• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Stage Four in Idaho?

Eddie Foy

South Florida
Anyone planning a trip to the back country in Idaho. Utah? I would like to make one in mid July. Who is interested?

Mr. Foy, I would be interested in making a Utah back country trip in July ... I own a PA 18 - Please call me at your convenience. ( 310 ) 415-0817 John Watkins

its not un-doable here in July but expect temps of 100+ by noon. Overnight in the mid 70's. Usually want to be done flying for the day by 10-11.

omg! You’re not seriously considering flying in the Utah backcountry in July, are you??!? Prepare for 100+ degree temps, no shade, hideously high density altitudes, flash floods & very squirrelly winds in the canyons.

We pilots that live in Utah fly to Idaho in July, where it’s hot, but not hell.

Wait until late September or October to fly the Utah backcountry, when the weather is usually perfect and less conducive to overheating the plane and pilot.

windy

Last edited:
Don’t forget the afternoon thermal dust devils too.
4A7D12A3-0094-4260-879D-3FA65F0DCD82.jpeg

Attachments

• 4A7D12A3-0094-4260-879D-3FA65F0DCD82.jpeg
    4A7D12A3-0094-4260-879D-3FA65F0DCD82.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 153
Guess I just need to go somewhere! Annual over and time to go.

omg! You’re not seriously considering flying in the Utah backcountry in July, are you??!? Prepare for 100+ degree temps, no shade, hideously high density altitudes, flash floods & very squirrelly winds in the canyons.

We pilots that live in Utah fly to Idaho in July, where it’s hot, but not hell.

Wait until late September or October to fly the Utah backcountry, when the weather is usually perfect and less conducive to overheating the plane and pilot.

windy

I agree with windy that Utah in July would be brutal - especially in a Cub with a skylight except in the early mornings and evenings.

I'd vote for Idaho, Eastern Oregon, Eastern Washington - PM me if you are up to anything on the east side of the Cascades and I may meet you.

Re: heat thru the skylight. For the last couple years I've been using the foil bubble stuff to block out my skylight on the RANS S-7S. Yes, I lost a bit of overhead viz, but I don't care as it really cools things down, especially when parked. Plus, when I am forced to fly under virga, I don't have to look up at the bottom of it, I hate that.

Foil bubble stuff?

Re: heat thru the skylight. For the last couple years I've been using the foil bubble stuff to block out my skylight on the RANS S-7S. Yes, I lost a bit of overhead viz, but I don't care as it really cools things down, especially when parked. Plus, when I am forced to fly under virga, I don't have to look up at the bottom of it, I hate that.

Foil bubble stuff?

This stuff, https://www.teksupply.com/contractor/supplies/cat1a;ts_tekfoil_reflective_foil_insulation.htmlamazingly efficient and super light, I use a couple pieces in my crane cab to keep the sun off me, it's one of those products that you will find innumerable uses for. Lowes, probably Home Depot, has small rolls, fairly cheap also. Now that I think about it, I need to get another chunk of it for the backside of the windshield, when tied down of course I've been using sectionals for that for years.

Another handy product with many uses is this stuff:https://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/cat;10001;shade_houses_material;bulk_shade.html It lets a breeze through, and you can see through it, I use it in the crane cab also. Available in various percentage of UV blockage, cheap, light, and indestructible.

The view out my back door, (outside Pocatello area) at 5640', snow level and ceiling at 6800', 37 degrees, spring time in Idaho!

Attachments

• IMG_20200617_081755021~2.jpg
    IMG_20200617_081755021~2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Guess I just need to go somewhere! Annual over and time to go.

Eddie, you’ve been up here enough to know the only bugaboo about ID/MT in the summer is firesmoke & given how wet it’s been in this quarter of the country, that’s a pretty low risk this summer. Come on up, love to see you here again.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Back