• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How is the upper door latch attached to the wing ?

supercub

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate w
How is the the latch that holds the upper door open attached to the wing? Looking for suggestions on the best latch to use too. Thanks

https://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?36906-Window-latch-thingie

3DF1F923-F5F0-485A-831C-71101A89E007.png296C1915-F314-4470-8ECB-3FDDA1FC678B.png

Attachments

• 3DF1F923-F5F0-485A-831C-71101A89E007.png
    3DF1F923-F5F0-485A-831C-71101A89E007.png
    589.9 KB · Views: 350
  • 296C1915-F314-4470-8ECB-3FDDA1FC678B.png
    296C1915-F314-4470-8ECB-3FDDA1FC678B.png
    647.5 KB · Views: 286
Piper used a cabinet door latch inside the wing. Haven't seen any still working. Most I have seen are a chicken head latch screwed into the leading edge skin with 2 PK screws. I install a doubler inside the wing skin prior to assembly since that skin is only .020" or so.

Thanks Mojo, but item 52 is a bushing for the aileron cable pulley. I'm actually looking for how to mount the latch that has a lip that catches the edge of the door.
Yep, that particular drawing is kinda messed up. The link to the thread is about the latch itself.

Thanks Steve, that's what I was looking for. I didn't want to just mount it to the skin, I was thinking of a doubler too. So do you mount if just forward of the spar?
Piper used a cabinet door latch inside the wing. Haven't seen any still working. Most I have seen are a chicken head latch screwed into the leading edge skin with 2 PK screws. I install a doubler inside the wing skin prior to assembly since that skin is only .020" or so.

stew, i have that latch in my cub, works great, i can watch the door shaking when latched open in flight and not one time has it released, i made a doubler nut plate for on the inside, sortve a bugger to get in there, where it goes but got it done. first thing i did was to sit in the plane and reach out and see where and what was comfortable for me.

Very many thanks for that, we tried everything with the old latch including a rubber castration ring around the leaves of the catch spring.

Perhaps steer clear of the spar when you have the drill in your hand, it has been done I know for sure.

Kind regards

Stew

The CC catch is a cheap latch you can buy in any hardware store. If you want it to stay open in flight, get a half turn window sash lock. I like to put a extension on the handle so it is easy to operate in flight even with your mittens on. Ideally I would put this on a reinforced rib under the tank so it can be reached from either seat, and leave the stock catch up front as a stabilizer/ground catch.

On our cub we left the old cabinet catch on the door. On the inside of the wing we rigged a solid rod that extends into the cabin with a knob on the end, inside the wing root is a spring and pin to keep the rod extended. The other end of the rod is held up with a slightly oversize adel clamp screwed to the back side of the wing spar. The rod has some bends on the end so that it slides back and forth just under the fabric. with the door up the catch enters the fabric through a small hole, we pull the catch rod with one hand and push the rod through the catch. It is a very positive latching mechanism.

Brian

Dakota Cub stocks these under p/n DC12847. Unsure of price and could not find it on their website but I was there in the past weeks and walked past a bin pretty full of them ;)

I got several different chicken head latches via Amazon, they are not all the same. Some are pure junk. Sounds like Dakota Cub will be my next source since I really trust the quality of their parts. Thanks for the heads up Amy.

I got several different chicken head latches via Amazon, they are not all the same. Some are pure junk. Sounds like Dakota Cub will be my next source since I really trust the quality of their parts. Thanks for the heads up Amy.

Last one I did the same thing. And then broke down and called CubCrafters. Good to know about Dakota cub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dakota Cub stocks these under p/n DC12847. Unsure of price and could not find it on their website but I was there in the past weeks and walked past a bin pretty full of them ;)

I searched on the Dakota cub website and I could not find that part number. Are you sure that is right?

Likewise, could not find anything and I emailed them. Will let you know if I hear anything.

Kind regards

Stew

Steve,

My mechanic refused to install the chicken head latch I bought from CubCrafters because he said the wing skin was too thin. Do you have any suggestion for a way to install it on a covered wing that the mechanic would find acceptable? My window will not stay open because the cabinet door latch just isn’t strong enough anymore.

I put one of these over the wings of the cabinet latch and it improves things somewhat but no substitute for a proper solution. If not available easily in the US, happy to post some over.

One of the most distracting things when flying with the door open is waiting for it to drop out of the catch...................it always surprises you.

door latch_rubber castration rings.jpg

Attachments

• door latch_rubber castration rings.jpg
    door latch_rubber castration rings.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 174
Steve,

My mechanic refused to install the chicken head latch I bought from CubCrafters because he said the wing skin was too thin. Do you have any suggestion for a way to install it on a covered wing that the mechanic would find acceptable? My window will not stay open because the cabinet door latch just isn’t strong enough anymore.
The skin is .020" and I have had no issues installing the latch with two #6 PK screws. Have also used Rivnuts when I had one come in that had a stripped out hole. I just like adding the doubler when doing a rebuild.

I searched on the Dakota cub website and I could not find that part number. Are you sure that is right?
Those guys at Dakota Cub are better at designing and building better parts than they are at updatng their website. I would give them a call.

Steve,

Don't over tighten the screws. Alternatively, remove the fuel tank, glue a thick piece of aluminum to the inside of the fabric, reinforce with a patch of fabric over the aluminum, reinstall the tank. Nearly any type of platenut or otherwise can be attached to the piece of aluminum before it is installed.

Steve,

Just install it there. The skin is plenty thick enough. Find a new mechanic

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

So does the latch mount to the leading edge skin just forward of the spar ??

Yup, give them a call. They just updated their website and the new search tool does not appear to be yielding results. For instance, the fuel selector valve is p/n DC11383. You’ll find it if you search that, but you only find the handle if you search 11383, so it has a few little things to work out. It’s a little part and it might not be uploaded yet. Hope this helps!

—Amy

Back