• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bison Hunting Idaho or Oregon?

tbone

Twin Cities, MN KANE
Minnesota Resident looking for advice on any experience hunting or seeing Bison in the lower 48. I have been applying for SD license but the lottery is hard on non-residents.
I also have herd (see what I did there) that Idaho and Oregon are home to a small amount of Bison and you do not need a tag.
Before dropping $5k+ on a “farm hunt” I’d love to get a wild one and am willing to drive for the meat and experience.

Anyone have experience in Bison Hunting or see some in Idaho or Oregon?

A guy I know passed on his usual elk hunt a few years ago & went after bison instead.
He expected it to be a bit of a "fish in a barrel" thing-- he got one,
but told me it was a true fair chase hunt for wild bison and a lotta work.
Just as much as for elk.
I think he normally elk hunts in Utah & I kinda remember that's where the bison hunt was too.

I’ve heard the same. Tougher hunt than is expected. Let us know what you find out.

i think packing an elk out on your back is a lot of work. I cannot literally imagine packing out a Bison. Great freezer filler though. Good luck

My Dad and I raised buffalo and sold hunts for years, the big bulls go off on there own and in rough country can be a challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

To me that is like shooting cattle. Sport? I think not. This is from a life long hunter.
Never hunted them, but from volunteering at the Oklahoma Tall Grass Prairie Preserve, I can confirm that Bison are far from ever being considered Cattle.

Last edited:
Back