• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What is this?

mraemartin

FRIEND
Montana
Anyone know what airplane this is? Found it tucked away in Kuwait, side by side, plate on the inside says J5 but it doesn’t look like a piper J5. IMG_9675.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

IMG_9674.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9675.JPG
    IMG_9675.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_9674.JPG
    IMG_9674.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
It is an Auster, basically the British took the Taylorcraft and applied steroids to build mil spec artillery spotters. Brit mil spec meant these aircraft have empty weight in the 1,500 lb plus range.

One version was clipped wing and aerobatic, and flew the first Avalanche at Farnborough air show in the 1950’s. Avalanche is a flick roll at the top of a loop, fun manoeuvre but requires finesse to get the flick right.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Awesome, thank you! Any idea how rare they are? is it worth trying to acquire and take back to the states?

I flew an Auster in England many years ago. Airfield was a huge grass square. I remember distinctly that when you turned your head to the left, you were looking directly into the wing root. Dreadful. I also remember that while we were flying a Chipmunk was doing loops in the clouds. I asked my instructor if that was legal. Oh yes, when he's in the cloud he's IFR, and when he isn't, he's VFR.

I have an Auster J/5G - it’s like a 4 place Super Cub. Great aircraft - mine has the weird Blackburn Cirrus Major engine of 155hp - designed by the same brilliant engineer who designed the De Havilland Gypsy engine and Napier Sabre H 24. It is 1430 lbs empty but has an AUW of 2500 lbs. There were around 200 J/5s built in all.

Back