• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

C185a

bush4

Hi everyone, I want to have your feedback about Cessna 185A with the stock 260hp and Robertson’s stol kit. The plane is on 2870 floats. Pros and cons... Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Seriously? What’s not to like? Great airplane, great engine, great performing floats. That being said, those floats are a bit on the small side so watch your load. With the light empty weight airframe that 260 will do just fine. Consider and fly it like a 180 that has an extra 30hp and a bit heavier empty weight. My uncle had (and still does but I)-550 now) an early 185 with a 260hp engine and he did a lot with it.

Kurt

Some guys says it’s underpowered and it is a piece of crap, the engine have 40smoh, propeller 40snew. All the frame is like new, 3000h airframe, never used commercially, no hard landing. I think it have 950lbs of payload. Do you know if I can put legally cap3000 under this plane with this engine (IO-470) ?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Yes, I think you can. My uncle had CAP 3000’s on his 1963 I0-470 powered 185. I do not know if it was STC approved or field approval.

Kurt

I agree with Kurt, that should be a great airplane. And, I agree that 2870 floats are pretty small for that airplane, but they are great floats.

CAP 3000 floats are approved on the 185, but I'm not sure which models of 185. They are very nice floats, particularly on a light 185.

That thing should be a great airplane, in any case.

MTV

Thanks guys! If you have any advise or thing to watch regarding that model of cessna, I would be glad to read it

Thanks guys! If you have any advise or thing to watch regarding that model of cessna, I would be glad to read it

If you buy it, and you haven't flown 185s before, be sure to get a good checkout with a well qualified 185 instructor.

MTV

No hard landing? How would you know it it had one or more?

Some guys says it’s underpowered and it is a piece of crap, the engine have 40smoh, propeller 40snew. All the frame is like new, 3000h airframe, never used commercially, no hard landing. I think it have 950lbs of payload. Do you know if I can put legally cap3000 under this plane with this engine (IO-470) ?

No hard landing? How would you know it it had one or more?

prebuy inspection, logs... all landing gear attach points, wing attachments, check the AD's, etc... (ex. Cessna 206 saddles in main landing gear something always good to check) and as bush4 said...

Back