• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

The blob from the black CHT lagoon

Philly5G

England
I'm fitting 4*CHT thermocouples to monitor the new motor in my PA-12. Cylinders #1 and #3 installed just fine, but the probe fitting wouldn't catch in #2 and the whole hole felt too short and too wide, the same probe went into #4 just fine. I tried again with #2 using the probe from #4 and it still wouldn't fit, which obviously pointed to the cylinder and its CHT mounting hole.

I removed the oil tube and intake pipe from #2 and managed to get this photo of the CHT mounting hole

YN0w4a9OR76NARkdGMCIrg.jpg

there's obviously something shiny and blobby lurking in the CHT hole!!!! My theory is some molten weld or similar has dropped into the hole at some point whilst the cylinder was lying on a bench or floor, or something was in the hole when the cylinder went through some kind of heat cycle?!!

Measuring past the blob, the hole depth is 1.250 and the thread is correct at 3/8 32. Lycoming have suggested drilling out the blob to probe diameter, but being v.careful to not deepen the hole, so the CHT probe can snug up against the face at the end of the hole and get a proper reading and we're doing this tomorrow, so all will be fine, it's just a mystery of what it is and how it got there!!!

Has anyone ever seen something similar before!!! :roll:

Attachments

• YN0w4a9OR76NARkdGMCIrg.jpg
    YN0w4a9OR76NARkdGMCIrg.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 142
Looks like metal from fabrication or repairs. Use a thin punch and smack it a couple of times. That is usually enough to dislodge it.

Web

Plenty of times, although this is the first time I've seen this in a CHT well.

Web

This one was clinging on tightly Web :roll: so we used a smooth tube with a drilling bit on the very end to get rid of it!!

Ibefore

IMG_9987.JPG

and after!!

IMG_9989.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9987.JPG
    IMG_9987.JPG
    526.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_9989.JPG
    IMG_9989.JPG
    312.5 KB · Views: 114
Last edited: