard 040 (5).jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	49594 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel Cardboard 040 (28).jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	49595
    Enough room overhead?? Not sure...

    More to follow...
    Dan

  25. #25
    C-GZUP Jorfarms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Mervin Sask.
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F72FB47E-A605-466A-973F-4DCD98B8119E.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	49596Congratlations Dan
    you look like your set up to make things happen. I have the April center fold in the Super Cub calendar and it’s a Smith cub. I never built it but enjoy flying it. Will follow your progress. Good luck.
    Floyd
    Thanks 8GCBC thanked for this post

  26. #26
    Buzzcola777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Floyd,
    Thanks for this beautiful picture, a real morale booster! If you don't mind, I may request from time to time specific pics from you about a system / installation that I can't figure out. Lots of surprises around the corner waiting for me...
    Dan

  27. #27
    skywagon8a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    10,370
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzcola777 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel Cardboard 040 (5).jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	49594
    Enough room overhead?? Not sure...

    More to follow...
    Dan
    You might consider using a very dark piece of plexiglass for a skylight over your head. Dark keeps the sun at bay but still allows you to see out comfortably. This will also give you a bit more headroom. Cubs do have skylights.
    N1PA
    Likes Hardtailjohn, C-FIJK liked this post

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Down low in the hills of Vermont USA
    Posts
    1,508
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzcola777 View Post
    So let’s put a little smile on our faces with this quote: ‘’Taking a dog named Shark to the beach…Is a bad idea’’

    more to follow...
    Dan
    I never saw a problem with that, It makes for a much less crowded and hectic day once the few left settle down.
    Regards, Charlie
    Super Coupe E-AB build in process

  29. #29
    Buzzcola777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    It could be the angle from which the photo was taken but I'm planning to have a skylight. Take a look at this picture, the cardboard stops at the passenger seat. Thanks for the advice! Dan

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel Cardboard 040 (4).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	49597
    Likes 8GCBC, Hardtailjohn liked this post

  30. #30
    skywagon8a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    10,370
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought that you were in the front seat. Thanks for the side view.
    N1PA

  31. #31
    Buzzcola777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    I thought that you were in the front seat. Thanks for the side view.
    Nothing like a good double-check!

  32. #32
    C-GZUP Jorfarms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Mervin Sask.
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like
    For sure Dan if you need any pictures of anything just send me a private message and we can bypass the forum.
    Floyd
    The bad news is time flies. The good news is that your the pilot.

  33. #33
    Buzzcola777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorfarms View Post
    For sure Dan if you need any pictures of anything just send me a private message and we can bypass the forum.
    Floyd
    Thanks Flyod!

  34. #34
    RaisedByWolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,080
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tedwaltman1 View Post
    I’ll get a PDF out on the floor panels when I’m back in town. Be about a week.
    Can you post it too?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  35. #35
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    19,818
    Post Thanks / Like
    The whole point in the forum is to help others who might have the same question. If you post the photos here you will be helping countless people for years to come.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks CharlieN, Riverking thanked for this post

  36. #36
    Buzzcola777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Red face Aluminum Panels

    Now that I have templates for the upper & lower panels, it is time to try my aluminum snips. Panels will be made of 6061-T6, thickness .020

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panels 054c.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	49625
    First, I'll begin with the lower panels

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panels 056.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	49626
    Aft baggage door

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panels Aluminium 002.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	49627
    Someone mentionned on one of the thread that cutting pieces of protective film with a soldering iron worked pretty good. Well, it sure does makes it easy.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panels Aluminium 005.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	49629
    Makes perfect lines without sratching the aluminum.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panels Aluminium 006.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	49630
    Portable bath

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panels Aluminium 007.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	49631

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panels Aluminium 010.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	49632 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panels Aluminium 024.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	49633 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panels Aluminium 027.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	49634
    Made a cover to protect the flaps cable



    Next, the upper baggage section.
    Dan
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

  37. #37
    C-GZUP Jorfarms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Mervin Sask.
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your right Steve, I do like how your able to resize the pictures so they fit on here. I’d hate to post something that I think is smart but only to find out it’s OLD news.
    Floyd
    The bad news is time flies. The good news is that your the pilot.

  38. #38
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    19,818
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorfarms View Post
    Your right Steve, I do like how your able to resize the pictures so they fit on here. I’d hate to post something that I think is smart but only to find out it’s OLD news.
    Floyd
    It is a two way street. You will probably help someone else and someone might best an improvement or better way. We just keep learning till we are dead. I tell people I hope to be pretty smart when they start shoveling dirt on my face.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  39. #39

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you are doing a great job..
    One thing you might want to keep in the back of your mind when you are installing panels and floorboards is you may want to remove them after the plane is covered. You should be able to access all parts of the plane for maintenance. Also, you can't have too many inspection ports..
    My 2 cents worth.
    On a side note, I have a 200 hp Smith Cub and love it. I fly in the high density altitude SW US and it does great. I'll be happy to help if you have any questions. I've owned 4 Super Cubs and and worked as an A&P and IA on several rebuilds, so I am always thinking maintenance
    Mike
    Likes 8GCBC, DENNY, Low Lead liked this post

  40. #40
    Buzzcola777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punda View Post
    Looks like you are doing a great job..
    One thing you might want to keep in the back of your mind when you are installing panels and floorboards is you may want to remove them after the plane is covered. You should be able to access all parts of the plane for maintenance. Also, you can't have too many inspection ports..
    My 2 cents worth.
    On a side note, I have a 200 hp Smith Cub and love it. I fly in the high density altitude SW US and it does great. I'll be happy to help if you have any questions. I've owned 4 Super Cubs and and worked as an A&P and IA on several rebuilds, so I am always thinking maintenance
    Mike
    Mike,
    200 hp Smith Cub? Wow!! Post couple photos of your cub if you can!
    All the tabs on this aircraft will have anchor nuts. It is time consuming to install them but I beleive it is worth it. Easy to install and remove panels when required. I'm glad to see that there are several members with Smith Cub. You help will certainly be appreciated and it is reassuring to be surrounded by such a group of knowledgeable people.
    Take care!
    Dan
    Likes 8GCBC liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Flap bearing block STC SA02128LA
    By Tom Jones in forum Products, Purchases, Reviews & Prices
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-29-2019, 01:06 PM
  2. Ride around the block Whitelaw WI
    By Reint in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-27-2008, 09:11 AM
  3. block on top of battery box lid
    By kpk250 in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 07:11 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •