• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

powdercoating vs. paint

wacodriver

Rastede, Germany
Planning the recover of wings and tailfeathers next winter, I have to put some work in those lift struts as well. Due to our coastal enviroment, corrosion is alsways an issue.
Should I decide for powdercoating or stick with a 2K paintjob ? Which one will last longer ?

I prefer the paint, you have better control over the coverage especially in tight junctures of tubing.
Not to mention truly knowing just what the coating material is.

I've read where it's not a good idea to powder coat sealed struts. The baking/heating stage can expand the oil inside and distort the tubing. I have a friend that powder coated his and they were fine, but I don't think I'd do it. As far as tail feather tubing, etc. I asked the same question awhile back. Some like powder coating, and some don't. I ended up epoxy priming my parts. Good Luck.

I've read where it's not a good idea to powder coat sealed struts. The baking/heating stage can expand the oil inside and distort the tubing. I have a friend that powder coated his and they were fine, but I don't think I'd do it. As far as tail feather tubing, etc. I asked the same question awhile back. Some like powder coating, and some don't. I ended up epoxy priming my parts. Good Luck.

You must drill hole first. Weld up after powder coating. Airframes ak can do this for you on their struts

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I contacted a blaster/powder coating company who do government work - they have epoxy in powder form - I'm going that way with all my steel components (not the sealed struts) - just waiting for welding to be completed.

Frank

Back