• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

HDHP: Lori MacNichol - Intro To Backcountry Flying - Wednesday June 10, 7pm CDT

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
loriopening.png

Lori MacNichol is the owner of McCall Mountain/Canyon Flying Seminars, a flight school located in McCall, Idaho. This school provides an educational introduction to the special type of airmanship skills and knowledge needed to operate safely in mountains and deep canyons in the backcountry terrain.

Lori learned to fly in McCall, Idaho in 1982 through her love of fishing. She knew the best fish were in the most remote spots and to get to them, she needed a pilot license. The private pilot license led to commercial and flight instructor ratings at which point Lori carefully began keeping notes on the unique skills and peculiarities of backcountry flying. While continuously expanding her experiences working as an air taxi pilot, she absorbed invaluable insight to the Idaho wilderness. She added multiengine, seaplane ratings and is also qualified as an airline transport pilot.

Throughout all of this Lori considers flight instruction to be her true calling in aviation.

This Presentation will be instructional in nature, delivering fundamental tools to keep pilots safe while flying in the backcountry.

If you have registered for other HDHP presentations, you are already registered and can join up with the meeting details you received.

To register and join on Zoom, go here: https://bit.ly/2XBRxsp

Watch it on Youtube Live (or after the fact) here: https://youtu.be/6-3uZrsKdcU

We know everybody is not awake or can attend at this time so all presentations are recorded and saved on YouTube for future viewing with the link above.

Check out ALL the HDPD Presentations here! click me

Attachments

• loriopening.png
    loriopening.png
    1 MB · Views: 3,455
Folks, an outstanding presentation by Lori! Be sure to take the time to watch this one on YouTube!

sj

I saw a power point presentation that emphasized points that most seasoned pilots here learned a long time ago. Did I miss how to do a canyon turn?

I saw a power point presentation that emphasized points that most seasoned pilots here learned a long time ago. Did I miss how to do a canyon turn?

Eddie, you created a performance card for each of your planes in the manner she described?

sj

Last edited:
I commited it to memory! The performance data is carried in the seat pocket. When the fertilizer hits the ventilator, a card won't save you.

Great presentation covering the basics. Basics that can save lives! The popularity of backcountry flying is growing rapidly and there are a lot of newcomers who need this info to stay safe and realize the dangers. The seasoned pilots can do a lot of good by sharing with the newbies. Not all of us have the benefit of extensive military and airline training and discipline Eddie.[emoji6]

I posted my personal feedback. I get your point.
Great presentation covering the basics. Basics that can save lives! The popularity of backcountry flying is growing rapidly and there are a lot of newcomers who need this info to stay safe and realize the dangers. The seasoned pilots can do a lot of good by sharing with the newbies. Not all of us have the benefit of extensive military and airline training and discipline Eddie.[emoji6]

I enjoyed the presentation. It brought back exciting flying memories of some wonderful supercub.org members, of how beautiful the Idaho backcountry is and how unforgiving and dangerous it can be. Thank You SJ and Lori !

Thank you Lori,
As a flatlander I found your presentation most enjoyable.

VT Glenn

Did I miss how to do a canyon turn?

Great stuff SJ.
All should trigger food for thought.

Eddie.
Maybe you could start the discussion on this question based on your experiences.
Is it better to start out slow to reduce your turn radius or start out fast and trade speed for altitude to reduce your turn radius.

Last edited:
In the Q and A period the question was asked about simulating density altitude for folks who mostly base at airports under 1000’. An easy way to do this is land and takeoff with a tailwind. With the POH and a Koch chart it should be easy to compute how much tailwind would equal varying altitudes.

Interesting idea!
In the Q and A period the question was asked about simulating density altitude for folks who mostly base at airports under 1000’. An easy way to do this is land and takeoff with a tailwind. With the POH and a Koch chart it should be easy to compute how much tailwind would equal varying altitudes.

Sent from my Pixel using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I know how to do one. I thought that her presentation would have included one.

Great stuff SJ.
All should trigger food for thought.

Eddie.
Maybe you could start the discussion on this question based on your experiences.
Is it better to start out slow to reduce your turn radius or start out fast and trade speed for altitude to reduce your turn radius.

Well I guess I don't know what your point is. I really like how SJ is doing this. I just kept looking for more from one who has spent that much time in the Back Country. I have been there twice. I was just looking for more. Didn't mean to start a big deal. I am never to old to learn.

Wasn't my point. I know you know how to do one..

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Well I guess I don't know what your point is. .

I was trying to give you an opening to start a discussion. Lori teaches maneuvering slow to decrease turn radius in canyons. Obviously that works well in the mountains. What are some other options. I can barely keep away from 200 foot hills sometimes when i get too low and slow.

There are a million YouTubes on how to do a canyon turn. That was just one example of something a little more advanced.
I was trying to give you an opening to start a discussion. Lori teaches maneuvering slow to decrease turn radius in canyons. Obviously that works well in the mountains. What are some other options. I can barely keep away from 200 foot hills sometimes when i get too low and slow.

Well i guess ill just go to u tube and carry on a conversation with myself. Been doing a lot of muttering to myself lately anyway.

The type of plane matters a lot too. I would have guessed trade airspeed for a little altitude during the turn. More than likely it’s lower terrain where you just came from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting idea!
When I was taught to fly, my instructor demonstrated high density altitude take offs by restricting the throttle with his hand, using less than full power for the take off and climb. This was done before solo in a 65 hp Champ. His point was made and etched into my mind. No charts necessary.

I heard Lori talk about "Abort aviation" mentality, stall margin, canyon speed/configuration and flying close to the wall to maximize available space. That is pretty comprehensive discussion of turn around principles for an "intro to backcountry."

When I follow the principles she gave I don't find myself in places where I need superior skills or fancy maneuvers to survive.

As a lower time guy my personal minimum is completing the 180 degree turn in less than half the available space, using a level, 45 degree banked turn at my canyon speed/configuration. If I use more than half the valley in a trial turn, it is time to go higher or get out of there.

Most people teaching on youtube do not have Lori's resume. Can we invite her back for another backcountry flying webinar SJ?

When I was taught to fly, my instructor demonstrated high density altitude take offs by restricting the throttle with his hand, using less than full power for the take off and climb. This was done before solo in a 65 hp Champ. His point was made and etched into my mind. No charts necessary.

Reducing the throttle works fine for takeoff. Landings though are a different kettle of fish.

Reducing the throttle works fine for takeoff. Landings though are a different kettle of fish.

Yes, and even takeoffs are different. High density altitude has a significant effect on engine power, thrust AND lift. So, just reducing power on takeoff sorta replicates high DA, but..... Best deal is to come up here to the hills and practice some actual density altitude ops.

MTV

Power on a recipe decreases faster, with increased DA between 80-105 F faster than, increasing DA of temperatures below 80.

Which means the increase in induction air temperature alone is not linear on powers output. Be extra caution with temps above 90F. Combustion forces are different than let’s say propeller or wing lift. The engine relies on differential heat not “aerodynamic lift”.

Yes, and even takeoffs are different. High density altitude has a significant effect on engine power, thrust AND lift. So, just reducing power on takeoff sorta replicates high DA, but..... Best deal is to come up here to the hills and practice some actual density altitude ops.

MTV

Yes. BZN on a 95-100 degree day will open eyes for those used to the low levels. Nice big runway, too.

I remember a C150 with two big guys taking off and flying in ground effect for 2000 feet before giving up.

Back