• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Javron Wing Kit Question...

tcbetka

PATRON
Hi all,

Last fall I bought a kit for a set of wings from Jay, unassembled. It's the extended-length flap & aileron kit, with round tips. I got it as a kit because I was going to work with him to model the wing parts in Solidworks. As it turned out, he decided that he really didn't need them modeled after all...so I never modeled the components. So I have had this kit in my climate-controlled shop for the past 5-6 months now, and I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I was considering just building something for myself, like a Super-Chub based on the Wag Aero 2+2 which I have plans for. However I was recently offered a job that would require me to relocate from Wisconsin to Florida and work as a software test engineer. So now I have a bit of a dilemma: To sell this kit outright, or assemble it and sell the wings to someone looking to build something. The new company will move us, but I really won't have a shop once I get down there, and with the new job I am not at all certain when I might have time to build a project. Therefore I think it probably best to just go ahead and sell the entire kit.

Obviously it would easier to ship the kit to someone while it's still in pieces--many of the components are still in the original boxes from Javron. I would however have to make some crates for the spars, as those were delivered to me wrapped in packing blankets and shipping in the shipper's trailer. So they would need to be protected in a crate to be shipped to someone via freight. Still though, it's much easier to ship in the current form than as two assembled wings. I am an A&P so I am not afraid to assemble the parts from Javron though, and that might be more attractive to a potential buyer--because it's obviously less work than having to assemble the wings themselves.

Therefore I was hoping to get some opinions from builders: If you were in my situation, would you assemble the wings and sell them, or just try to sell them as an unassembled wing kit?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

TB

Sell them as a kit. You will probably be moving halfway through a wing assembly. Then what will you do with no shop and having to move a partially complete wing? Sounds risky at best. As a kit its already boxed. As a partial completion, oh my what a pain in the butt it sounds like without damage.

Sell them as a kit. You will probably be moving halfway through a wing assembly. Then what will you do with no shop and having to move a partially complete wing? Sounds risky at best. As a kit its already boxed. As a partial completion, oh my what a pain in the butt it sounds like without damage.

I'm starting to lean that way actually. But I will say that the new job will require a clearance, and I've completed that paperwork--but it's been 6-7 weeks now, and from what I'm being told everything has been delayed due to COVID. So in that sense I would have access to my shop here for at least another 2-3 months as far as I can tell. However I get the feeling that when things start to pop again, they're going to move fast...and your point about having to start getting ready to relocate before the wings are assembled (or sold). That's why I thought it prudent to take a few days and ask for thoughts/opinions from folks here.

Bill Rusk's wing build thread seemed to indicate that you could assemble a set of wings in 80-100 hours. Adding the customary 50% for a "these-are-the-first-ones-I've-done" fudge factor, it could be as much as 130-150 hours to actually finish them. Thus I am thinking now that it just might be wiser to simply list them as in unassembled kit form. Heck...if someone was close and had a big trailer, I could even throw in a 20-foot build take.

Thanks for your post.

TB

Nope...just the wing kits alone. As I mentioned, I really got the kit in order to model the parts in Solidworks, as Jay was interested in potentially using the model to aid in designing wings to support a gross weight increase. So I just wanted to start with the basic wing kit, and didn't get any tanks or struts with it.

TB

Good question--I think they are set up for standard tanks in each wing, as I recall. I just called Javron now, but Jay is out for a few days. I seem to remember though that I got them set up for a 24-gal tank in each wing. But being as though they aren't yet assembled, the fellow who builds the wings there told me the worst-case scenario is that you'd just need an extra tank-bay rib for each wing in order to make the 18-gal tank wing into a 24-gal tank wing. But I intended to use an Lycoming 180 or even 200 engine, so I'm pretty confident they would have been ordered for at least 24 gallons per wing.

TB

Just got a call from Javron: The wing kit has "square" tips (not the wooden tip bows), set up for a 24-gal tank in each wing.

Last edited:
I'll chime in with sell them as a kit. I think (just off the cuff) that most builders would rather have a complete kit rather than completed wings. So that means the time you spend building the wing is likely to be discounted.

I'm in line now for a Javron wing kit. Call me, maybe we can work something out.

Blue Skies,
Denny 636.795.7033

I do want to add that a member on this forum has rendered the Cub in Solidworks. Probably with the original style ribs. I do not have a link to his thread at hand.

Back