• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

The Singing Cessna: VG's in the clouds

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
A whole lot of folks have never been in the clouds with their VG's, or at least should not have been given the certification on their aircraft. I was doing ia instrument proficiency check with a member here the other day in a well appointed C182 with VG's. It was a great day for IFR work as we were in and out of the clouds a lot. Everytime we would enter the clouds, there was some airframe "singing" (more of a whimisical hum). The owner - who has lots of time in lots of planes including other 182's in IFR said he thought it was the VG's as that was the only difference.

My VG equipped C-180 does not sing in the clouds, anybody else have this experience or a better explanation of what is going on?

sj

My 180 sung in the clouds before VGs and now sings the same tune in the clouds with VGs.

I have no idea why the 180 sings in the clouds.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Last edited:
I remember Cessna’s singing in the rain long before VG’s. Never really gave much thought as to why. Some minute disruption in airflow around air vents or some other anomaly maybe.

I remember Cessna’s singing in the rain long before VG’s. Never really gave much thought as to why. Some minute disruption in airflow around air vents or some other anomaly maybe.

This was weird because although there was moisture in the clouds of course, it was not "raining" per se.

sj

I've had VG's sing on fabric pipers when tied down in a stiff breeze. It took something gusting over 30 mph on the airspeed to get them to raise their voice enough to be heard. Cessna's may be wannabe's too.

Gary

My totally stock 185 does the same thing. I’m pretty sure it has to do with the wing root vents, but I don’t know why it’s different inside clouds.

My totally stock 185 does the same thing. I’m pretty sure it has to do with the wing root vents, but I don’t know why it’s different inside clouds.

That’s exactly my recollection, that I was convinced it was those pull out vents.

Antennas maybe?
The roof mounted antenna on one of my farm pickups sings like crazy any time its foggy. My son removes the antenna when he drives during fog it's so bad.
Never noticed the 180 ever making that noise though.

Pat

During my freight dog days, there was often screaming coming from the cockpit during an ice laden approach to minimums. Does that count?

Pilots would sometimes stuff those copper Brillo scrubbing pads into the Cessna wing vents. Slows down the air in winter, keeps bugs out, and might quiet them some.

Attachments

• copper-wire-scouring-pad-BHFTMY.jpg
    copper-wire-scouring-pad-BHFTMY.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 143
I had a problem like this which was intermittent. It turned out to be the wing fuselage fairing. I calked the seam and that fixed it.

Certain Carbon cubs, when flown from Florida north, have quite a whistle if the wing root fairing at the leading edge isn’t tight against the windshield.
....sounds just like the warning alarm. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back