• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oil temp

ross d

Brenham, Texas
Got a question for you motor heads. I “think”, my oil temp is running just a little too high. I know, I know, it’s starting to get hot out. Curious what you other SC drivers are running now. 160hp, 2400rpm, 80* outside. I’m at 200*. I believe that’s about 10* warmer than it use to be. Question is, do you ever have to flush out the oil cooler? I know 200 is ok but I’m thinking about when it really starts getting hot.

Oil coolers can become oil filters in my experience. On a spalled cam engine we ran solvent through one all weekend in a gunk tank and it still had crap inside on Monday. Others know more about normal temps.

Gary

How many hours are on the oil cooler? If high time think about replacing with new or overhaul:

http://www.oilcoolers.com/overhauled_oil_coolers.asp

Also, test your vernatherm and if defective, replace:

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/SI1255A Thermostatic Oil Cooler Valve Replacement.pdf

612E0859-0E24-4470-B562-5F8053AEBE45.jpeg

Cylinder ring ‘Blow by” also effects oil temps too. Are compressions good?

Attachments

• 612E0859-0E24-4470-B562-5F8053AEBE45.jpeg
    612E0859-0E24-4470-B562-5F8053AEBE45.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 163
Compressions all 78 or better and about 1200 on the engine SMOH and about 2800 TT. I have know idea if it’s the original one on this engine or airframe or not. I find nothing in the logs about the cooler. Thought about the vernatherm and will keep it in mind. I’m thinking it’s just been a slow creep in temp rise. Thanks for the info. Curious what others are running.

I run @ 6 qts pretty consistently. My temp lately has been about 120 over ambient, not critical but I’m almost positive that’s about 10 higher than I use to run.

I run @ 6 qts pretty consistently. My temp lately has been about 120 over ambient, not critical but I’m almost positive that’s about 10 higher than I use to run.

Im not a cub operator but an O320 @ 200F on a small light airframe seems a little high regardless. Your intuition may be valid.

Most every O-320 Cub with a chin cooler (assuming it flows freely) runs right around 110 over ambient, give or take a few. If you DO decide to replace the cooler, look into a Niagara aluminum unit. It takes a full 3lbs off the nose and cools slightly better than the old Harrison units. I have one and generally run 105-110 over depending on power, DA, etc.

Also try looking inside the valve covers for dark oil and exhaust stains. Compare looks near the exhaust valve among cylinders. Valve guides wear like piston rings and can pass gas with age :wink:.

Gary

Yeah, well valve guides and piston rings aren't the only things that pass increasing amounts of gas with age.

Aluminum front mount cooler and Sutton exhaust. Usually 210. It’s always ran that way for me in the summer. Highest I’ve seen it was 235 in west Texas in June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m trying my best to wear it out. I’m running a steady 120-125 above ambient. Sasser has given up on me. He knows I’m unemployed! I’m pulling the cooler off tomorrow and sending it out. I’ll let everyone know the results when I get it back.

Back