Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recovering my cub

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AKjurnees View Post
    There was a SuperCub in NC that was for sale then sold a year or two ago. I traveled to look at it, when they moved it to SC. A Local pencil whipper put a fresh Annual on it, you could stick a screwdriver through the lower longerons, wing damage from hitting a tree, bunch of other issues, flight controls and fabric just nasty. I walked away in disgust. It was sold to some guy in Alaska sight unseen. It wasn’t you was it?
    Definitly not that bird

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wireweinie View Post
    You have a lot of real estate on that panel. A little planning and you can shrink it considerably. A CGR-30P (no -30C) will put all engine instruments in one 3 1/8" hole. Winters makes 2 1/4" altimeter and airspeed instruments. Keep the vertical card compass and move the ELT switch to the left overhead panel so that either pilot or backseat can reach it. Change the breakers to Klixon style (smaller). Can't see what com you have but consider a Becker or Trig and a stand alone intercom. Don't install ADS-B unless you NEED it (not WANT it). Move the battery under the pilots seat. B&C or plane power alternator on engine accessory drive. All lights changed to LED's.

What you must install, make as light and small as possible. Move needed items as close to the CG area as reasonable. And don't install anything that isn't absolutely needed.

Web
    No plans to install ADS-B.

Good idea with the ELT relocation

Transceiver/intercom is an Xcom and I'm happy with it. Small and lightweight. No transponder

All lights are LEDs

Has lightweight battery installed under front seat and alternator on the accessory drive

I'll look into those breakers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    Buying a new fuselage has several advantages. If you do I would not have it painted or power coated until you fit the interior and rig the tail and wings. I don't think I have ever seen a new fuselage that did not need several tabs, fittings, welding done to it. Bunch of guys at Skwentna that will help you spend your money.
    DENNY
    Sadly I wont be able to attend now. Flying back to work on Saturday instead of the following Monday. So far I've missed it every year since I've bought the cub

Post Thanks / Like
    I've attached a few pictures from the initial appraisal I had done when I bought it back in 2017. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200529_223036.jpeg 
Views:	106 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	49137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200529_222944.jpeg 
Views:	93 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	49138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200529_222917.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	49139Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200529_222824.jpeg 
Views:	86 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	49140

Sent from my SM-N975U using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Lead View Post
    Am I correct that's a 1951 airframe? 69 years is a long time - personally I'd rather assume this recover will be good for 25 years (maybe less in AK) and put my money into a new airframe.

I just sleep better knowing I have better steel, better welds, lower TT and way less corrosion. The money you put into stripping, inspecting, patching and powder coating could go part way to a new frame with all the options.

Just my 2 cents though. I like that panel layout as the blue areas look easy to scan.
    Got to discussing this with my welder buddy this morning. He has been with Air Tractor as a welder 30 plus years. He and I have never seen an issue with a Piper weld. All failures from wrecks have been outside the heat effected zone. Also, the 4130 in Piper frames is virgin material and welds much nicer than modern day 4130 that has all kinds of recycled metals in it. The welders at Air Tractor started complaining about how some of the new tubing welded and even smelled. They tested some of it and found it didn't meet the speck. They have had several issues like that in recent years.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes Hardtailjohn, Herc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    OK here’s my 2C, sell it and buy somebody else’s dream airplane. The seventy and the value of your cub would put you into one already done. Saves you years of flying time and the resale will be the same. One year down turns into two-three on and on at a blink of an eye.Husky’s can be purchased in the low 100’s and they are fairly new and usually have lots of good stuff in them. I’ve got a Husky that was to be a one year fix and three years now, should fly this summer. Had a PA-12 for at least 6 years( total wreck ) and no est. when it will fly again. Good luck hard decision.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having recently gone through this I agree with the above. My airplane was part of the family and a 6 month fuselage only rebuild turned into 2.5 years and it was still just a fuselage only rebuild. It was the right thing for the airplane, but a poor financial decision and missed flying opportunities. The second time I bought another cub during the interim. Poor financial decision but no missed flying opportunities.
    In the end I think ignore all the feelings and just make good financial decisions.
    Likes 1934A liked this post