• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Ceconite covering materials

Lars

Hi all!
I am new to this forum and represent a flying club in Sweden. We are in the process of restoring a PA18-150 that was once rebuilt with parts from various airframes by an old mechanic at the club. He used parts from at least four different aircraft, the using serial number 18-1415 that probably belonged to the original fuselage. This was an PA-18-95 delivered to the French army in 1952. Since the aeroplane has been upgraded to Super-Cub status, the serial number is of little help when locating spares, but I include this information for reference. We have successfully completed the mechanical renovation, much with the help of spares from Univair and are now in the process of covering and finishing. We are using the Ceconite system and have the wings and flying surfaces finished up until the first layer of Rand-O-Proof.

I am now in the process acquiring paint to finish the job, but am a bit mystified by the quantities recommended in the Ceconite manual. This calls for 10 gallons of Clear Non-Tautening Butyrate Dope, 10 gallons of Rand-O-Fill Silver Butyrate Dope, 10 gallons of Colored Butyrate Dope and for each the same amount of Butyrate Thinner. All-in-all that comes to 60 gallons of liquid to spray on the airplane and I find it hard to imagine that this is reasonable. Anyone out there who has made this job and can give me a hint?

Cheers!
/Lars

You might try calling the Stewart System in Ohio,USA.they can help you with what they have that will work from where you are right now. It’s my understanding that it is very expensive to ship paint that is hazardous. The Stewart System paint can be shipped non hazmat and can save you a ton of money. Also the paint comes out beautiful.[FONT=&quot]General Inquiries:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]740-966-5290[FONT=&quot]Tech Support: 740-966-5290 ext. 2[/FONT]
[h=2]Email:[/h][FONT=&quot]Sales Inquiries: sales@stewartsystems.aero
Tech Support: info@stewartsystems.aero
Webmaster: stewartsystemsonline@gmail.com[/FONT]

You might try calling the Stewart System in Ohio,USA.they can help you with what they have that will work from where you are right now. It’s my understanding that it is very expensive to ship paint that is hazardous. The Stewart System paint can be shipped non hazmat and can save you a ton of money. Also the paint comes out beautiful.General Inquiries:740-966-5290Tech Support: 740-966-5290 ext. 2
Email:

Sales Inquiries: sales@stewartsystems.aero
Tech Support: info@stewartsystems.aero
Webmaster: stewartsystemsonline@gmail.com
He already has Randoproof (nitrate) on the fabric. I wouldn't think Stewarts would work well over nitrate. Polyfiber is shipped non hazmat as well.

Back