• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Proposed AD from existing service bulletin on all 180 and 185 models.

It would seem that an STC'd part would eliminate the AD, as it is no longer the factory part the AD addresses. I can see the FAA having a mandatory inspection on the STC, doing what the STC is thought.

An example: If you have a stock muffler, you have an AD. If you run Atlee's you don't.

We really need to be thankful guys like Bill, Joe and so many others are out there finding fixes and making parts for our old planes.

Here is the AMOC for the Atlee muffler. Sutton has one as well.

Attachments

• Atlee Dodge Heavy Duty Muffler Recurring AD-AMOC.doc
    75 KB · Views: 278
  • Atlee Dodge Heavy Duty Muffler Recurring AD-AMOC.pdf
    222.3 KB · Views: 226
I hope Bill's building up inventory. If and when the AD becomes real, there will be a lot of inspections happening at the same time.

I did exactly one of those inspections. Took me two weeks! You need really small fingers and special tools just to remove the simple stuff, like elevators. I will decline doing another . . .

I did exactly one of those inspections. Took me two weeks! You need really small fingers and special tools just to remove the simple stuff, like elevators. I will decline doing another . . .

been over a decade i think since I last had that fun, but key step, is remove center blots to elevator/control arm.... that lets elevators hang down(up???), then you can get more wrench travel on elevator attach bolts(2).... simple job.....

A big help is if the last guy installing elevators attach bolts used reduced diameter nuts, the smaller wrench allows more rotation when removing or installing.

seriously??????? simple job!
In 1975 a brand new 180 dropped the gear sprocket off one of the trim screw jacks. It took me 18 hours to remove and replace the entire tail to get at it. There were too many parts which had to be removed to get at the next part. This airplane had less than 20 hours total time. When they are new you take extra care not to scratch the paint.

That inspection plate on the bottom of the tail cone came out after this airplane was built.

Like most things we worry about removing the tail feathers is not a big deal at all. It took me less than an hour to have all the tail pieces off. Ours is a 1976 180J so while I had it apart I went ahead and installed the SB kit along with the extra plate on the rear of the horiontal stabilizer that the 185's have. Took the opprotunity to clean everything up and grease the jack screws. I do not have the top access panels and it still took less than 4 hours including installing the SB parts from Cessna.

Like most things we worry about removing the tail feathers is not a big deal at all. It took me less than an hour to have all the tail pieces off. Ours is a 1976 180J so while I had it apart I went ahead and installed the SB kit along with the extra plate on the rear of the horiontal stabilizer that the 185's have. Took the opprotunity to clean everything up and grease the jack screws. I do not have the top access panels and it still took less than 4 hours including installing the SB parts from Cessna.
If you don’t mind, what did the parts co$t from Cessna Land?

Cessna has a kit that complies with the service bulletin that was issued a few years back. The kit is basically a formed doubler for the front spar of the vertical stab and the rivets to attach it and new hardware. Even though the later model fuselages are the same on 180/185 the gross weight is higher on the 185 and the factory places a doubler on the front spar of the horizontal stab where the bolts carry through to the fuselage bulkhead.

What we did was remove the stab hinge bolts and lifted the stab all the way up. The boroscope just made easy work of what would ordinarily be mirror and flashlight technique.

Ok. I guess that is possible.

But I was amazed at how easily the whole tail came off. I guess it was three or four hours work, but not difficult. I was also amazed at how light the fin was. I would have been a whole lot more judicious going around weather when I was younger knowing what I know now.

I too did the Cessna SK180-43 doubler that CKearns is talking about. And Bill Duncan's hockey stick STC. $1,630 plus $6,000 AUD for parts. So I guess $5,300 USD but freight is expensive to AUS. Bill has reduced the price of the hockey stick STC by a thousand USD and has very graciously refunded any of the early uptakes. A fantastic and generous offer. So now 4K USD for both.

I've no regrets, pulling the tail off has been a worthwhile job. Now to get it back on. :)

I did the qmi kit in my 185 as I found cracks on my left hockey stick. I took my whole tail apart to do the inspection. The qmi kit has the advantage of upping the inspection interval to 10 years 1500hrs (I think) after installation. The kit was way better than replacing the hockey sticks. Took me better part of a week but I also did some painting and rebuilt my trim.

been over a decade i think since I last had that fun, but key step, is remove center blots to elevator/control arm.... that lets elevators hang down(up???), then you can get more wrench travel on elevator attach bolts(2).... simple job.....

like i said, been a while since i did one.... think i remember trick...

the inner bearing bolts can be gotten to once removing center pivot arm, then using 1/4" sockets and extensions from center, out to the bolts..... much faster...

Ok. I guess that is possible.

But I was amazed at how easily the whole tail came off. I guess it was three or four hours work, but not difficult. I was also amazed at how light the fin was.
OK, but no way am I removing the tail every 5 years for the recurring AD.

I am on the side of the converted. A very thorough inspection is necessary both in the beginning of ownership and after some time. How the plane is used determines what “some time” might mean.
We found the service bulletin cracks, plus we had the multi-layer vertical spar cracks (which the doubler kit will not cover - once cracked, you must replace), plus a previous owner had done a poor (and not airworthy) splice of tail brackets further forward that my pre-buy unfortunately did not discover. Testament to having a pro look at the plane before buying. I didn’t and basically have a new tail now. Expensive, but I know what’s there and that’s reassuring, given how the plane is used.
For those who have knowingly pencil whipped that part of their airplane’s anatomy, what you’re not seeing in a cursory annual inspection may very well shock you (or kill ya)...

Not wanting to minimise the importance of the SB, but have there being many airframe structural failures on strut wing Cessnas? Perhaps some lost to VMC into IMC spiral dives, or severe turbulence encounters?

Obviously agree that proper attention is merited and shouldn’t be pencil whipped, but the airframes appear to have been well designed given their longevity.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

“Reports have been received of cracks in the tailcone reinforcement angle, stabilizer hinge bracket and stabilizer. Noncompliance with this service letter may allow crack(s) to go undetected. Undetected cracks may cause structural failure of the horizontal stabilizer and could result in the loss of control in flight.
https://support.cessna.com/custsupt/contacts/pubs/ourpdf.pdf?as_id=49452

Dunno, but above is enough cautioning for me to not ignore the potential issue.
Not wanting to minimise the importance of the SB, but have there being many airframe structural failures on strut wing Cessnas? Perhaps some lost to VMC into IMC spiral dives, or severe turbulence encounters?

Obviously agree that proper attention is merited and shouldn’t be pencil whipped, but the airframes appear to have been well designed given their longevity.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

“Reports have been received of cracks in the tailcone reinforcement angle, stabilizer hinge bracket and stabilizer. Noncompliance with this service letter may allow crack(s) to go undetected. Undetected cracks may cause structural failure of the horizontal stabilizer and could result in the loss of control in flight.
https://support.cessna.com/custsupt/contacts/pubs/ourpdf.pdf?as_id=49452

Dunno, but above is enough cautioning for me to not ignore the potential issue.

Normal problem. Should not be surprising to your mechanic

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I'm curious just how many airplanes out of the fleet have had this damage discovered.
10%, 50%, ??

Did it on mine with 12,000 hours. No cracking.
I suspect that it depends on how much and what type of abuse the airplane has been put under. Some planes are really abused in short amounts of time. Others, are treated like the proverbial little old lady taking it to church on Sundays. This AD does not address those possibilities.

Back